News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

YAPI - noobie

Started by BruKen, March 23, 2010, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Well Geoff, the way I would clean it out is to go to Halfords and buy the rust remover concentrate that you mix in solution with water. Buy the 20 litre one and fill your tank.
Make sure you have all the replacement petcock seals. They'll be fubar when you are done.

Rinse thoroughly and fill with petrol and store.

BruKen

Progress has slowed down recently due to trying to source info on how to's

Progress so far has been in servicing the rear shock, front forks (what a nightmare) and brake calipers.

Rear shock is a Showa and turns out to be relatively simple, IF YOU FOLLOW THE BOOK OF WORDS, ( http://idriders.com/proflex/files/shock%20service.pdf )  if you dumb like me you can land yourself in all sorts of trouble.

QuoteRedid the shock this morning and forgot to slide the spring retainer over the shock body. No probs, just undo the shock eyelet at the bottom and slide it on. Like this......

Well I completely forgot about the damping needle in the shaft didn't I?
120 psi of pressure and not only was I covered in oil but the needle shot off like an arrow and I had to retrieve it from the roof. Then to make matters worse I thought I would save myself the effort of not bleeding the shocker (after all I am not changing oil, just topping up) well the effort of pulling out to full extension with the bladder seal on is hard going and it came out...all the way out  with a pop and a gurgle showering me with the remaining oil. On my second attempt, being a fresh start I have bled the system and ready to seal in only to find I am 5ml short of 5wt oil.

QuoteWith the loverly jubberly new paint job on the shock the spring seat won't slide up cos the paint has added couple of microns to its girth!!!!. I've just had to nitromors my loverly jubberly paint job so I can slide said bastid seat into position and am currently respraying. WHY ME GOD!!!!  

QuoteNot much to a shock is there?

Bleeding the shock after a fresh injection of oil

all painted and the test to see if all is well. I'm ferkin brilliant. The job is a good un.

uh - oh, notice in the vid how the spring seat doesnt slide down the shock body tho  

Strip paint job off and slide on

Repaint in the dark :(

Enamel is on, just got to let it settle out into a nice gloss sheen. We'll have a peek tomoz and hope the job is a goodun. Pics to follow.

notice my boys workbench on the left. Now you know why I enjoy garage time

Oh, you'll need one of these with the screwcap silver soldered shut

Then onto the calipers. Did a caliper overhaul and repaint. Only caliper paint I could find?........RED! :(

The front forks were a nighmare. Not a single bolt in the entire fork assemble didn't strip the head off trying to get them out. Servicing the forks was the hardest job so far because of this galvanic corrosion. In the end I drilled the damper rod bolts out. Painted them. New oil seals, dust seals, teflon damper rod rings (bush) and Mustamgs recommended 15wt oil....which has still to go in WHEN SOMEONE CAN TELL ME HOW MUCH :(

My garage just abandoned in disgust

BruKen

Oh, nearly forgot. This almost caused a divorce

:twisted:  :twisted:

Bixxer Bob

....divorce... because the smell just won't go away will it? :ImaPoser

I made the same mistake when baking the laquer on my Blackbird's generator housing.  I carefully degreased it,  painted and laquered it, then baked it.  But the heat brought loads of oil out of the casing pores and then burned the fumes into the oven walls.  It was months before we could have a Sunday roast again  :oops:

And don't even mention degreasing a cylinder head in the dishwasher :shock:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

erppppp ummmmm ja well no fine. loadsa caustic soda :wink:

Mustang

Quote from: "BruKen"and Mustamgs recommended 15wt oil....which has still to go in WHEN SOMEONE CAN TELL ME HOW MUCH :(

what has always worked for me and the showas is to push the forktube down into the lower and then add oil until it is 5 1/8 inches (130 mm) from the top of the fork tube , may take you a couple of trys to get the right level as I suspect you will need to refill the damper units with oil

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "BruKen"and Mustamgs recommended 15wt oil....which has still to go in WHEN SOMEONE CAN TELL ME HOW MUCH :(

what has always worked for me and the showas is to push the forktube down into the lower and then add oil until it is 5 1/8 inches (130 mm) from the top of the fork tube , may take you a couple of trys to get the right level as I suspect you will need to refill the damper units with oil

Thank you sir :)

ramseybella

Quote from: "BruKen"Ta Sin. I was being flippant about the engine, tho the price of parts is discouraging when you consider that just to replace the brake systems would basically exceed the resale value of the bike.

Resale?
I was thinking of selling mine but every time I take the thing for a ride I can't do it I like the ugly thing to much but parts are harder to find.
Like my friend calls it the Ugly Bike that Hauls A$$!!

New Rubber, Chain and Sprokets, side cover gasket, shift shaft seal and bearing $$$$$$$$ :shock: .
Pinched a huge blood blister on my thumb with vice grips to replace the front Cal star bolts the last stupid owner used a Hex tool on it and stripped it so I tried to use vice grips wound up pounding my old star tool into it and a breaker bar, no problem and replaced with hex head M10/1.25 bolts after cutting them a little shoorter..

All in All you are doing a damn fine job for how trashed it loooked, nice paint on the motor..

BruKen

Ohhh look....

Its Wall-e :D

Okay, 10 points to the first person who spots my assembly gaffe

And BTW, if you ever try and put the engine back in with the swing arm spindle tightenned and can't.... Join the club. Had me scratching my head sweating like a pig trying to manhandle that lump in solo.

BruKen

Well the build has begun. Spent the weekend putting the engine back in and front end.

I had planned on putting in the exhausts last but the assembly dictates they need to go in first so ended up stripping off the front subframe and radiator, sanding the headerpipes and baffles down and repainting.

So far....

CoolHandLuke

That's coming along well, mate.  I would really like to see this "in the flesh" when it's done.  Although mine wasn't as in bad nick as yours, I share a lot of your pain at trying to remove bolts that have not been moved since they were first installed.  I wish I had the time to strip mine down and completely restore it - as it is, I am fixing things as I go along :)

Keep the pictures coming.

ramseybella

Bravo, looks good.

coachgeo

:bowdown  oh hail to the master.  

very impressive.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

BruKen

Thanks guys :)

Quote from: "coachgeo":bowdown  oh hail to the master.  

very impressive.

Ummm that's very flattering but the master here is Mustang. That man is a Tigerphile, in a good way of course :D

ramseybella

When do you work on it and how many hours a week? :?: