News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

electrickery issue as in bike is broke

Started by zombie, September 12, 2009, 03:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie

So for the first time ever my bike let me down and stopped working in the middle of a very inconvient rain strom.
Here's the issue:
came to a stop at a stoplight and it cut out, not enough juice in the battery to fire it up. New battery less than 3 weeks old so I'm thinking regulator/rectifier thingy but I suck at electrics.
I know a couple of folks have had this issue and have thrown in aftermarket stuff to resolve it so any and all suggestions or help welcomed. Not sure if I need a new alternator but don't think so as the bike ran fine at speed but when I slowed down started to run like a bag of nails which has me thinking regulator is not regulating or some such like that.
Again any advice or help greatly appreciated as i do all my own work and can probably muddle me way through it
cheers mick
also my rain gear took the exact same time to pack in and i got soaked all the way through so all in all I'm very wet but not too put out as it's the first  time ever it's given me any grief which is not bad considering how I ride and the amount of abuse I pour on it in 48962 miles

Stretch

Might have been just the regulator to fail, but when it goes out and the alternator runs without a regulator / rectifier, the alternator usually gets killed soon after.  That's what happened with mine, anyway.

With Rick's replacements being so cheap (compared to the Triumph parts), just replace them both at the same time and be done with it.  

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

If time's not a factor, you can send your Triumph stator to Custom Rewind in Alabama, and they'll rebuild it for less than a hundred bucks.  I have more details about that, if you're interested.  Just shout.

But first, check the charging system fuse (#2 in the fuse block) and its connectors to the bike's wiring harness.  Sometimes the connectors to the charging fuse overheat and cook the connection until it no longer allows current to flow to the battery.

Keep us posted.

zombie

cheers stretch
I'll try the number 2 fuse and if not that I'm going to replace the stator and RR at the same time, I have an old suzi gs1000 streetfighter and I replaced the RR and stator with Electrex stuff and works great

zombie

just checked ricks site and it's 260bux for stator and regulator so I'll probably go down that road
cheers Stretch you da man and I'll be down your neck of the woods for xmas so we gotsta get together sometime and then I'm off to san diego for a ride to Mexico and belize and back

Stretch

:thumbsup

Say when.  You still have my number?  No sweat, I PM'd it to you.

AndyM

I'll throw in my 2cents for Rick's. Good stuff and a good outfit to deal with. Oh, and stay far far away from anything by ElectroSport.

REGULATOR

But first, check the charging system fuse (#2 in the fuse block) and its connectors to the bike's wiring harness. Sometimes the connectors to the charging fuse overheat and cook the connection until it no longer allows current to flow to the battery.

thats all that was wrong with mine when I feared for the worse

zombie

checked the fuse and it's good
so have taken off the regulator and way to go Triumph for sticking it where you did to make a relatively simple task difficult. The stator is relatively simple affair so hopefully i'll have the new stuff by wednesday and i'll be good to go

zombie

good to go , new stator and regulator installed and all is charging
thanks again stretch
later

Stretch

Capital.  Thanks for the update.