News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello and a couple of questions...

Started by tiger77, March 02, 2010, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiger77

Hello all, new to the forum after selling the old Deauville and getting a 2002 Tiger  :D

I have a couple of questions in relation to the bike - it is a 2002 with 12000 on the clock and in a decent state of repair.

Firstly, do they always idle roughly? I'm used to parallel twins and v-twins, but never a triple or four. It seems to give a steady brum-brum-brum for want of a better description, rather than a smooth, constant tickover. Never stalls, and fine once you hit about 2k revs and pull away.

Secondly - starting problems. The bike had a new battery a couple of years back, and the Optimate says its fine (I know these aren't infallible). It will either start without any problems, or do nothing at all. Finishing work at 7am this morning and wiping the frost off the bike, all the display lights came on as you'd hope. The lights came on brightly.
I pushed the starter and... nothing. Not even a dimming of the lights. Did this for a few minutes, before it turned over reluctantly and started. Once going, it never stalls.

It has the starting problem when warm as well, such as in the garage, and appears hit or miss whether it starts.

Are the sidestand/starter button switches particularly vulnerable to damp/dirt on these bikes? The old Honda would sit in a foot of snow overnight and start with no issues - ever!

Otherwise this seems a good bike - needs some tlc, and a wash - but this starting issue is a pain  :evil:

Mike

John Stenhouse

First place to look as you suggest is the clutch and sidestand switches. Clutch would be first, cause the sidestand one isn't in the starter circuit. Next time it does it take some WD40 to it see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't do it try pumping the clutch lever several times.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

the cyclops

Welcome!
The bike should start and run smooth, at least once its warmed up for half a minute.  Check the switches as stated above, also there is an emergency kill switch on the right of the bars near the throttle.  Don't use it as your every day switch as it can do weird things to the computer from what some folks say.  Always use the key.  The switch could also be corroded, that will give the same symptoms.  Work it a few times with the key off in case is has a little dust or something on the contacts.    There is a way to reset the computer, start the bike without touching the throttle and let it idle for 12 minutes.  See if this clears anything up.  

You say it has 12k on it, is that miles or km?  If its miles it time for service, do a search through the stickys.  If its km then I bet it has sat a lot and may need to have the spider webs cleaned out of it.  Ride it hard for a few miles.  You may need to pull the tank and check a lot of the electrical connections and reapply some electrical grease to them.  Change the plugs while you are in there.  Also get the rats nest out of the air box (not Tiger lingo, I mean literally, there may be one in there, have seen it happen to other bikes that have sat).  Keep us posted so if someone else has this problem we have a data base to fall back on.  

Once you get this cleared up, you are going to love 'er.
Growing older but not up

oxnsox

Also could be dirty contacts on the start button.  There's a few have had that issue, and if the bikes sat for a bit without regular use then any of the switch contacts could well do with a clean.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EvilBetty

Search for Tiger 955i on you tube to see some examples of properly running Tigers.

Might need a throttle body balance, like others said check your air filter / box.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

ChazzyB

Quote from: "tiger77"It seems to give a steady brum-brum-brum for want of a better description, rather than a smooth, constant tickover.

I thought that was part of the character - mine does it too.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

the cyclops

There is a video of my bike that you can hear it start.  Too much wind noise after it gets moving from the helmet cam, but you can get an idea.

Growing older but not up

tiger77

Thanks all - I will clean up the contacts and take her for a good old fashioned thrash and blow out some of the cobwebs - the bike wasn't used a lot by the previous owner.

Had a listen to the bikes on youtube - they do sound the same as mine on tickover - one less worry. Just used to the steady chug of a twin I guess  :roll:

The bike has 12k miles on the clock (forgot this was a multinational forum!), but has just been serviced. Think I'll clean her up at any rate, it doesn't look like the valve clearances have been checked, and on getting home I noticed both footpeg brackets were so loose they were about to fall off! Doesn't inspire confidence in the mechanic that last looked at her!

Thanks again,
Mike

John Stenhouse

Funny you should mention this, stripped the rear brake this afternoon as it was sticking. Took it out to a GS meeting (like you do) to check it out and found that it took more than one push to get it turning over.
Definttely dirty contacts in my case, anothe little job for this week.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "tiger77"I noticed both footpeg brackets were so loose they were about to fall off!
Mike

Hey tiger77 !! while yer at it, put nyloc nuts on the bolts, most of us have done it and some have even threadlocked them aswell !!  :)

1 point to remember is the Tigger likes a loose drive chain, just keep it in mind !!

have fun !!

KK

ps Welcome to TT.com !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

tiger77

Right then - found out the intermittent starting fault. The starter button is old and worn out, and requires a good solid push to make it work. That'll be stripped down and cleaned tomorrow then...

While I was at it, found the steering head bearings are notchier than a heavily notched thing, so ordered a new set. £25 from Triumphparts.co.uk. Half the price of a set from Triumph themselves... figures. That's my weekend over then.

And finally - do these 2002 Tigers have braided brake lines as standard? Both front and rear are braided, although I cannot see which brand.

Cheers,

Mike