News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone dropped their front end???

Started by wingnut111, March 17, 2010, 11:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingnut111

I have a corbin on my bike and am barely touching the ground. Anyone drop their front end an inch or two through the triple trees? If so how drastically did your handling change? Don't have the heart to cut the seat and I'm not hitting the dirt anytime soon so I thought I'd ask.
If it has 2 or 3 wheels I\'ll ride it, race it or wreck it... possibly all three

Mustang

if your bike has the eccentric rear chain adjusters .....flip em 180 degrees and drop the trees on the forks about an inch it makes a dramatic difference in ride height but not so much effect to the handling except for it might 'turn in' a little quicker

TheMule

Before putting a lowering shock on the Tig I had done exactly what Mustang suggested. Worked very well except you'll have to cut a chunk out of the kickstand or always park with the kickstand side downhill  :D .
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

Buffalo

I have an 05 without the eccentric adjusters. I raised the forks a hair less than an inch (lowered the front end) and backed off the preload on the rear shock to allow more sag. I like a soft ride and it handles the bumpy turns better.
The bike probably sits and inch lower than stock and to me the steering is quicker and it handles much better on the twisties. I haven't noticed any high speed stability issues, but I don't ride crazy like anyway.
I would say drop it some and try it, if ya don't like it, it is easy to change back.
\'05 Tiger 955i
74 Suzuki GT550

Wiggus

I too rotated the rear eccentric, and dropped the triple tree down about 7/8". I don't remember now if it handled any better, but it's certainly not worse. Much better for me at a stop though. The forks were not easy to raise; I expected them to slip right up but it took a mallet and a 2x4 to the Ttree to get them to budge.  :shock:
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "wingnut111"I have a corbin on my bike and am barely touching the ground. Anyone drop their front end an inch or two through the triple trees? If so how drastically did your handling change? Don't have the heart to cut the seat and I'm not hitting the dirt anytime soon so I thought I'd ask.

What you have to be carefull of,the more you drop the forks through the quicker the bike will turn,the more unstable it becomes,pull them through too much and the front will tuck.

Before i changed my front wheel at one stage i ran e'm 10mm through,in the end settled for 8mm,just have to do your own R+D to find the line between what works and whats scares the crap out of you :wink:

Wiggus

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Before i changed my front wheel at one stage i ran e'm 10mm through

Did you lower the rear too, or just the front? I lowered both hoping to maintain as close to the original geometry as possible.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Wiggus"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"Before i changed my front wheel at one stage i ran e'm 10mm through

Did you lower the rear too, or just the front? I lowered both hoping to maintain as close to the original geometry as possible.

It wasn't height thing i had a problem with,it was the fact it steered and turned like a wheelbarrow and i dropped the forks through to speed the steering up,it was the original geometry i was trying to get away from.

In fact on a visit to the factory in 2000,it was the topic of conversation on how much drop them,the 5/10mm was the factory suggestion on the nudge nudge wink wink,nothing to do with us!!!,i did on both my 885i's and then on mt 955,and then fed up with the whole front end and put a 17" wheel on.

jonathan jaecks

Recently swapped out my Anakees for Pilot Roads.  The Anakee front is more a a "V" shape than the Pilot Road, which is more of a "U" shape.  My Tiger is set up for road only now so its sort of a DST (dual sport touring) rather than the DS as intended.  The Anakee turns in much easier than the Pilot Road, but in fast/linked turns will stand up in the transitions.  The Pilot Road transitions much more seamlessly through corners, but is a bitch (slow with lots of effort) to turn at speed.  Soooo, I moved the fork tubes up 10mm through the triple clamps and now it's damn near perfect.  Stable at speed and much, much faster at transitioning through closely linked turns. I wouldn't call it a scalpel, but its damn good set up this way with these tires.  Probably would only go 5mm with the Anakees.  comfortably 10mm with the Pilot Roads.

kpmunt

So if you rotate the tensioners 180 degrees do you end up needing to shorten the chain?

rf9rider

Quote from: "kpmunt"So if you rotate the tensioners 180 degrees do you end up needing to shorten the chain?

No, the axle is the same distance from the front sprocket, only lower.
I think i read on here that you may have to raise the chain guard, or maybe thats only on  the Steamer?

iansoady

Quote from: "rf9rider"I think i read on here that you may have to raise the chain guard, or maybe thats only on  the Steamer?

Yes you do but it only needs a simple spacer and longer bolt.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650