News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

YAPI - noobie

Started by BruKen, March 23, 2010, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Not as impatient as me tho Geoff. I am waiting for Triumph to replenish their gasket stock so I can start the rebuild. I have the engine spread all over the garage waiting assembly that I don't have room for the chassis breakdown.

Sin_Tiger

I thought I had the same wait for gasket sets but when I contacted Jack Lilley they said no they were waiting for clutch plates, now I guess they'll be in a backlog under an ash cloud  :(

:new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geoff D

Hows it going Bruce?? you got them bl**dy gaskets yet or what?

I got started on the Green bitch  :wink:  :lol: sorry queen, here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... =573003....
couldn't really post it up on here being a yamaha and all... I promise I won't be hard on ya,  :roll:  not even a little bit... honest
The older I get the faster I was...

BruKen

Finally got the gaskets today :)

277 quid for a full gasket set, battery, and general service items. WOW! Gonna rub the coating off to expose the gold underneath :(

Anyway, the fat lady finally shut up so will continue this weekend.

Hope your shoulder heals up nice Geoff.

rybes

Quote from: "BruKen"Anyway, the fat lady finally shut up so will continue this weekend.

wouldnt be the first bike build ive heard of that ended in a relationship break up :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "rybes"
Quote from: "BruKen"Anyway, the fat lady finally shut up so will continue this weekend.

wouldnt be the first bike build ive heard of that ended in a relationship break up :lol:

Oh please lets not go there, her ladyship doesn't even know about mine yet  :oops:  :pottytrain2
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "rybes"

Oh please lets not go there, her ladyship doesn't even know about mine yet  :oops:  :pottytrain2

i know that feelin well. i had to give mine me yella streetfighter id built to stop any volcanic responses :lol:

BruKen

Well, got off to a poor start today. Was about to begin putting the engine back together and for the life of me could not find the 2l of 15W50 that I had lying about to fill the oil can with. Not about to assemble her dry I said to the missus I'd take the boy to Halfords and be out half an hour. Oh no you won't she said, you'll take me and your daughter too and we'll go shopping all together :(
By the time we got back we had visitors :( :(
So starting at 5pm I have only managed to get the valves in and head on.

As I said earlier I didn't want to spend 45 quid on a valve spring compressor and mad one out of a G clamp. Great for getting the collets out, but with it being a recessed head, not much room for getting the collets back in. Bit of grease all round did the trick nicely holding the collet to a screw driver and in turn to the valve stem. Made the job very easy.

Oooooohh that head face looks knackered doesn't it? Truth is the face is quite smooth and the discolouration is due to whatever gasket compound the factory added. Looks a lot worse in the photo's but put a thin coating of blue hylomar on just in case either side of the gasket. If it's good enough for a RR Merlin, the Tiger can concider herself spoilt imo.

For the last month I have been torturing myself. Do I go with conventional wisdom and glaze bust / hone the perfectly good wet liners and get new rings. Everything measures up well within tolerance. Conrod, gudgeon pin, piston, rings and liner. Almost as good as new. Or do I go with SAE findings, that glaze busting is a throwback to earlier technology and is now a  myth and the only time to hone is after a rebore simply because the nature of the cut is a tight screw which you don't want and honing is the lesser evil.
In the end my tight fist won out. If it's all fine just put it back together.

Pistons in

Oh now there was some fun. I must have marked piston 1 as 3 and vice versa. Could tell by the remaining gudgeon retaining clips which are on the side wall facing end. This got my heart racing as had I made the same mistake on the liners or not?  Oh bollox! 50 - 50 chance. In the end I kept the liner numbering as marked. If it smokes like hell I won't feel too bad replacing wetliner and piston / rings complete. But no point in wasting 400 quid otherwise. ( I suspect I am about to be flamed big time)

The book of words says you don't need a piston ring clamp to put the wetliners on. Indeed there isn't enough room to use one. It was bloody difficult though for the first one and it only got harder as I progressed. It must have taken a good half hour to put the third and final one on because there was no room for my fat fingers to manually compress the rings to slid in.

Getting the head on

Four stage torque. Please tell me I got it right.
1: 20 Nm
2: 27Nm
3: turn bolt 90 degrees
4 outer bolts 12Nm

??? Some sources say 2 should be 35 Nm

Now for the cam shafts.... Praying that the shims are still within tolerance. Hold thumbs :)

rybes

thats looking good mate  :D  wanna come do my engine when your finished :lol: my engines gettin left till next winter for a rebuild. jus got me fingers crossed it holds out till then  :bowdown:

BruKen

Lol. You might want to wait and see if I can get that engine running before inviting me to destroy yours too :)

JetdocX

I totally missed this one!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Must have been the YAPI title.  "YAPI"???  Must be some kind of fancy new Chinese GPS or something? :lol:

Bruken, you have way more patience than I, sir, and should be commended. 8)

You mentioned not remembering which cylinders went into which holes if I translate the Queen's english correctly?  The center cylinder is a slight bit larger to accomodate piston expansion.  So if you got it right, it will run.  If you didn't get it right, it might get expensive.

Also, valves...I've gone through my own private hell with these bastards.  Your engine is a 95, so I hope you don't get this problem.  A while back my intakes started their own private recession.  So I had the valves out, seats cleaned up, new valves, springs, seals, etc.  Less than 6000 miles later I had the same condition.  Turns out the seats were too hard for the valves.  I had to send my head to Houston to have the seats cut out and new softer seats installed.  

Like I said, I hope yours do better than mine the first time around, but keep an eye on your clearances.  If you have to find shims three sizes or more thinner next check, you probably have the same condition going on in your head.

Good luck!  Your kid has the same look on his face almost every picture of mine helping me out in the garage.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"You mentioned not remembering which cylinders went into which holes if I translate the Queen's english correctly?  The center cylinder is a slight bit larger to accomodate piston expansion.  So if you got it right, it will run.  If you didn't get it right, it might get expensive.

the center cylinder liner can only go back in the center .....it's the only one of the three that has a flat machined on each side of it  #1 & #3 only
have 1 flat machined on them

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "JetdocX"You mentioned not remembering which cylinders went into which holes if I translate the Queen's english correctly?  The center cylinder is a slight bit larger to accomodate piston expansion.  So if you got it right, it will run.  If you didn't get it right, it might get expensive.

the center cylinder liner can only go back in the center .....it's the only one of the three that has a flat machined on each side of it  #1 & #3 only
have 1 flat machined on them

Oh dear. Then we got a real problem as all three liners had flats either side.

My problem was not which was the 2nd (middle liner and piston) but whether I have put piston 1 into cylinder 3 and vice versa as I had labelled the pistons from right to left instead of left to right. I dont think I made the same mistake with the liners tho, but cant be sure.

BruKen

Well today I have finished the engine

Getting the cam arrows to line up, and then bolt down the cam caps was a real headache. The intake as you torqued it down  was always inclined to jump a tooth. Eventually, installing the cam chain tensioner before torqueing the cam caps solved the problem. I did remember to remove and reinstall the tensioner after completeing the job....oer, or did I, better go check again.

The shims were a bit to thick in the end. Right on the cusp of needing to be swapped down to a lower size. To be expected after lapping the valve heads I suppose. So that will be a job for it's first service.

Finaly the head on and grease on the mobile camera lense. Typical :)

After that came the laborious job of cleaning up mating surfaces for the gaskets. WHAT THE F!!! kind of sealant does the factory use? It's dried like glue and had to be scraped off very delicately with a stanley blade. Still wasn't as bad as the head tho.

New stainless cap head bolts and copper grease :)

RHS done

LHS done

Oh and Triumph told me a big porkie. The water pump O-rings are not included in the "complete with every gasket and O ring for a complete engine rebuild " set even tho they assured me it was. :(

Mustang

:oops: Well I am going to eat crow on the liners then .......I could have sworn that the center liner was different other than the bore being larger . but I have no open motors to look at and I don't have the liners anymore from a blown engine , so it will be as Jetdocx said the center one is a bigger diameter .

Open mouth......... insert foot  :ImaPoser
sucks to get old ............suffering from CRS ........can't remember shit  :ImaPoser