News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

6th gear rattle

Started by mantramoto, November 18, 2009, 07:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantramoto

Just bought a 95 Steamer with 35K miles. Love the bike so far but I do have a slight concern.

It seems that all the necessary stuff has been taken care of - new DAR bolt, valves adjusted, carbs adjusted, fires right up every time, etc. Seems very clean and steady - pulls at the elbows through the gears but....in 6th gear at about 5000RPM at between 60 and 70 mph there is a noticeable rattle that can be felt in the pegs. The chain is very loose so we thought it may be some chain slap at speed but I am not certain.  The rub plates are VERY worn as well.  Is there anything to be truly concerned with here? Even if it stops running I will enjoy just looking at it for a while. Any advice would be great - Thanks!

Mustang

Quote from: "mantramoto"but....in 6th gear at about 5000RPM at between 60 and 70 mph there is a noticeable rattle that can be felt in the pegs. The chain is very loose so we thought it may be some chain slap at speed but I am not certain.  The rub plates are VERY worn as well. Is there anything to be truly concerned with here?

get the rub block for the lower run and the rub strip for the top run changed out with new SOON VERY SOON or you will chew thru the aluminum swingarm in no time . more than likely the rattle you hear and feel is the chain rubbing on the swingarm metal already !
about 50 bucks total for both parts . heres a link how to change them out that is somewhat easier than the triumph manual tells you to remove swingarm to change them  :shock:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5260

mantramoto

Thanks Mustang - I will check it out. Also - what tires do you suggest for 50%dirt 50% street? On my DR650 I use D606's - OK for the Tiger?

Mustang

tkc continentals are very popular for the tigers , karoos are about the same , don't know if the dunlops come in sizes to fit the big pig

I have a steamer that has Kenda trackmasters on it  very aggressive knobbies that howl like mad on the pavement , had to use a 110 x19 rear for the front tire though (what fits on a moto x bike rear)
I run those in the winter on my sidecar rig they work great in the snow .

keep in mind that the big pigs absolutely do not like loose sand or mud , once the front end starts to wash there is no saving it ,you are going down !

mantramoto

Mustang, I am also noticing oil from somewhere around the front sprocket leaking slightly down onto the chain and occasionaly a drop on the exhaust. Could this be related to the vibe I am feeling? Dove the bike home tonight on the freeway and can confirm that the strong rattle/vibe seems to occur only in 5th and 6th between 65 and 75 mph. Over 80 the machine sings wonderfully with no vibe - or is it at such a high frequency I don't feel it?? Have not done the rub plate yet as I just got the bike today.

Mustang

the usual culprits for oil leak around the front sprocket area are clutch pushrod seal (you need to take the sprocket cover off to see/access it )
and the seal on the shifter shaft , the seals are cheap 20 bucks for both but they require the foot pegbracket to be dropped and the sprocket cover removed . Sometimes an oil leak in this area IS NOT REALLY A LEAK AT ALL
if you have been overlubing the chain the fling off accumulates in the cover and drips out onto the exhaust pipe .

but if you need to replace the seals here's a link to change the chain and sprockets which details the procedure for getting the sprocket cover off .
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5024

mantramoto

Thanks Mustang. I have ordered the rub plate etc which will take few weeks. In the mean time I have been looking around for more info about this rough rattle type feeling as mentioned above and came across a comment you made to another steamer owner about coils. You said that if the bike runs smooth over 5000 rpm it is a sign the coils need to be replaced. I notice increased smoothness in every gear over 5000 rpm 1st to 3rd are fairly smooth all the way through. It is not till I get into 4th 5th 6th that I seem to get that heavy vibration rough type feeling in the pegs under 5000 rpm - over 5000 it is like butter. The guy I bought the bike from said he replaced 2 of the coils 4000 miles ago. What ya think?

mantramoto

Here is my new bike![/img]

aeronca

wow, looks pretty god 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

the coils won't cause a rough running condition so to speak . the bike will feel like it is low on power and then at about 4500 rpm the power suddenly comes on hard and strong . that is when the third cyl. that wasn't firing comes back alive . doesn't really cause vibrations though that you can feel in the pegs .
I would hold off on the coil diagnosis until you have replaced the chain strip and rub block . you might be surprised to find it's gone with a new strip and rub block .
also keep in mind that steamers like to have a chain that has at least an 1 1/2 inch of slop sitting on the side stand with bike 'unloaded' anything tighter than this usually makes vibes you can feel in the foot pegs.

also check your chain........if there are tight and loose spots due to chain 'stretch' they will cause the vibes you are feeling also , if your chain is like this it's time for a new one .

mantramoto

OK, will do. Is the 1.5 inch slop 0.75" up and 0.75" down?

Mustang

yep 1 1/2 inch total  :D check it with gearbox in  neutral

John Stenhouse

At the tightest spot!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

mantramoto

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"At the tightest spot!

John, what do you mean at the tightest spot? Wouldn't I check around the middle of the swing arm thus the loosest spot?

JetdocX

Your chain wears unevenly.  Spin the wheel and check the cahin at various spots in the entire length to find the tightes spot on your "stripper" bike and adjust the tension.
From parts unknown.