News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Site avatar restrictions

Started by ArchRider, February 24, 2010, 01:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

Can anyone tell me the best way to get an avatar (photo image) down to the 6kB limit?  I have been working with Photoshop but everytime I get the file size down that small per the program, the image properties show it is much larger and the site won't let me post it.  Further, by the time I get the file size that small, the image is the size of pinhead.

John Stenhouse

MMM, never tried on here, but other times I've just re sized the image, it should give you an option of pixel size ie, 275X430 etc. Just take that down to 60X80 and it should work.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

abruzzi

The max avatar size is 80x80 pixels, so start by scaling the pic to that size or smaller. (Some sites allow really large avatars, but they clutter up the layout, so we keep them small.)

You'll get better image quality out of a JPEG for most types of images, so make sure you are in RGB mode.  The do a "save for web".  This will let you tweek the jpeg settings and see their effect and the resulting size of the image.  I'd start with the JPEG medium preset and tweak from there.

Geof

ArchRider

Tried that. The pixel size was right but the file size was still over the 6 kB limit. and this was with 72 pixels/inch.  I didn't want to get any grainier than that.

ArchRider

Abruzzi,
Did not try the "save for web".  I'll try that next. Thanks.