News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thinking of a Girly

Started by Lostviking, January 23, 2010, 01:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BONANZA

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Interesting.  I wonder of my use of ear plugs, full face helmet, and TOR exhaust have masked it...  :lol:
I ride with ear plugs, full face helmet, and TOR exhaust and I still hear it. My friend was riding with me a while ago and he couldnt believe it as he heard it when we were pulling off a garage forecourt.
05 Tiger
95 Speed Triple

BONANZA

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Interesting.  I wonder of my use of ear plugs, full face helmet, and TOR exhaust have masked it...  :lol:
I ride with ear plugs, full face helmet, and TOR exhaust and I still hear it. My friend was riding with me a while ago and he couldnt believe it as he heard it when we were pulling off a garage forecourt.
05 Tiger
95 Speed Triple

jphish

I like to hear/feel the clunck on my 06 Tiger - that way I know the forks are doing their job. Just like the vibration at idle on my Uly - that way I know the engine is already running & wont strip the bendix drive by trying a restart.

thefireweaver

I've had a load of bikes in the last few years, I rode a sportster for ages. Then I had a zx9r ninja, incredibly uncomfortable, wrist and shoulder ache but otherwise awesome. Then a gs650 dakar, very nice and reasonably comfy but not quite enough grunt, though great on rough roads. Then a Buell X1 lightning, with a good can. Just magic though the twisty stuff and admired by kids and grandads, but just not practical. I also want one bike to do everything, and I won't spend mad money on a badge. I looked at a Tiger but its very tall, and I'm not at 5'10", so still looking. And then I found her, 02 Girly with the forks lifted and a 17" wheel on the front. Also has huge givi topbox and panniers and a blueflame can. The day I bought her I rode 125 miles home, had some dinner, then rode 45 miles to see my girlfriend for an hour then home again. I use her to go to the shops, to go to work and this summer did the John O'Groats to Lands End run off motorway. She goes like a train and is nimble as hell, I've had both a GS800 and a SV1000 all over the road on the twisties while I've been well within my comfort zone. It's still a tallish bike for me, but once on it the ride position is just so comfortable, and it goes forever on a tankfull of fuel, I get to have a ciggy while the others are filling up. She's been off the road for a month, purely because of all the salt they keep spraying on the road, I don't like it, but we've just had a load of rain and the sun is out, I think its time to play. The other half has seen me get that look in my eye that means hours on ebay or autotrader looking for my next "perfect" bike many times, but not with this one, I can't think of anything I'd trade it for. I have wondered about whether a sprint motor would be fun to install, but only to be silly, girly has plenty of punch, its just always nice to have a bit more... :lol:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "thefireweaver"... I have wondered about whether a sprint motor would be fun to install, but only to be silly, girly has plenty of punch, its just always nice to have a bit more... :lol:

You don't need the whole motor, just the cams and a new fuel map.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Yep, I heard the clunk today, not all the time, dont bother me.

lostviking, get a Tiger, really, Ive ridden GS's, even new 1200's, nah, this thing is the mutts.
2016 Tiger Sport

thefireweaver

QuoteYou don't need the whole motor, just the cams and a new fuel map.
Is that major surgery? I had wondered if it was just the fuel map. Actually I'm not sure that sprint tuning would work that well, I wondered if it was possible to keep the same kind of spread...but turn it up a bit, probably not by 38hp though :lol:

Bixxer Bob

I nearly added that point to my earlier comment.  I think 130bhp would be a bit much for the Girly suspension - she'd tie herself in knots.  Being able to break traction under power and sideslide out of corners would be interesting....  with the short wheelbase and soft rear shock I'm thinking highside city  :shock:

With a Blueflame can, baffles in and some map tweaking I have 102.5 bhp at the rear tyre.  More map tweaking would maybe give another 3-4 bhp but it would start being unpleasant to ride as power improvements are a tradeoff against power useablility.

I don't know about the cam changes, scuttlebut has it that it's a straight swap but I've not heard from anyone who's done it.  It would probably be easier to do a whole head swap but again, you'd need to do your homework first.  A morning spent at a breakers yard should do it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

thefireweaver

Thanks, that does sound interesting. 102 at the wheel sounds just about perfect. I was scouring the forum for tuning tips but must have missed them. Any idea where to go to get the mapping looked at? It'd be interesting to know what I have at the moment, its no slouch and I'm not looking for mad increases, I do want to keep it controllable and really don't want to slide sideways out of bends, it always ends in ouch, and I'm too old for that.

Bixxer Bob

I lost patience with the Triumph dealer and invested heavily in a Tuneboy so now I can do more that the dealer can.  Using that and a friendly dyno owner I have a map that works for me.

Rugby isn't that far from me (I have a 1200GS-riding friend at Dunchurch)so we could look at yours but wouldn't be able to edit anything unless you invest in a Tunedit key which would cost about £95.

thefireweaver

Wow thanks! Goes off to investigate tunedit keys...This is a cool forum, I'm glad I found it.  :D

Bixxer Bob

The Tuneboy software is free, but it needs a software key specific to your ECU (expensive) and a bespoke cable (v expensive) hence me saying I could help as I have the cable, but you'd need a key.

Then you need to know what you're doing with it... that's where the real fun starts... :roll:

If it's running well, I'd leave it alone - at least to start with.

thefireweaver

Thanks Bob, she runs fine as she is, really no complaints at all, so I wouldn't start fiddling for the sake of it. It would be interesting to know how she's mapped now though, for the sake of comparison. If it turns out that she's already mapped as far as is sensible, then no point buying the key. If it turns out that there's a usable 20 horses available then well worth the money I should think. I'm in no rush anyway, the council have just been round and gritted again. Why is beyond me, the roads were nice and clean after all the rain had washed the salt off and nice and dry. Where were they when we were knee deep and I couldn't get my van to my workshop? :roll:
Cheers,
Julian

Bixxer Bob

We can always have a peek into your ECU and see what's in there,  no need for anything more than my laptop and cable for that.  Maybe set something up when the weather inmproves. :roll:

thefireweaver

That would be brilliant. Temperatures up on the plus side of 10 would be nice, I'll look forward to it. :lol: