News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

steamer or Girly

Started by mantramoto, October 31, 2009, 05:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantramoto

To get a fair response I will post this on the Girly section as well.

I am looking to trade my DR650 in for a Tiger but I am trying to decide between a Steamer or a Girly. I do a bit of off road - maybe 30 percent and some commutes of 100 miles round trip. I love the looks of the Steamers but I am looking for off reliability, off roadability and comfort. The DR has too much vibe on the freeway for me and a little too light.

Any thoughts?

akendall1966

If you have no strong desire either way % game would suggest you have a better chance of finding a low miles un-abused Grilie.

Pros and Cons of both well known and well documented on this forum.
----AK-----

nightrunner

Yeah, sounds like a Girly is the best choice.  Do not get an early Girly; get the 955i.

Do note that these are heavy and top-heavy bikes compared to the DR.  You might consider something more midway between and DR and Tiger.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Nick Calne

Both are good, but Girlies are newer and not as rare as steamers which makes more sense in sourcing parts etc...

Agree with the above posts, get a Girly with a 955 engine as they are brilliant engines and have fuel injection.

That said I love my steamer.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

abruzzi

Steamers are cooler, and there is well maintained and farkled one for sale up in Oregon in our for sale section. :)

Steamers can be acquired cheaper, but will possibly cost a little more to keep (if you are like Jetdoc).  Girlies are pretty refined and reliable, but will cost a little more to acquire.

Geof

mantramoto

how about the issue of the Girlies running while tipped over (after an offroad spill) that can ruin the engine pre 2004? Is that an issue with the Steamers? I agree they are way cooler.

mantramoto

Quote from: "akendall1966"If you have no strong desire either way % game would suggest you have a better chance of finding a low miles un-abused Grilie.

Pros and Cons of both well known and well documented on this forum.

Is there a particular thread that outlines the pros/cons of each??

akendall1966

For steamers I think this is the comprehensive thread http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4997 for issues.

Steamer Pros....
Looks
longer travel forks / softer springs favor off -road use
less elec-trickery to go wrong
strong chassis (spine frame)

Steamer Cons
Age will have taken its toll on even the best bikes
Accessories are like hens teeth new
stock suspension needs work for road use for anyone big enough to get on one.
Top heavy
Sprag / DAR / Coils / CS Senor - common failure points

Specifications
Top speed    119mph
1/4-mile acceleration    15.2 secs
Power    84bhp
Torque    61ftlb
Weight    209kg
Seat height    850mm
Fuel capacity    24 litres
Average fuel consumption    44mpg
Tank range    230 miles
Insurance group    13
Engine size    885cc
Engine specification    12v in-line triple , 6 gears
Frame    Tubular steel cradle
Front suspension adjustment    Preload
Rear suspension adjustment    Preload
Front brakes    Twin 276mm discs
Rear brake    255mm disc
Front tyre size    110/80 x 19
Rear tyre size    140/80 x 17

Not being a Girly owner or having ridden one I don't spend much time in those threads so harder to pin one down. but they seem to have their fair share of problems but perhaps not the 3~4 common issue that come up on the T400 motor.

Specifications
Top speed    133mph
1/4-mile acceleration    11.5 secs
Power    104bhp
Torque    67ftlb
Weight    215kg
Seat height    875mm
Fuel capacity    22 litres
Average fuel consumption    44mpg
Tank range    178 miles
Insurance group    13
Engine size    955cc
Engine specification    12v transverse triple, 5 gears
Frame    Tubular steel cradle
Front suspension adjustment    None
Rear suspension adjustment    Preload, rebound
Front brakes    2 x 310mm discs
Rear brake    285mm disc
Front tyre size    110/80 x 19
Rear tyre size    150/70 x 17

I have a T595 and love that injection motor which made it into the 955 versions so that would be a pro beyond that I a not really able to comment.

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-chat/57 ... -dirt.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-chat/69 ... mance.html
----AK-----

JetdocX

My steamer does better than 119 mph.   :wink:

I've ridden both bikes and the steamer just feels better to me.  Seems a bit more dirt-oriented, but on a bike this heavy, that's just a joke.

Sounds like a turbo diesel truck. :shock:

And my steamer runs fine now that I quit doing PM on it. :lol:

I find the ergos on both bike to be quite different.  Ride both if you can before making a decision.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"My steamer does better than 119 mph.   :wink:

I've seen a buck thirty five indicated on the speedo on the 95 steamer ...and she get's there in a hurry too ! :shock:  8)

cascadetiger

Steamers are way cooler, they just look right.  

15.2 quarter mile?  Was this time towing a trailer?  I raced an 07 Shelby Mustang, it was a dead heat to 80.

Steamer95

I think what my 95 lacks in performance compared to the newer bikes it makes up for in Character.  After 71K it still gets me going! :D

JetdocX

My Steamer is my "stripper bike".  If you've ever dated a stripper or a girl who went on to become one, you know what I mean.
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Hmmmm? Trying to figure that one out but it must be a good thing!

I'm all about character - that's just hard to get and the steamer seems to have a ton and I haven't even ridden one yet! That is certainly next on the list. I appreciate all the feedback - it's great.

Quote from: "JetdocX"My Steamer is my "stripper bike".  If you've ever dated a stripper or a girl who went on to become one, you know what I mean.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"My Steamer is my "stripper bike".  If you've ever dated a stripper or a girl who went on to become one, you know what I mean.

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser an unusual definition of "character" but effective none the less.

I have a 1050, great bike, never ridden a Girly, and also have a Varadero, won't mean much to you US guys - Hondas version of a GS, if the GS is Battlestar Galactica then the Vara is a Klingon Bird of Prey only uglier, OK I give up I'm just not as good at analogies as JetdocX.

I only bought my steamer recently and it amazed me, how did I not know about this before now, an absolute hoot. Then I made the fatal error of trying to fix a few things, OK JD don't rub in the no maintenance theory  :P .

I found out just how much it had been previously malnourished and abused, it's in bits waiting for me to collate all the parts to put it back together properly. There isn't a day passes that I don't think, "I wonder if I called my mechanic now if he could just put it back together the way it was before the weekend" if that defines character then the Steamer has it in spades.  :D
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint