News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Winter Sprag?

Started by RiderX, December 09, 2009, 05:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiderX

So I seem to be having this winter-caused sprag issue. My bike ('98 ) wouldn't start last winter because the valves were out of adjustment. After I set them it ran alright, but when it got really cold (sub-freezing) occasionally I would get the dreaded sprag slip and bang. Once the weather warmed up it never had trouble starting and ran fine the rest of the year. Now that winter is here and the temps are back below freezing the sprag is slipping again. It happens even when keeping it on the trickle charger every night, but will eventually start after 3-5 tries. It gets super cold in my garage here in Idaho.

I am wondering if this is just caused by the stupid spring that holds the teeth out on the sprag getting old and if keeping it warmer will let it last a while longer or if it is just going to let go all at once and not start at all anymore. Has anyone else out there had the sprag issue that only happens in really cold weather but otherwise works ok? I mean I rode a LOT this year. Not all that many miles, but almost daily as my commuter and shorter trips.

Mustang

how old is the battery ?

and yes it's going to just give it up one day ands thats the last time it will ever start with the button on the handlebar  :(

RiderX

The battery is from last winter. Thanks Mustang. I've been reading up on the repair process here and I am not thrilled at the prospect to say the least.

Mudhen

If you do it, make sure you check the mesh screen in the sump...glad I listened to the manual for once and checked Z's...

Not sure what all that stuff is...some of it may be bits of the broken alternator bolt... :roll:
\'96 Steamer

aeronca

hey,  if you see my car key's in there, grab them for me :lol:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mudhen

Quote from: "aeronca"hey,  if you see my car key's in there, grab them for me :lol:

OMG, those were yours?

:wink:

I know others have said it before...but even at 30,000 miles (and all this junk in the strainer!) the inside of this motor looks new.  I plastiguaged the bearings and got a reading of .05mm - .06mm...new they're supposedly around .04mm.

This thing will live long enough to go through 3 more sprags... :shock:

(if I can get it back together right...)
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"Not sure what all that stuff is...some of it may be bits of the broken alternator bolt... :roll:

it is common to find on bikes that share the gearbox oil with the engine oil . some of it is surely clutch plate debris .

RiderX

So I got the sprag replaced, engine put back together and put back in the bike. Now I just need to put all the 'extra' bits back together like the carbs, radiator, hoses, wires, etc.

I seem to remember a thread on here somewhere where someone had taken the sparg apart to see if he could replace the spring himself. He did it with wire which then also failed (urg). I was telling my buddy about it and now can't find the thread. Anyone know?

Mustang

It was Doc Mordo but not sure what thread . But it was one of his earlier threads right after he joined

Dr. Mordo

Here I am!

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3988&highlight=sprag

Yep, that was actually kind of fun.  

Incidentally, my Tiger is still inop because I had to blow $2000ish putting a turbo in my Volvo.  So, maybe next month I'll buy the cam tensioner and get 'er up and running. Also, it has also been unbelievably cold, rainy, and miserable here in sunny Florida, so riding has been low on my list of things to do.  I can handle the cold, but rain sucks.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

RiderX

Thanks Doc! This saves me the trouble of disassembling mine just to satisfy my riding buddies curiosity. It makes a nice expensive paperweight/conversation piece just how it is  :D

Colonel Nikolai

Doc Mordo,

Impressive research on that sprag repair. I owe you.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Dr. Mordo

Well, I'm glad it was useful to y'all.

If somebody has a early bike with removable sprag cover, they could take it to the next level by testing my theory and letting us know how it works!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mudhen

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Well, I'm glad it was useful to y'all.

If somebody has a early bike with removable sprag cover, they could take it to the next level by testing my theory and letting us know how it works!

You didn't happen to look at the top of the motor and consider adding a cover, did you??  My buddies engine is still sitting in my garage and I've got an itchy dremel finger...  :wink:
\'96 Steamer

Dr. Mordo

No, I didn't think about it.  I think it would be tough.  You'd have to cut out a pretty huge area, which I'd imagine would weaken the case a bunch.  I bet they reinforced around the cover on those bikes.

It's a pretty funny image though.  Someone out there with a dremel trying to cut out a giant section of 1/4" steel from an engine block.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger