News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork oil level

Started by sanjoh, November 20, 2009, 04:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjoh

Been a while since I've been here.  Tiger must be running good :lol:

With the fork compressed, spring removed, the oil should be ~ 225mm from the top of the fork tube.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

ChazzyB

Quote from: "sanjoh"With the fork compressed, spring removed, the oil should be ~ 225mm from the top of the fork tube.

:shock: Is that a statement or a question? Mr Haynes quotes an air gap of 107mm, which is how I filled my forks yesterday... A bit of a difference - who's right?
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

flux

It depends on your VIN.  I believe both statements are accurate.  My 02 needed 107mm.  I just installed Ricor Intiminators... I'll be posting a writeup shortly.

ChazzyB

Quote from: "flux"It depends on your VIN.  I believe both statements are accurate.  My 02 needed 107mm.  I just installed Ricor Intiminators... I'll be posting a writeup shortly.

If it's an '01, Haynes is still suggesting (from memory) ~120mm air gap. Mine's an '03, hence the 107mm.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Chris Canning

Has anyone actually seen a quantity ever mentioned??

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Has anyone actually seen a quantity ever mentioned??

Its in the Haynes manual Ive just bought Chris, and if it can be trusted it says  99-2001 models 682cc   2002-  720cc

and air gaps of 119mm for the early 107mm for the late.

It doesnt mention any other change for the 2004 ally wheel bikes which I would have expected, maybe not.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Cheers Tim

Were it gets complicated,in 2001 there was both 885i's and the first of the 955i's forsale,i guess one has to assume,that they mean 2002 is 955.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Cheers Tim

Were it gets complicated,in 2001 there was both 885i's and the first of the 955i's forsale,i guess one has to assume,that they mean 2002 is 955.

Thats what im thinking Chris, funnily enough if you go onto the Triumph OEM website(Bike Bandit) for part no's the 900 is only listed to 2000?
But it is US, maybe they changed earlier there.
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"Cheers Tim

Thats what im thinking Chris, funnily enough if you go onto the Triumph OEM website(Bike Bandit) for part no's the 900 is only listed to 2000?
But it is US, maybe they changed earlier there.
nope mid year  here too , you need to use your VIN for ordering parts a lot of times .....
and even on the steamers which all look basically the same there were numerous changes to components throughout the model years that you have to order replacements based on VIN

Chris Canning

Thats interesting because a lot of the time parts have a different number and still fit,the can for the 885 fits a 955,and while the body work is marginally different,they still fit,and the reason i know,the body work on my 955 is off an 885,the original is in the loft!!!

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Thats interesting because a lot of the time parts have a different number and still fit,the can for the 885 fits a 955,and while the body work is marginally different,they still fit,and the reason i know,the body work on my 955 is off an 885,the original is in the loft!!!

You've gotta let me up in your loft one day Chris, I reckon there's a couple of bikes up there.

I used to like Mr Honda's part no system, you could actually tell which model of bike the part originated on by part of the number.
2016 Tiger Sport

mortaygo

I have a 2005 vin number SMTTG720WT5209***.

I can not find a clear answer to determine how much oil to put in the forks...

the other thing I am unclear on is why is fork oil measured by height and not mls or cc's.... wouldn't it be more accurate to put the same about of oil into a set of forks, as apposed to measuring the oil height and possibly putting less oil in one fork than the other.....

:shock: Joe

Mustang

Joe
ya might want to go back and edit your post ................you don't really want your VIN # out there for the world to see do ya like maybe blank out the last 3 or 4 numbers with x's

and as far as the height vs volume thing the first time you do it , do it by height .
The measurement is taken from the top of the fork tube to the level of the oil when the lower's are fully compressed without the springs in em

measure how much you put in to obtain that level and write it down somewhere , next time you change the fork oil just drain and refill . done

as far as to what level don't know you'll need someone with an 05 to speak up or get a manual

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang"Joe
ya might want to go back and edit your post ................you don't really want your VIN # out there for the world to see do ya like maybe blank out the last 3 or 4 numbers with x's

Never quite sure why this (or showing registration number) should be a problem. Anybody casually walking past the bike when it's parked can do this. And indeed once you know the structure of the VIN you can just make one up.

Can anyone show a documented issue where someone has "stolen" a registration or VIN off the Internet?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"Never quite sure why this (or showing registration number) should be a problem. Anybody casually walking past the bike when it's parked can do this. And indeed once you know the structure of the VIN you can just make one up.

Can anyone show a documented issue where someone has "stolen" a registration or VIN off the Internet?
can't show any documeted proof but here is some "food for thought"
Your bike in it's normal everyday environment is a lot less exposed to the seedier type of person  than say "the entire world " known as " The Internet"

just sayin.....................