News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i wants to throw me off!!

Started by GWL, August 14, 2009, 02:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWL

hi i'm new to forum and would be v.grateful for help. bought 955i 2001 40k miles tor can 2 weeks ago. rode back from bath to w.wales no probs.went to start it last week,started ok but ticked over 500rpm then cut out.got going eventually but v.rough running. rode to my local triumph dealer who remapped it for the can.idles slightly better (1000rpm) but runs terribly.hesitating and then suddenly surging then hesitating etc etc. its like it wants to throw me off.went back to dealer who said there were no fault codes showing.he could strip it down and try to find problem but at nearly £50 hr i could spend fortune and not find problem.it seems to get worse the further i ride until it is virtually unrideable. ive had bmw before so know about slight surging but this is ridiculous.when i first rode it home after buying it i thought it was such a brilliant bike but now im starting to hate it. i really dont want to but it is doing my head in. pleeeeease can anyone help? by the way i have checked hoses and connections to IACV and all are ok, :(

NortonCharlie

Start it without touching the throttle and let it idle for about 30 seconds.  Do that a couple of time to reset the throttle closed offset.  Then remember not to touch the throttle when starting it.  Of course this may have nothing to do with your problem but it is worth a try, it is free.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bixxer Bob

I've just been through a similar (but worse) situation with my dealer.  What I discovered was the dealer loaded a map that wasn't compatible with the Tiger (some dealers think - wrongly - that maps are interchangeable.  They're not!!)  Ask the dealer which map he installed  or maybe the number's on the invoice??? and post the number here, I'll try to indentify it for you.  It should be 010172 or 010173 - sometimes they drop the first zero.

Sorry, just noticed yours is an older model, the numbers should be 010120 or 010121
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

There's also the "Twelve-Minute Tune", to reset all the sensors.

With the engine stone-cold, start the bike without moving the throttle and let it idle.

Have a stop-watch or timer handy, and start the timer when the radiator fan turns on.  Let the bike idle for twelve minutes, touching nothing.  You don't want any input from brake lights, clutch switch, throttle, etc.

At the end of the twelve minutes, the ECU has reset all the input it had previously received from the various sensors (O2, atmospheric pressure, temperature, etc.).  

This is the starting point.  If this doesn't do the trick, then proceed to having the dealer check the ECU with the computer tool.

GWL

Thanx everyone, I will contact the dealer again and also try what you have all suggested and will let you know how I get on.   By the way what a friendly site this is. You've restored my enthusiasm for what I'm sure will turn out to be a great bike. 8)

geotiger

Is your coolant temp gauge reading normal when the surging happens while running down the road?  If the gauge is intermittently working, it could all lead to the coolant temp. sensor.  

My sensor was bad and would occassionally make the gauge not work and it also fooled the ECU into thinking the bike was cold and thus  it dumps a lot of fuel to richen the mixture which then floods the system.  Once the extra fuel made it's way through the burn then it acted normal, well until the sensor acted up again.

Might be worth a try.  I didn't have any idle issues with mine though.
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

KuzzinKenny

Hey GWL !! Welcome to the Tigger den  :D  just a thought, are you turnin the bike off with the key or the kill switch ?? if its the kill switch, its like pullin the plug out on yer computer, they don`t like it !! you must use the key to properly shut it down !!

Tenby, eh !! was down there a few years ago, great little place !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Stretch

No lie about the kill switch.  Don't use it.

GWL

Thanx for the suggestion but i never use the kill switch, always the key.Someone suggested to me that it might be the coils breaking down when warm... any thoughts? :? by the way my temp gauge seems to be reading "normal" :?

Stretch

Very possible.  Misbehaving coils usually only show problems once they warm up.  Girlies don't really have a reputation for malfunctioning coils, but anything can happen.

GWL

Went to my local Triumph dealer today and he told me the following:
"I cannot tell you what map is in your bike without plugging it in again"
(at a rediculous hourly rate)."we don't have any listings of the code numbers for the maps and don't keep records of which map we have used for each bike. The only maps available for the Tiger are:
Standard exhaust
Aftermarket exhaust
There is no such thing as an off road map"
I am amazed they don't keep records and think they are just out to make money out of someones (mine) misfortune. :cry:
I haven't tried the 12 minute tune yet as the bike is parked outside and it is p******g it down (typical Wales).Forcast sun tomorrow :)  so will try it then.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "GWL"Went to my local Triumph dealer today and he told me the following:
" The only maps available for the Tiger are:
Standard exhaust
Aftermarket exhaust
There is no such thing as an off road map"....

Same response as my dealer,  but deliberately missing the point.  The aftermarket pipe tune is the Triumph Off Road Tune because the aftermarket can is "not for road use".  And there are four tunes, depending on VIN number - actually there are 8 but 4 of them are for Brazil only.

Since he said that though, it's likely he put in one of the two he's talking about.  Stretch's suggestion is your easiest first option.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GWL

Still raining!!! Forcast was wrong (no surprise there). It's so frustrating not having a garage.Will try tomorrow :(

GWL

Stopped raining so went outside to try 12 minute tune. Bike started o.k but will now not tick over-just keeps cutting out. GRRRRRR!!! :?  :cry: :BangHead

GWL

thanks to everyone who has given advice. it is much appreciated. i have managed to empty my shed (10x8) and my bike is now in there (its a very tight fit!!). i am going to strip it down, check the IACV, change plugs , check valve clearances and change fuel filter. hopefully after all that the bike will at least tick over and i can ride it back to the dealer and get the map checked.if it doesn't go well then i don't know what to do but right now i'm going to think positive and hopefully my bike will be back on the road growling like a tigger should. so wish me luck and here goes...
p.s thanx to stretch and evil betty for the diagrams for tank removal/airbox etc etc. very useful :thumbsup and bixxer bob  for the map info.