News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Good, The Bad and The Seriously Ugly

Started by Sin_Tiger, October 18, 2009, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Finally got the swinga arm back from the anodiser and the missing bits and mis ordered bits arrived, thank you Jack Lilley for taking back the Exhaust Valves for full credit  :oops: what a muppet, no idea what I was thinking.

Now all I need is the mechanic to find time to put it all back together, itching to get in there and do it myself but sadly not allowed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

aeronca

WOW, that looks really good.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Sin_Tiger

Time for a serious update.

She's back and been out a few times, until the rear caliper incident, now I have most of the bits she's back in for round two.

But before I get to that, the better stuff.

The guy who has made it all possible, old school straight talker who has to put up with nitwits day in day out, I take my helmet off to you Ken.

Ready to go and I can hardly contain myself.

But first we need some juice, no this was not doctored nor did I push her in :shock:

Ear to Ear  :D

More of the same thank you.

:Sigh: I wish I could just keep going and forget about Monday.

Might as well enjoy it while I can. Sorry officer I really got mixed up between Mph & Kph what with my speedo being dual scale and not having my reading glasses on  :wink:

A Happy Bunny just the same.

Since those pics:-
New cans supplied by Mark from the US.
Ditched the racks that I was never really happy with.
Remodeled and powder coated the custom rear rack.
Sculpted the seat foam and recovered it, very comfy on the short runs so far.
Spare sump guard frame repainted back to original Caspian.
Tank leak that we thought was OK started leaking agian, Ken sorted it by screwing in a seated taper plug, he wasn't very happy about using epoxy with the nylon.

Still to do now I have most of the bits:-
Original indicators now I have a complete set and the proper connectors, thanks guys.
Fit pattern original bars with 25mm lifters to bring it to original, the Super Tennere bars I tried were a bit too high and way too wide, the Tennere must be a pig to steer if it needs bars that wide!
Starter motor to overhaul, bit sluggish so a once over and new brshes called for and on hand.
Bolt the back caliper back on  :roll:  now that I have the proper bits, fortunately I didn't seem to have suffered any damage.
Fit a low milage clock set (reset to actual mileage) so I can read them in the dark, black backing has all but gone from being left out uncovered in the sun.
Replace the leaky petcock with an original.

I did a dyno run before I ditched to old Metzlers to fit the Anakee's. Amazingly close to factory considering she has done 88,100 miles with only what amounted to a top end job, could have gone to 100k but might as well do the job rather than do it again in a year or so.

That's without final tweaking of the carbs and with the old drilled out  :roll: cans. Can't complain and she certainly responds well, just a tiny hesitation off the throttle, the trigger might be gettign tired, got a spare just in case.

Can hardly wait for her to be ready again.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Nice end result mate.  :)
One question, were you able to get the original decal that sits above the headlights? Thought they were unavailable now?

Sin_Tiger

I got it made at a local sticker shop, he probably still has it on file if you want one. It's very close to original as you can see.

JetdocX

Dude!  Get back on the right side of the road!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Dude!  Get back on the right side of the road!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:ImaPoser  how's it going with the Beaker Doc, you've been missed  8)

Big Mick

97 Steamer, Caspian Blue.
Girly wheels, Venom Exhausts, Corbin Seat,
Powerbronze Touring Screen, Triumph span adjustable levers.

rybes

how happy is this lil bunny  :wink:  thas lookin right nice mate. that grin you carry id well desreved  :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

No really  :shock: the old girl has been cracking up.

In for a service before my Phuket trip we noticed that the rear subframe had cracked 3 / 4 sides of the square tube on both sides and the rack was now resting on the top of the cans. Cracked just in front of the seat lock cross brace. Weak point as Mustang has pointed out, with the later models getting longer gussets below that area. Sadly I lost the pics when I lost my TAB.

Bugger I thinks, I'm going to have to take the Striple on the trip and I've given the soft bags and frames away to my mate. Anyway off the subframe comes and away to the welder. Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, better have a look at the carbs / fuel tap (new) which gave me intermittent starvation. Then the bl@@dy new K&N fuel filter cracks in two as it's being removed  :? , bugger. Small thing, I have other inline filters.

Subframe back from the welder sooner than expected and a sterling job he has made of it too. Not only welded the cracks beautifully but put the extended gussets in almost like a bought one and put a strip either side of each tube just for good measure and even painted it good enough not to be embarrassing. We're on again with still a week to go before the trip  :D

You're having me on, the rear disc is cracked, blimey you're not, cracked in two spots on closer inspection  :evil:  it's Striple and back pack I'm sure now  :(

I might as well get a new disc ordered for when I get back. Trev at Sprint Manufacturing to the rescue, can you believe it landed on my desk about 5.5 days after the order, well done that man  8)

Off to the workshop over Mon lunch time and give my long suffering mechanic the injured puppy look.  :roll:  Ang Moh! trouble you one! God bless him, SMS Wed afternoon, bike ready! Not much time for a shake down before Thurs 05:00 departure but we're off.

rybes

any chance of some pics on the gussetes ya had fitted ? im curious as to where there fitted

Sin_Tiger

I'll do that at the weekend now I've got her back after last weekends rear tube failure.

aeronca

wow, rough break with the rear disc - but MAN she's lookin good!!! 8) after seeing your's I probably will put my low fender back on.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

rybes

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "aeronca"wow, rough break with the rear disc - but MAN she's lookin good!!! 8) after seeing your's I probably will put my low fender back on.

I'm saving the brackets you sent me for the project version  :wink:

I forgot to add that the plastic under tray also split in two  :roll:   and in one week, two punctured rear tubes, one on the way to the office this morning (both new before you say it) have not helped my mood, or my Boss's  :oops: