News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Started by EvilBetty, August 10, 2009, 07:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I got my carbtune in the mail yesterday.  I can't wait to use it and tune up those TB's!  Other than that I'll just have the brake fluid and fork fluid left to do.

Besides that I noticed that my front Anakee is down to the wear bars.  I've got to take the bike up for a TOR tune, ECM check (figured what the hell while they are loading the TOR) after the TB balance, and probably service the head bearing.

Hard to believe this will be the first time I've taken the bike to the dealer for service, but I think the head bearing job exceeds the abilities of myself and my tool chest :(

My thought is that if I've got to have a new front tire installed and the head bearing probably replaced at the dealer, maybe I should have them do the forks too?

I really like doing the work myself, but since they are going to have the forks off for the head bearing, I figured all this work should be rather cumulative right?  I mean they have to pull the forks and front tire to work on the head bearing.

Has anyone had any luck getting honest per hour service from a Triumph dealer, or do they just charge what the book says for each?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Tom Herold

My experience is they charge by the book..... but....

I've also spoken with the mechanics one on one and found a few who do side work for far less because it's a cash deal and not shared with the dealership..... a couple are allowed to use the shop tools and lifts on their own time too.... not a bad deal to tell the truth.

Also, with the forks, my personal philosophy on them is if they aint leaking, don't mess with them until they are.  But then again, I do my own... and since they're off for the head bearings, there's nothing wrong with having them done if you feel so inclined... it's an even split on that one. I use All Balls Racing triple seals and dust caps, reasonably priced and high quality along with excellent customer service.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

jsingraham

E. B.  You might check with Cafe Racer down here in the West bottoms just west of downtown (down the 12th St. bridge and then a couple of blocks North.  I have not yet used them, but my neighbor has and likes their service quality and work.  I think they will work on any type of bike, and for something like what you are mentioning where there isn't necessarily a need for a "Triumph" mechanic to do the work, it might be worth reaching out to them.  Not sure how their rate is compared to the Local Triumph/BMW dealer, but I would maybe call them.

As tom said, I use the All Balls bearings too, and just recently put them in my 86 Honda Fatcat that I rebuilt.  Good quality and good prices too.  

Jason in KC
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)