News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

After tank removal fuel gauge lights stop working

Started by adrian jones, December 07, 2009, 02:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrian jones

Removed the fuel tank to fix a radiator hose leak and after re-installing the tank, the fuel gauge does not register fuel level and the low fuel light is on.

I have double checked the sending unit plug is connected.  It is.

And I know it has fuel.  (about 5 gallons) cause i lifted the tank on and off with the fuel in it.

Any ideas????
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

Bixxer Bob

If it worked before you took it off, and now it doesn't - assuming youv'e not been behind the instrument binnacle - it's almost certain the plug /socket.  did you by any chance give it a tug as you took it apart?

If yours is anything like mine (the first time I took it apart) it'll be pretty dirty and greasy.  I cleaned up both halves with Wurth brake cleaner (best solvent I've come across in a long time) and checked continuity with a multimeter.  Not had any probs since.

Hope that helps....

Edit..... just read it again, you said fuel light is on so not the plug / socket.  The sender unit has a habit of sticking on these girls.  On mine, it happens sometimes after filling up.  It rights itself in a few hundred yards...  I'll get round to fixing it one day when life's too good and I need the hassle.  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

adrian jones

Thanks Bob,

Thought it might be a "quirk"  I know similar happens to me sometimes when I remove the battery, engine light comes on.....stays on for 3 running "cycles" then goes off......ghosts in the machine.....I guess.

Cheers
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

Bixxer Bob

Different issue....

Turning on the ign with any sensor disconnected throws up a fault code and puts the light on.  Also happens if you brush the battery terminal with the cable before making a sound connection.  ECM sometimes sees that as low voltage and again puts the light on.  

If there are no further re-occurences of that fault after three clear warm up / cool down cycles the warning is cancelled and the light goes out.  Damn clever stuff this electrickery....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...