News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First ride... Hmmm

Started by NeilD, October 05, 2009, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "NeilD"front end seemed a little 'light' almost flappy when pushing on a bit.. would increasing the preload on the rear shock put more weight on the front end?

yes put some preload on the rear shock and then pull the forks up in the triple trees by about a 1/4 inch and you will be pleasantly surprised

Sin_Tiger

Check your chain adjusters, they might have been "flipped" 180 degrees to lower the back end. If the spindle is at the top it's been done, spindle should be at the bottom.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

just checked and spindle is at the bottom... I'll have a play with the suspension at some point..

had another nice ride out today..  8)

although found another job to add to the list - bike started the 'running out of petrol' thing so i flipped on to reserve, and it continued doing it!  :shock: fortunately it was just as I got to a petrol station.. fuel light hadnt come on either, but managed to put 21 litres in.. ran fine then, even on reserve... think i  need to pull the tap off and check the lower bit of the filter for crud...

ramseybella

Quote from: "BR"I'm not thrilled with the oem rubbing block... doesn't last all that long and is too small, wrong location etc... but that's just me.  Here's a worn out one:

and here's the replacement during install... yup, less than $20 each at dealer.

I've actually now removed mine completely and replaced it with a large plastic fixed rubbing block that sits just below the swingarm pivot.  No pic right now but I'll give some details later.  Sort of a fix for a non-problem  :roll: .

Brendan
'98 Steamer

Show us a photo of this rig and how you fixed it to the frame!!
I can get tons of white Teflon blocks from work in short an enless suply!!
 :lol:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "ramseybella"I can get tons of white Teflon blocks from work in short an enless suply!!

Couldn't get somebody to turn them up into a bobbin then mod an old bracket to make a roller  :?:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ramseybella

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "ramseybella"I can get tons of white Teflon blocks from work in short an enless suply!!

Couldn't get somebody to turn them up into a bobbin then mod an old bracket to make a roller  :?:
Would need a Lathe to turn the bobbin, but it would be easer to cut a slot in the bottom of the block and drill out two screw holes in the metal holder and screw the block to the holder!!

ramseybella

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"

Heck if you didn't live overseas I would ask you to send me your old one and I can have a go at it, any body in the states have an old chain block to send? :roll:

JetdocX

You don't need to pick up both screw holes.  The end one will suffice.  I made one out of Teflon with a hack saw and a drill while waiting to get a replacement.  It went about 10,000 miles before I got around to replacing it with the original part (which I lost at the track after a couple hundred miles). :evil:
From parts unknown.

ramseybella

Quote from: "JetdocX"You don't need to pick up both screw holes.  The end one will suffice.  I made one out of Teflon with a hack saw and a drill while waiting to get a replacement.  It went about 10,000 miles before I got around to replacing it with the original part (which I lost at the track after a couple hundred miles). :evil:
Looks like building your own works? I will have to try this 10,000 mile sounds damn good.
By the way what do these cost from Triumph and who sells more triumph steamer parts on line?

Mustang

Quote from: "ramseybella"Looks like building your own works? I will have to try this 10,000 mile sounds damn good.
By the way what do these cost from Triumph and who sells more triumph steamer parts on line?
less than 20 bucks and steamer OEM parts are here for about the same price as at the dealer
http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts/oem-parts
plan on two weeks for delivery

BR

QuoteShow us a photo of this rig and how you fixed it to the frame!!

Ok fellas, here's what I did... like I said before jokingly, sort of a solution to a non-problem.  Just something I felt like doing on my '98 BRG. I used a 1.5" wide block of Hi-Density Polyethylene because that's all the local TAP Plastics shop had.  No nylon in the junk box.  However, my buddy in the plastics biz high recommended UHMW PE which is Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene.  Low Coefficient of friction etc.. commonly used for industrial chain rubbing blocks.

Lousy picture.. the flash washes out the detail on the white plastic block but you get the idea.

Bottom view...as you can see, I used the existing bracket for the OEM chain block.

Here's a rough outline of the rubbing block... in the end, chopped off a the left side at the blue dashed line.  I was impatient and it was taking too #%@#$ long to make it fit....LOL.  The circular cut-out on the bottom side lets it sit nicely on the round lateral frame tube.  Visible in the bottom view pic is the notch I cut out for the existing frame bracket.  This lets the block sit snugly against the vertical part of the frame and puts the chain right in the middle of the 1.5" wide block.

I've put maybe 250 miles on this setup and the chain has settled in to its new block good enough.

Brendan

ramseybella

Quote from: "BR"
QuoteShow us a photo of this rig and how you fixed it to the frame!!

Ok fellas, here's what I did... like I said before jokingly, sort of a solution to a non-problem.  Just something I felt like doing on my '98 BRG. I used a 1.5" wide block of Hi-Density Polyethylene because that's all the local TAP Plastics shop had.  No nylon in the junk box.  However, my buddy in the plastics biz high recommended UHMW PE which is Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene.  Low Coefficient of friction etc.. commonly used for industrial chain rubbing blocks.

Lousy picture.. the flash washes out the detail on the white plastic block but you get the idea.

Bottom view...as you can see, I used the existing bracket for the OEM chain block.

Here's a rough outline of the rubbing block... in the end, chopped off a the left side at the blue dashed line.  I was impatient and it was taking too #%@#$ long to make it fit....LOL.  The circular cut-out on the bottom side lets it sit nicely on the round lateral frame tube.  Visible in the bottom view pic is the notch I cut out for the existing frame bracket.  This lets the block sit snugly against the vertical part of the frame and puts the chain right in the middle of the 1.5" wide block.

I've put maybe 250 miles on this setup and the chain has settled in to its new block good enough.

Brendan

Great setup thank's!!

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup brilliant, adventure biking starts in the garage, this is what I love about these things, always somebody up for a go at it.

Sorry you're not having my old bracket, I want to have a go at it myself  :lol:

Stretch

One of you cats ought to start selling these things.  Seriously.

Mustang

Quote from: "Stretch"One of you cats ought to start selling these things.  Seriously.
seriously for what they cost , $17 .............I have only had 2 on Tigger 2 since new with 65k . It's not a part that really needs reinventing , Triumph actually got something right .

excessive wear and or pulling them off the frame is from chains that are adjusted way too tight !