News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Strange question about the gauge panel

Started by tazshido, January 18, 2010, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

I have not taken delivery of my Tiger yet, I was looking at a parts diagram on Bike Bandit trying to figure out what the little cover on the right side of the gauge cluster was. It's the one with an odd little nubbins poking out. The diagram called it an "expansion bottle cover". Does that mean that the radiator expansion tank vents up at the fairing? I'm thinking that cannot be. So what does that cover actually cover? What's it do?
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

tett

Yup, this little bubble on the right of the tach. is the cap for the rad overflow reservoir.

Kinda weird but it looks OK.

tett

Quote from: "tazshido"I have not taken delivery of my Tiger yet, I was looking at a parts diagram on Bike Bandit trying to figure out what the little cover on the right side of the gauge cluster was. It's the one with an odd little nubbins poking out. The diagram called it an "expansion bottle cover". Does that mean that the radiator expansion tank vents up at the fairing? I'm thinking that cannot be. So what does that cover actually cover? What's it do?
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

iansoady

It isn't actually a vent it's just where you top up the system if needed. The expansion tank isn't under pressure so all the cap does is to stop dust and small rodents getting in there. The overflow is via a pipe to near the s/a spindle.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

tazshido

Well I'll be hornswoggled! That's got to be one of the wierdest things I've ever heard. Maybe it's just me, but I would have reserved real estate on the gauge panel for things that needed to be seen or manipulated while underway. Does it really need to be that high for some reason?
In case you haven't noticed I'm a "why?" guy. Inquiring minds want to know!
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

oxnsox

Tis the English way....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "oxnsox"Tis the English way....

Or the Triumph way at least..... :(
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ridin gaijin

Mine blew out on a track day once. Ricocheted off my visor followed by a spew of overheated coolant. I blessed Triumph for putting the overflow there for several minutes afterward...
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

blacktiger

Quote from: "tazshido"Well I'll be hornswoggled! That's got to be one of the wierdest things I've ever heard. Maybe it's just me, but I would have reserved real estate on the gauge panel for things that needed to be seen or manipulated while underway. Does it really need to be that high for some reason?
In case you haven't noticed I'm a "why?" guy. Inquiring minds want to know!

No, but it's got to go somewhere and, when you get round to stripping a Tiger down, you'll realise that there's not a lot of spare space anywhere.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.