News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

coolant leaks

Started by Tony.the.tiger, August 01, 2004, 11:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony.the.tiger

Hellooooooo!

Newbie after a little info.

I'm picking my 2001 955i up next weak, i'd taken it for a test ride before i bought it  "as you do" i stopped at the side of the road turned the engine off when all of a sudden it started to piss coolant out from the overflow wtf? the fan kicked in and the temperature was fine, no oil in the water and vice versa, anyone had the same trouble? they said they will have it sorted out by tues (i'm taking it for another test ride to confirm this)i'm also getting a 3mth p+l warranty from the dealer.

Any ideas?

P.s it's a bloody pink one too :oops:

Gene

I recently got my 04 and had a small coolant leak at the overflow bottle.  the tech at the dealer said there was a t.s.b. for my problem.  I tore the front off and found one of the plastic elbows for the overflow had been broken and the two rubber hoses were put on backwords.  the coolant would boil out of the radiator and then not be sucked back into the engine when it cooled off.  

hope that helped.  Gene
Folks,  Don\'t try this at home?

echoyankee

I'm guessing, based on what you describe here, that the coolant was not geysering out of the expansion tank next to the instrument cluster, but instead dripping down behind the engine, and in front of the rear wheel?

This can happen if you add coolant to the expansion tank (when the motorcycle is cold) to a point just a hair short of the "MAX" line on the reservoir, then proceed to ride very hard, very fast for something like 45 minutes and then pull over and shut the machine off abruptly.  

Don't ask me how I know that.

In your case:

it may be that coolant was added just prior to your deprature.  

In my case:  after the initial overflow episode, I've had no coolant leak since.  Just the one major slosh out as described.

Best,

echoyankee

Tony.the.tiger

Got a call from the dealer today..... they have ordered a radiator cap apparently this is the problem.

Could this be the problem or are they pulling my leg?