News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which Aux. Lights?

Started by Medic09, December 31, 2009, 07:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic09

Who's running what?

I'm currently thinking about Trail Tech/PIAA Cross Country HID lights. I wonder if it is overkill.  I would like to help my aging eyes see further down the road, but I ride mostly on roads.  I don't need to blind everyone, eh?

Ultimately, I want a driving light with good throw down the road.  I don't think the headlight is sufficient at speed in the dark in the middle of nowhere (which is everywhere around here).

Suggestions?  Warnings?
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

Mustang

watch out for the charging system ...................they don't like a lot of xtra load .

The bike is only putting out 350 watts consistently and most of that is used up for the bikes electrical system  :shock:

REGULATOR

I can definitly tell you that a set of 100W KC daylighters is too much :-)

BUT I did find a set of round HELLA car style driving lights  ( from gasp, walmart)that were not too expensive and work well,  I mounted them upside down below the fuel tank on an L shapped bracket that attaches to the engine mounts.  I liek the looks of the big round "aircraft landing lights" hanging low, and it now looks like I have 4 headlights..  

don't think I have any pics on this laptop so will have to wait to show any...

brad1098

Im running PIAA 910's.  Great, high quality units. Praised by the long distance crowd on the ironbutt web site.  

I love em.  Lots of different bulbs availiable to get wattage where you want.  The 85's were my favorite.  Running 100's now.  

Good daytime running lights to be seen by all the cagers.  See all the deer a half mile out at night.
02 black-Lorna

RT

Would look at these

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ht=visionx

Also check this link from vendor forum offering a discount and free shipping

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ht=visionx

From what I have read, lots of lights for very low wattage draw.  Want a pair but no extra $$$ available right now.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

jonathan jaecks

I'm getting the bike ready to do another cross country trip this spring/summer and am doing a suspension rebuild and adding lights.  The last trip I did from NM to Oshkosh and back had me wanting more light on on the long highway sections.  I'm lookinng at PIAA 910's or trail tech HID's (spot on left side, flood on right).  The real issue I'm running into is mounting.  For them to really function well they need to be as high as possible/practical.  Randall at Lumalink has offered to build me something to fit the 1" tubing of my Touratech bars but cheap they ain't.  I'm like the low draw of some of the new LED's but i want to see far down the road, not just better fill with a tad better light downrange.  My 2 cents is look at what race vehicles and Iron Butt guys are using and copy that...none (or very little) of this stuff is road legal anyway.  Once I get my lighting sorted I'll make sure to post a review/pics.

Jonathan

Medic09

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"I'm getting the bike ready to do another cross country trip this spring/summer and am doing a suspension rebuild and adding lights.  The last trip I did from NM to Oshkosh and back had me wanting more light on on the long highway sections.  I'm lookinng at PIAA 910's or trail tech HID's (spot on left side, flood on right).  The real issue I'm running into is mounting...

Jonathan

Hey neighbour, I'd be curious to see what you do if you get it done before me.  I've been thinking about mounting Trail Techs on my engine guards.  Lower than I'd like, but doable.

First I need $$$ to buy the lights...
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four