News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging Upgrade

Started by Fe Man, August 05, 2009, 01:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

So for a noob question, what about an overall upgrade to the charging system, you know, something with greater output. I'd love to be able to run some sick lights and not worry about idle voltage and all that crap.

Stretch

I'm sorry to say it, but you've got the wrong bike for scads of high-draw electrical accessories, homes.  

A stock Tiger's charging system can put out a little over 350 watts, and the bike requires about 275 just to run... fuel pump, injectors, cooling fan, engine management computer, lights...

Upgrades can be made to the Regulator / Rectifier and wiring to help increase longevity, with a slight boost in voltage, but little can be done with the Alternator itself...

The Stator must fit inside a rather small rotor (which is in turn, the engine's flywheel, and requires a specific diameter to trigger the ignition system).  Therefore the Rotor size cannot be increased, and the Stator cannot be increased, since it has to fit inside the Rotor.  Oh, what a tangled web we weave.  We're big fans of a great bike with an anemic charging system.

Welcome to our world.