News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

next generation Tiger(?) will compete with BMW GS

Started by REGULATOR, January 27, 2010, 02:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

I hear a lot of rumors and dealer comments and other "sources" tell me that Triumph home office is "considering" and "asking" about what if they made a GS equivalant type bike?

Now,  usually as tight lipped as Triumph is, this could mean, if they are talking about " the enduro segment" and oter things that have slipped out in interviews etc.

that it could mean that its probably already in the works. wonder if they have a prototype? and if they will use the current 1050 platform or start all over?  a 675 Tiger is supposedly already a done deal

who knows, could just be good market research by the Factory, or

or it could mean, something is coming...  something that could really knock a dent into BMW's market share..

I think Triumph is starting to get some Balls,  I mean with the R3Tourer and the new Thunderbird, they basically are starting to take on HD.

the Daytona 675,  took a dent out of the big 3, so did the ST3.

they are playing smart,  not trying to take over the whole market, just carve out little segments.  Most riders that switch to Triumph seem to stay with Triumph, unless of course they get that 1 of a thousands bike that needs a lot of work, or a shitty dealer.

But I bought my first Triumph a 2001 Sprint, and have also had a Daytona 600, Tiger 955, and a Rocket and although I apprecieate other bike brands,  I always seem to lean to the Triumphs first.

I wouldn't dream of buying a new bike that wasn;t a Triumph now..

I might pick up somethign used from another brand for a specific purpose or a deal too good to pass up..   But I think if Triumph keeps its prices competitive, it can really take a good chunk of the US market like back in the old days.....

redbirds

If Triumph builds a bike to compete with the GS they should study the 800 GS as a starting point. BMW seems to have hit a good compromise between off road and on road worthiness.

In addition, top quality suspension combined with spoked rims that can run tubeless. Skid plates and crash bars should be standard. A built in tool storage area with enough room for some useful items. Instrumentation that can be read in bright sunlight and large enough to be read at a glance. A small hand operated air pump like the one that came standard on my '73 R75. A fuel tank with a capacity of at least six gallons. Optional hard luggage that is rugged and capable of taking some abuse. Stick with chain drive for reliability and ease of service and a chain guard with adequate coverage. Rugged handguards with a stout mounting system.

As for what displacement, Triumph is said to have a new triple design in the works that is lighter than the current 1050cc.

I agree with you on Triumph loyalty. My '07 Tiger is the most satisfying bike I've ever owned and Triumph will be first brand on the list when I look for a replacement.
Living vicariously through myself.

Mustang

the "Rumor " I am hearing and the buzz chatter seems to be pointing towards a 1200 shaft drive .................................... :shock:

Also hearing rumors that the Trophy is coming back as a 1200 shaft drive .

If these rumors are true and Triumph sticks with there modular design I would think the next generation Tiger will be a 1200 shaft drive . :roll:

Tis all just speculation though ...............

Bixxer Bob

Whatever they do I wish they'd hurry up.  I want to change this summer and so far I have nothing in mind.  I was let down by the Honda "Blackbird Replacement" that is a VFR and pug ugly so am pinning my hopes on Triumph coming up trumps.... :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Well i saw my first VFR 1200 on monday in the flesh so to speak,didn't look half as bad,although i guess the tank is the same size!!!.

I bought a K1200r Sport with 1600 miles the end of last year,having sorted a few bits and bobs out and changed the suspension,it'll do for me,sorry us!!!.

Re Triumph's new bike,i think their all waiting to see how this Multistrada is going to pan out,marketing a 100hp bike against it will like turning up with a knife to a gun fight

JetdocX

Until one arrives in the showroom, it's all just rose-colored smoke rings being blown up your asses.  Forget about it.  Triumph seems way more interested in competing against H-D than BMW or KTM.
From parts unknown.

oxnsox

I'm with JD here.  Triumph can only grow if they work in the niches. How many bike manufacturers are there in the USA? And what style of machines are keeping their wheels spinning?
When your competition is still making industrial engines and you are able to leverage off history... its a no brainer. (Oh, and not being from asia probably helps too.)

Triumphs got a well respected Brand, pretty much worldwide. If they don't do anything crazy they'll continue to grow... what ever their business plan is it seems a good un.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tazshido

Quote from: "redbirds"If Triumph builds a bike to compete with the GS they should study the 800 GS as a starting point. BMW seems to have hit a good compromise between off road and on road worthiness.

In addition, top quality suspension combined with spoked rims that can run tubeless. Skid plates and crash bars should be standard. A built in tool storage area with enough room for some useful items. Instrumentation that can be read in bright sunlight and large enough to be read at a glance. A small hand operated air pump like the one that came standard on my '73 R75. A fuel tank with a capacity of at least six gallons. Optional hard luggage that is rugged and capable of taking some abuse. Stick with chain drive for reliability and ease of service and a chain guard with adequate coverage. Rugged handguards with a stout mounting system.

As for what displacement, Triumph is said to have a new triple design in the works that is lighter than the current 1050cc.

I agree with you on Triumph loyalty. My '07 Tiger is the most satisfying bike I've ever owned and Triumph will be first brand on the list when I look for a replacement.

Personally, I would like to see Triumph build a bike that blows the 800GS out of the water, not just compete with it. It doesn't need to be a big engine, the 675 would do but I'd like to see something in the way of a much lighter 500cc triple or so. If I were developing the bike I would mount a standard 3 or 4 gal tank and offer a very inexpensive 6+ gal as an add-on. It should be tall like a dedicated trail bike but with forks that can be dropped through the triple trees and an easily lowered rear for vertically challenged buyers. I wouldn't even put a pillion seat or pegs on it but would make them easily added. Triumph should not screw around with any comprimises. The R1200GS and the Tiger were compromises enough. A Tiger Cub should be a serious on/off road machine with massive emphasis on OFF road.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

Sasquatch

As it stands right now, if my bike were to get replaced today....

There would be a new Ducati Multisrada in my garage.  That thing makes me feel squishy inside. :wink:

Until the photos of the new MS came out recently, no bike has tempted me to leave my Girly.  But now, wow.  160hp, at least as off road capable as my Girly, adjsutable suspension, and the looks........ 'xcuse me, I need a tissue.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Sasquatch"........ 'xcuse me, I need a tissue.

Just one tissue :wink:

Admitted it's a damn sight better looking than the previous MS, that thing made my Varadero look positively pretty  :shock:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

Quote from: "Sasquatch"'xcuse me, I need a tissue.

I see a global deforestation problem in the works here. :lol:
From parts unknown.

akey

Wow just seen the new MS, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm with sasquatch if that thing is anywhere near as good as it looks it should give the whole sector a shake up.

tazshido

ok, I'll have to grudgingly admit, it's a nice looking bike. Seems to have design cues from the previous MS as well as heavy influence from the R1200GS, 1050 Tiger and Buell Ulysses. Almost seems like a sexy experiment in combining the best of all four bikes. I may not be needing a tissue but I'd follow her out onto the dance floor for awhile.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

Bixxer Bob

Actually sat on the demo MS at the bike show last Nov.  It's same as Tiger or 1200GS or thereabouts.  But 160 bhp (no need for a Blackbird any longer) three power settings (cos you can't use 160 bhp safely on the loose) and electronically linked suspension settings take it a generation ahead of anything anyone else is doing BUT will it be reliable?  My mate who's going to have the first MS in the UK thinks so.  I hope he's right.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

redbirds

The new MS feels right from the rider's seat. Took these pics at the Greenville show.

Living vicariously through myself.