News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Centerstand Woes

Started by Medic09, November 25, 2009, 03:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic09

I've read other threads on the centerstands, but I want to see if there is any new insight.

I put my '02 Girly up on the centerstand to change chain and sprockets.  The rear wheel doesn't clear the ground on the level floor of my garage.  So I put it up a bit on a jack.  That's problem #1.

I had a little trouble getting the bike on the stand, but I attribute that to my small size and weight - 5'7" and under 150 lbs/68 kg with short arms and legs.

Got the work done, and then could not get the bike down off the stand.  It took my wife and I to safely get it down on the side stand.  That's problem #2.

The centerstand is the Triumph original.

Any insights appreciated.  I'd hate to have a flat somewhere, and not be able to use the centerstand.

Thanks!
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

JetdocX

use the passenger peg to help you.  Lift there while stepping down on the lever.
From parts unknown.

Bixxer Bob

The rear wheel should clear the floor,  sounds like it's distorted -a well known problem, although i haven't had it  (so far...)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

The Triumph OEM centerstand is a POS.

The gauge metal is much too thin and it fatigues easily.

This winter I have to try and put a fix on mine ( '06 ) by strengthening
the legs and the plate that supports them.

I believe one of the main causes for all this is the leveraged weight
of top box & saddle bags.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mustang

I thought you were looking to trade in your tigger for a  *gasp* goldwing :shock:

Can't do it can ya :?:

zombie

My centerstand is shagged too and leans to the left kinda like me  :lol:

Medic09

So far it sounds like the best option may be get a new stand?

Of course, I'll remain with the final problem of getting it back down; but at least I'll be able to work on my ride.   :roll:

Anybody else?
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

NebraskaRat

I reworked my oem centerstand this fall.  I took the side mount plates off and straightened in a vise with a hammer.  Drilled out one of the stripped out pivot bolts to 1/2" and welded a 1/2" shoulder bolt in place for a solid pivot point.  And last, I hacksawed and hammered a couple of 1/8" thick steel "shoes" and had them welded to the pads on the bottom of the feet. Now I have 1/2" clearance between tire and floor when on center stand.  Works like new.

NE-Rat

2004Tiger

I noticed that when on the OEM centerstand, my 2004 was not upright, and had increased difficulty putting it up. After a while the right side centerstand pivot failed, dumping my bike in the driveway. Upon inspection I saw the failed pivot had gradually loosened, the threads were destroyed. I should have investigated as soon as I saw the tilt to avoid disaster, but I didn't know what the configuration was down there or what held it together. Recalling that 2 years ago I found both footpeg brackets loose and requiring several turns on each bolt, a common 955i problem, I guess the centerstand pivot problem started at that time. Now I know that the peg bracket bolts also hold the centerstand support, and if they are loose the pivot tends to disengage from the hole in the support. As often stated, a poor design.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

blacktiger

On mine the ground clearance problem came about due to wear in the pivots but also because one of the pivot bolts had stripped its thread. So I drilled out the threaded hole and put a 10mm bolt through the stand and the back plate, with a nyloc nut on the back and tightened it just enough to take out all the play. I now have the ground clearance back.
IMO even when new the stand goes over centre too much which lets the bike sink too low.The stops could do with building up somehow to stop the stand earlier in its travel.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Colonel Nikolai

When I hear about the oem centerstand woes ion the tiger I just don't get it. I have a 96 triumph sprint and the centerstand is built like a brick shithouse. I've never heard of the DAR or sprague clutch problem in the non-steamer triumph world. Did triumph just put cheaper parts in the steamer or what?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

akendall1966

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"When I hear about the oem centerstand woes ion the tiger I just don't get it. I have a 96 triumph sprint and the centerstand is built like a brick shithouse. I've never heard of the DAR or sprague clutch problem in the non-steamer triumph world. Did triumph just put cheaper parts in the steamer or what?

I would have to beg to differ my old 95 sprint got 'the DAR' just before I traded it in for the T595. Sorry to say I don't think the early hinkley triumphs roadsters caught the imagination apart from the tiger and the street triple perhaps to the extent to have following like we have here.
----AK-----

Colonel Nikolai

Good to know that this is a problem there, too. How many miles on it before you traded it in?[/quote][/i]
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

akendall1966

wow that is back in 98 - I think it was 30~35K on near 4 year old bike.
----AK-----

PeteH

I bought a stand in the Triumph sale for my 99, back wheels a good 2" off the ground when its on it, second time I lifted it the bike somehow fell over when part way up but the engine bars did their job.

Quote from: "JetdocX"use the passenger peg to help you.  Lift there while stepping down on the lever.
I use the hanger, I guess thats what you mean, and also rock the bike back and too rather just haul it up.
I`ve also noticed that the right hand side seems out of true to the bracket, and so some distortion has occured. Should have fitted some spacers when fitting it to take up the slack between the brackets and the stand.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour