News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

long trip advice

Started by jphish, February 22, 2010, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Other than maybe changing the fuel fittings before you leave (should be ok unless you try to unhook them between now and then) I'd say you will probably be fine.  Maybe take them with you just in case :)

I wouldn't carry many spares, but I would carry a printout of the Girly Cross Reference parts list.  The filters, o-rings, etc can all be picked up at a Triumph, BMW, Ducati, or even most auto parts stores (fuel filter is plastic but would get you buy till you could change it properly).
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

cbxtc6

Since I did a fair amount of gravel on my '06 back in 2008, I brought a complete set  of brake pads, clutch cable and lever.  I still have the lever and cable if you need them!  I rode 11,000 miles, and the only part I really needed was the left rear axle bushing.  I checked it in Alaska, and it was very scored.  The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage had them in stock.  

Free beer and bunk for you, or anyone passing through N. Illinois.

Cheers!

Mike

PS.  Link to my Ride Report IL -> AK
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441985

Montek

Beer and food in Pinetop Arizona if your in the area

Monte
Big cats are faster

jphish

Evil' - Mike - Monte, (and all the others) Thanks for the response. I trust the Tiger - but like most things mechanical, they all have their Achilles heal. My Buell has had 2 major malfunctions on long trips - one clear up in the Yukon. I think the Tiger would have a slightly better parts network. Failing that, I'd put out an APB on TigerTriple and hope for the best. That was the thing about BWB - guys willing to send you a Buell 'get home' part and settle up later. I sense the Tiger folks are similar minded - great group!! Meanwhile, I'll keep farkling away - I'll get to the end eventually. My biggest challenge is to make space for all my fly boxes - so many fish...so little room. TTFN, j

greg

Your Tiger will laugh it off. A couple of years ago I took mine on a long trip (8,000 miles, one month, 2 up, fully loaded with luggage) on a mix of good roads, shit roads, and no roads at all. Nothing went wrong. Not a thing. I did manage to smash the rear brake lever against a rock, gaffa taped the hanging off bits and carried on with just the front, and put a massive ding in the front wheel in an enormous pothole, which I hammered out, slung it back on and carried on, but those two things were not reliability issues, they were just abuse.

Tigers love abuse. They are hard as nails.
2004 Girly.

jphish

Thats good to hear. I like reliability. I don't plan on doing ANY single track - mostly just back roads - though not adverse to the dirt road less traveled. Riding in mostly unfamiliar country. The US & Canada are each 3.5 million sq mi. I'm sure dirt / gravel is in our future somewhere. If nothing else it will be beginning of road construction season - torn up tarmac a virtual certainty.