News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

long trip advice

Started by jphish, February 22, 2010, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Departing late March for 15K mi / 2 month trip around the country. Was going to take 08 Uly - now vascillating on possibly my new / used 06 (only 4k mi) Tiger being steed of choice. Have all the 4yr service items done including new Anakee2's. The Uly I know pretty well - thus always travel with spare belt & rear bearings and other 'usual suspect' parts not always readily available in the few remaining Buell dealers left. What about the Tiger ?? Any parts / items to schlep along or things to watch out for, as an "antistranded in BFE" measure ? Inquiring minds...Thanks, j  :?:

Mustang

with 4k  You really only need to keep an eye on your chain and brake pads for that kind of trip , she should run fine for the entire 15 k , you might kill your tires before you get back home too !

carry a list of people you can have bail you out at various parts of the country ..I be good for anywhere within 400 miles of NH  to help if needed

Timbox2

Probably overkill, but you could take a spare Throttle and clutch Cable, the previous owner of my Tiger had routed a spare one of each in place, just in case
2016 Tiger Sport

jphish

Thanks Mustang - Yeah, the tires will need replenishment. Not sure of the mileage from anakee2's - but likely not 15K - maybe 10. Appreciate your offer - reciprocal if you ever get out this way. As to Timbox2's suggestion on throttle / clutch cables. I know they break - done it on my KLR - but  Tacoma Triumph said they're generally a dealer stocked item and are pretty durable - so told me not to worry about it until about 25k. He has an 07 tiger with 30K mi, and ain't replaced 'em yet. Guess I'm to used to Buells that had a 3 month back order for drive belts and voltage regulators - made me hyperaware of the 'dead in the water' possibilities. Sounds like the Tiger certainly can malfunction, but at least replacement parts are not as big a problem. Which is why I keep "eyeing the Tiger" as my trip choice. All I have left is to mount the tankbag & Palmer bracket / windscreen when it arrives. Uly has 3-4 days of wrenching before it's  road ready. Hmmm - whats the question here ??  If it wasn't for the Uly's infinatly adjustable suspension, & handling SO well on the back roads (we plan to stay off the interstates for the most part) I wouldn't hesitate to just call it a Tiger trip. May be the Buells last long haul - keep it as my 'daytripper' or weekend bike. I'm fortunate to have such a dilemma. TTFN, j

Timbox2

Re the Annakee II's, in a recent test in a german mag, they reckoned 7500KM only from the rear, but they are probably hammering them
2016 Tiger Sport

TheMule

Come to southern UT and I'll have a cold beer waiting for you!
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

redbirds

Same here. Stop in if you get to southeast Georgia and we'll treat you to a steak and some cold beer. Good luck.
Living vicariously through myself.

John Stenhouse

Did 10,500 mls in Alaska a couple of years ago and all the Tig needed was, as Mustang said, tyres and brake pads.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jphish

Thanks for all the beer invites guys - I would call & provide ample warning...or chance to flee the area. Timbox2 - 7500 km ??!! Crimminy!  They must be doing "track days" on those things. The original Anakees had 4k mi & appeared to have another 3k or so left. But I don't like riding on 5 year old tires - so replaced 'em. I will watch the pads and check the tires... Or is that the other way around ?  Appreciate the input folks. j

Advwannabe

Hope you have a fantastic trip J,

Pack a fuel filter in case you get  bad fuel some place, and a couple of 'o' rings for the press on fuel tank fittings.

I had my bike serviced in Perth Western Australia on one trip a few years back, the mechanic pinched one of the o rings and I was very lucky it blew near a garage and I was able to get another one.

Enjoy, R
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Sasquatch

Even though it only has 4k on it, I would check the valve clearances before you go.  Many need it long before the 12k service.  Once checked, they should do the whole trip.

Corbin seat.  You'll thank me later.

The bikes are really solid.  Yeah, sometimes they break, like anything, but you can not plan for everything.

Carry a credit card and have access to this list and ADV for help in any part of the country.

Put me down for a call if you get to SW Idaho.

NebraskaRat

Order a set of air craft quality steel gas tank quick disconnect fittings from team Triumph (janesville, WI) and replace that cheap plastic one.  Do it before you ever leave your driveway.

At 4K your bike hasn't even lost it's placenta sac yet :lol: My son is currently headed for South America on his '02 Tiger, somewhere in Honduras today.  His El Tigre with have 70K miles on the clock by the time he gets to Panama.  Damn good bike.

swamper650

Strongly suggest....speaking from experience.....replace the fragile radiator expansion tank fittings, carry a radiator cap and do the voltage fix, in addition to iinstalling metal tank,fuel rail fittings. I get the best mileage out of Metzler Tourance tires. They are secure in the twisties and can handle hard packed dirt roads.

You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

Sin_Tiger

I have done nearly 20k klms on current Anakees on the Vara which is a much heavier bike in 30+C temps but I'm not particularly heavy or heavy on the throttle. Wouldn't expect the 2's to be much less for mostly highway riding.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

jphish

Thanks gentleman - I'm keeping track of all the beer invites, but should probably start paying more attention to your sage advice. Valves & throttle bodies done, Tiger is an 06, didn't think I had plastic fuel fittings ?  Swamper650 - whats the voltage fix? I may have missed that one. Trying to shoehorn all the maint items in between my work schedule - brutal! The good news is I'll be unemployed soon for the remainder of 2010. Yahoo! Leaving on 1st day of spring - can't wait. Though El Nin'o may provide a cool wet ride through SW & Gulf states. Oh well - thats what the "Rain"ier jacket is for. Chow' all,  j