News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

more coolant issues

Started by adrian jones, January 17, 2010, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrian jones

Had the coolant "seepage" problem around the radiator cap.  Replaced the radiator cap with a Advanced Auto part recommended on this and other Triumph sites.....took her for a test ride...... And got back to coolant BLOWN all over the right side of the tank and 90% of my reserve coolant tank empty.......

SO before tearing things apart........any suggestions?  
Could the old cap have not been allowing coolant to return flow to the tank, and now that it is a new leak/problem has arose?

Or did I botch something by using a non triumph cap?

Anyone else experience this?
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

macgart

mine puked all over me once.  Actually came out of the top of the reservoir!  Mine will still go from nearly empty to all the way full during (some not all) rides.  

Anyway to actually answer your question, the auto cap should be fine as long as it is ~1.1 bar.  Maybe like me, you have an air bubble lurking somewhere in your system.  I plan to do a proper purge of my cooling system soon.

QuoteThe stant 10227 (replaced by the newer 11227) is only a 13 psi cap. A good replacement might be the 11233 - it's 16 PSI, which is right at the 1.1 BAR that triumph specifies.

Same dimensions, just a different main spring.

How to purge cooling system ---->

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,39426

Hope this helps
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

adrian jones

So the issue can simply be air in the system forcing the coolant out of the expansion tank........hhhhmmmm.......quirky cats these Tigers.....but so damn fun they are worth it....

So yours just worked itself out so to speak?

Looks as though a total coolant system drain and flush maybe in my near future....

John Stenhouse

Didn't someone post that that cap isn't quite right? Somethnig about it not being quite the right height?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

adrian jones

Hadn't seen anything on that John.....would that cause blow by on the right side?

Mustang

yep , check this post out and has pics that show the difference between the Stant cap and the triumph cap
you may want to use a triumph cap ..................

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7022&highlight=radiator+cap

adrian jones

Yep....sounds like it.....

However I have seen a number of other model replacements.....is it only the stant 11233 that has the issue???? Anyone know?

I know it sounds like I am breaking cheap. However I am 2.5 hours from nearest stealer, and cost of freight and Triumph cap combined end up rather steep...and take a week or two to get...

Can return the Stant for a different model tomorrow....for a fraction the cost.

Mustang

bring your triumph cap with you and compare them dimensionally if they are the  same and the psi is the same I would think you would have a winner  !

prbarr

You could try the Stant 11227 cap as suggested in this post, but it's rated for a lower pressure than the Triumph cap.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stant+11233&start=40

It's also possible that Stant makes a replacement cap with the same dimensions and rated for the same pressure.  If you find one, please inform us.  I would also suggest slightly tightening the hose clamps on your thermostat housing while you're under the tank.  This might have been the cause of my coolant drip on my '05, rather than the radiator cap itself.

Macgart, your coolant level changing from empty to full does not sound like it's cause by an air bubble, but rather a radiator cap problem.  Either by an improperly fitting aftermarket cap, or a Triumph cap with a weakened spring.

jphish

I thought someone somewhere posted that an 88 - 91 honda civic radiator cap was an acceptable replacement for the Tiger cap? No experience personally - just on my list of "tips" from this site. j

swamper650

I experienced the same radiator cap issue last year during my Arizona rambling. Could not find the Stant cap. Used a cross reference to another brand and.the dang thing puked coolant. Close inspection revealed the differences. Did as suggested..........took my original cap to the parts store and found a cap that fit. It was only a 14# but seems to working ok. The real test will be during the Florida summer. Am trying to find info on the cap I purchased...will post it when I come across it.
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

macgart

QuoteMacgart, your coolant level changing from empty to full does not sound like it's cause by an air bubble, but rather a radiator cap problem.  Either by an improperly fitting aftermarket cap, or a Triumph cap with a weakened spring.

Thanks,  I though about that after I read the above posts.  I'll be near a Triumph shop tomorrow, I may just buy a direct replacement.  I have a Stant on there now.  My bike does not have the coolant level variation all the time, just seems to show up when I ride it hard.  An ill fitting cap is a very likely suspect.

It's just too bad that I just put my tank on a couple of days ago.   :evil:

Oh well, I'll just have to lift the front a bit and have my friend with the girl hands switch the cap out for me again.   :lol:
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

oldrider

Hi guy's, I have had trouble with my 06 Tiger's cooling system overheating and spewing fluid too!

It gives the appearance of being the Cap becoming faulty through loss of tension in the spring.

It only seems to happen in hot temperatures at low speed such as in city traffic!

Once out on the highway everything is OK.

I was told the cooling fan is programmed to cut in earlier at highway speeds than it is at lower town speeds but I can't see how even the smartest engine management system could work that out, it's too subjective! (but????)

I just think it is the fan cutting in at lower speed riding because of the lack of circulating air through and around the radiator and engine.

The only time I hear or notice the fan cutting in and out is when running while stationary, riding around town, or riding over hard climbing tight windy mountain trails.  

I reckon that the moulded part where the cap fits on is a bit light in it's dimensions and the cap does not fit tight enough.

After a period of about 10,000 miles (for my bike) the pressure valve seat begins to loose it's capability to maintain it's design pressure and allows fluid to bypass into the header tank, eventually overflowing and discharging all over the ground when you stop!

Even if the vacuum valve is working at this stage you have probably lost too much fluid and the engine will suck air if there is insufficient fluid  to meet the engines requirements.

The consequences of this can be very expensive if not taken care of immediately!

To overcome this I tapped the lugs down a bit with a small hammer and a punch. (not too much)

The cap then fits tighter and seals better and it also maintains it's design pressure of 16 psi or 1.1 bar and doesn't blow past out into the header tank as soon as the engine gets hot.

The other part of the problem seems to be glug and crap from the coolant, accumulating and fouling the vacuum valve stopping it from seating properly.

This prevents the vacuum and atmospheric pressure replenishing the excess coolant from the tank back into the engine as it cools.

We in New Zealand don't seem to be able to get the same range of replacement automotive caps as you guy's but I have found a suitable replacement on the shelves of our auto parts dealers.

If any of you are in NZ try getting a "TRIDON TRS16J" and if it feels a loose fit tap the lugs down until it feels secure and a firmer fit.

Top up your fluids and away you go!

Remember, you have to take the tank off to do this properly!

I have cleaned up my old Triumph caps and I am going to tap down the lugs on them to fit tighter, then take them in to a workshop (somewhere) and get them tested for pressure and vacuum, I will be surprised if they don't pass the test!
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "oldrider".....I was told the cooling fan is programmed to cut in earlier at highway speeds than it is at lower town speeds but I can't see how even the smartest engine management system could work that out, it's too subjective! (but????)

You're right to be suspicious.  It's a simple on/off.  Reading the setting with Tuneboy, the fan comes on at 103 deg and off at 102 deg.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

swamper650

K  Found the info on the cap I used. It is sold at Napa stores and has Napa # of 703***E471  It is a 14# cap and has served me well from over 7000ft to sea level in the last 3000miles. I find my Tiger did run hotter at the higher elevations, but never caused any concern or overhaeted.
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding