News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So... Who Is Using/Burning Excess Oil ??

Started by TigerTrax, September 26, 2009, 03:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordy

I have an '05 Tiger that started using oil at about 20,000klms (12,000ml).  It was an abrupt start and used just over a litre (1 qt) per 1,000klms (600mls).  I could not get it to blow visible smoke no matter how hard I rode it, there was no oil in the breather tube and the compressions were all with less than 10% variation and good. The l/h spark plug indicated oil burning due to deposits on it.  
I bit the bullet and replaced rings and valve guide seals at 53,000klm.  Inspection of the innards showed no abnormalities to bores (other than a little glazing to all), pistons nor valves. HOWEVER, the compression rings were as malleable as welding wire.  They could literally be bent over themselves without fracturing.  As stated above compressions were good.
It has only travelled 3,000klm and is usiing no oil so far. It will be tested out in March when I ride it over 10,000klm across Australia and back in end of summer desert heat.
Here's hoping I have has a win.
I have been an off road rider for more than 35yrs on and off.  This is the biggest chookie I have had.

\'03 Lucifer Red Tiger

Lordy

Oooops it's an '03 Tigger   :oops:
I have been an off road rider for more than 35yrs on and off.  This is the biggest chookie I have had.

\'03 Lucifer Red Tiger

redbirds

Oil use is a problem in many Roadies also, especially first year (07) bikes. The Tiger 1050 forum has several threads dealing with excessive oil use. Some bikes were found to have scored cylinder walls and defective pistons, most of which were dealt with under warranty I believe. As in most such cases, a good resolution to the problem was mostly dependent on having a dealer who cared about the customer.

My '07 was purchased as a demo with 700 miles on the clock. I have run Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil exclusively and zero oil use thus far. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Living vicariously through myself.

jphish

Evil' - I have an 06 model - I don't see a breather hose (as per the 05 and earlier picture). Did they do away with it, or relocate ?  Not using oil as far as I can tell - but got it used in Dec with 3K miles on it, and insufficient riding to ascertain oil consumption. Thanks, j

EvilBetty

Yes the 06's an other bikes with 1050 cases use a labyrinth breather system.  It doesn't have a breather hose and seal to worry about.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jphish

Gracias Evil'- Appreciate (I think) that i don't have one. The 06 appears to be an odd beast, a mix of the old and new. Sort of a collection of spare parts from the 05's and 07's to create an 06'. Maybe it's a 'collectors item' like my 08 Uly?

EvilBetty

The labyrinth breather system is a huge improvement over the centrifugal breather IMO.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jphish

Evil' - Thats good to know! I bought an 06 quite unintentionally. I was looking at an 05 when this one poped up as a 3K mile trade in on a GS1200 @ the Seattle BMR dealer. No farkles other than centerstand, but apparently I made a good choice without even being aware. Sometimes its better to be lucky than smart. Still learning about this machine & the essentials - like tank guards, heated grips, mustang footpegs etc. So far it's a very compatible relationship - I'm short, but use to tall beasts (KLR & Uly) I  Appreciate all the knowledge that you more experienced Tiger owners willingly share. Hope to see you at the Sept Tiger fest in Wa. Regards, j