News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

rought idle, carbon fouled SP, stalling ......

Started by klingklang, August 09, 2009, 03:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klingklang

I have is my first major problem with "Darling"  I bought it in 2005 with 12K km and she's now at 65k and she's having hard times.  At the end of my last trip, the bike started to run rought at Idle and occasionnaly stop (often). high speed and acceleration is OK.  Now home, I started to check a few things.  

Carbon fouled spark plug: change but still carbon fouled after few hundred km.
Coil Pack resistance: OK
Air filter: OK
Injectors resistance: OK and (I removed them and checked the operation using a shringe with cleaner. they hold the pressure and open/close normaly)
Idle air control valve: dont know yet  hayne manual say resistance should be 47-59 ohms but dont specify on wich pins. (but after experimentations, the 2 external pins give me 57ohms while I have nothing on the others so it is probably OK)
Breather Hose: OK
Fuel pressure valve: ???

Tuneboy sensors looks OK and no error code too. ??????????

When the engine is running at idle, I could hear a little "tick" or "psssiit" sound somewhere in the top engine area. It is hard to perceive and to locate but withing half a secons after that "tick" the engine have an hesitation and a rpm drop.

Since I think that most problem are common to a model, probably that happen to someone else.  Please share your comments and suggestions.

sorry for my english and dyslexic typing  :?

Stretch

Just throwing out ideas here...

Throttle Position Sensor?  If it were sending incorrect signals, the ECM may be sending too much fuel for conditions.

Also, were all the plugs fouled, or just a certain one?  Maybe the Throttle Bodies need to be synchronized for proper operation at idle?

Maybe your Tuneboy tune has the engine running too rich at lower RPM.  A tune program that gives the engine the most power (a richer mixture) isn't the best one for touring and traffic.  Maybe a different tune is in order.

klingklang

most of all where fouled but increasing from 1 to 3
Why changing the tune if the same were OK for the last 4 years. I reinstalled it to make a kind of reset.

Thotle position sensor.  I did a reset with Tuneboy but how can I check  if it is OK physicaly?   Haynes just give the renoval/install. infos.   any resistances or else infos in genuine triumph manual?

Is a bad Throttle bodies adjustement can come suddenly unsync.?  anyway I'll try.

Stretch

Quote from: "klingklang"Thotle position sensor.  I did a reset with Tuneboy but how can I check  if it is OK physicaly?   Haynes just give the renoval/install. infos.   any resistances or else infos in genuine triumph manual?

The Triumph manual only states that the TPS reset is done with the Triumph diagnostic tool, and then goes through a set of instructions for reading the codes and using the Triumph tool.  No help there really, sorry.

Bixxer Bob

Concerning the "psst" noise.  Are the idle air hoses ok, no leaks?  Would cause roughness, but not the fouled plugs, that sounds like rich mixture as the others said.  Odd that it should suddenly start doing it though, you need to be sure all the sensors are working corectly.  Low air temp reading or low water temp reading would cause the ECM to add fuel.  A fault in the ECM air pressure tube or sensor would result in lean mixture so it's not likely to be that.  A bad TPS could also make for a rich mix but if you've reset it correctly by the Tuneboy instructions, that should be ok too.  Ecerything I've ever read about TPS says don't F with it, leave well alone.....

Sure is an odd one....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

A bad oxygen sensor could cause a rich mixture also.

klingklang

unless you have an oxygen sensor.....  not on 2000 canadian model

I tested the resistance in the throttle body sensor. Looks OK.  Starting form .4ohms and increasing steadily while playing with the butterfly and return to the same value after. (on rest)

Now my doubts is on the air pressure sensor. If that control pressure, I should have some resistance variation reading on some pins. I tested all then while blowing my brain out or sucking like ...(even in your wildest dreams) but got no significative variation in the resistance reading.

oooh ffu....  I just googled the number on the part and surprise: it a gm parts!!!!!!!  now I'm just currious to see the price difference at the triumph dealer

http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno ... 02284.aspx

klingklang

question: is water in the gas and have produce those symptoms?

Stretch

Found on another thread...

Quote from: "geotiger"Is your coolant temp gauge reading normal when the surging happens while running down the road?  If the gauge is intermittently working, it could all lead to the coolant temp. sensor.  

My sensor was bad and would occassionally make the gauge not work and it also fooled the ECU into thinking the bike was cold and thus  it dumps a lot of fuel to richen the mixture which then floods the system.  Once the extra fuel made it's way through the burn then it acted normal, well until the sensor acted up again.

Might be worth a try.  I didn't have any idle issues with mine though.

klingklang

Good Idea, I dont remember about the gauge when it happen but I'll check it tomorrow morning, beleave me

klingklang

colant sensor look ok   :cry:   first time I'm sad because a sender is OK.  

Please, Look at the following printscreens of my tuneboy applets.  Tell me if you see something wrong

Dash:

Sensors:  Note that the throttle bodies, fuel rails and injectors are off the bike. So, injectors are not connected. All other sensors were removed from air box and connected and the Throttle position sensor was also removed and connected.  This model does not have an O2 sensor.

I have a doubt on ISCstep value:88   and should the MAP volts be in highlight with a value

Errors:  Fuel sensor is not connected.  What is the #101?

Tests: Idle stepper test:  See nothing, hear nothing   test completed ?????   what should  I look for?

Also, dont know if it is normal but the little stepper motor for the stepper valve come very very hot.    63.6 degree Celsius = 146.48 degree Fahrenheit

iansoady

The ISC steps is similar to mine last time I looked (83) and my bike runs very well.

I can never hear the IACV when I run the test either - I assume it's so quiet I would have to have my ear touching it.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NortonCharlie

have you checked your valves?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bixxer Bob

Regarding the stepper motor.  With the engine off and ignition on, you should be able to hear the stepper motor cycling when you run the Tuneboy test - I can hear mine!!  The fact that you can't hear it, plus the fact that it gets hot suggests you may have a problem there - maybe sticking.  Just expose the top of the idle air control valve and then run the test.  You should be able to see the plunger in the centre move up and down.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

klingklang

I see it move but don't hear it.    Changed the TPS, did the valve and sync the TB.   Now everything back to normal.   Anyway I still dont trust the that stepper mottor.  It is on my ToDo next winter.  Loosed to much time with this !