News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clunky gearchange

Started by tiger77, March 23, 2010, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiger77

Hello all,

My 2002 Tiger (11.5k on the clock) has a very 'pronounced' clunk when changing into first from neutral. Changing up through the gears also feels very agricultural.

I am used to a very slick Suzuki gearbox (amongst others).

Do I need to be concerned, or is this a Tiger trait? It had an oil change 1000 miles ago with semi-synth. Does fully synth help at all?

Thanks,

Mike

Mustang

Quote from: "tiger77"Hello all,

My 2002 Tiger (11.5k on the clock) has a very 'pronounced' clunk when changing into first from neutral. Changing up through the gears also feels very agricultural.

I am used to a very slick Suzuki gearbox (amongst others).

Do I need to be concerned, or is this a Tiger trait? It had an oil change 1000 miles ago with semi-synth. Does fully synth help at all?

Thanks,

Mike
going into first gear is always a 'clunk ' ..perfectly normal tiger trait

full synth makes the gearbox shift like butter , but first gear engagement will always 'clunk'

Advwannabe

955 Daytonas must have something fancy in the gearbox because neither of mine clunk as badly as Tigger.

Get used to the clunk, it's just Tiggers way of letting you know where you are in the 'box  8)
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

akey

Tigers like a slightly loose chain, this can cause the clunk when it drops into first.  may also explain the difference between marques.

Mine is pretty clunky to although I tend to say it has a good positive feedback system  :lol:

Sin_Tiger

Every Honda I've ridden clunks going into first when warm as well so it's not just Tiggers, keep your hand on the brake if you are worried.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cosmo

The basic design of the M/C wet clutch causes the clutch to drag, leading to the clunk into first.

"They all do that, sir"

As for the "agricultural" feel, try clutchless shifting: while putting a preload on the lever, quickly snap the throttle off (a bit, not to idle) and back on. With a bit of practice, you can make your passenger think you've a CVT.

Seriously, if you REALLY want an agricultural gearbox, may I suggest a Honda CB1100?? That was a nasty one. Or the CB360 five/six speed box - depends on the planets alignment.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

tiger77

Cheers all for the replies, will get used to it. Glad I asked before tearing down the clutch and spending a fortune...

Sin_Tiger

Enjoy, wait till you are sitting at the lights behind a handful of GS's and the lights change, sounds like someone just dumped a handful of bricks into a 40 Gal oil drum  :wink:  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geoff D

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"wait till you are sitting at the lights behind a handful of GS's and the lights change

:shock:  no, no,no...... sitting at the lights in front of a handful of GS's .... 8)  :roll:
The older I get the faster I was...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Geoff D"
Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"wait till you are sitting at the lights behind a handful of GS's and the lights change

:shock:  no, no,no...... sitting at the lights in front of a handful of GS's .... 8)  :roll:

Even if you're not, you will be, 50 yds down the road when the lights change... 8)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Advwannabe

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Geoff D"

Even if you're not, you will be, 50 yds down the road when the lights change... 8)

:ImaPoser

In any case you don't want to be cleaning all that final drvie oil of your Tigger  8)
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

chairhead

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Enjoy, wait till you are sitting at the lights behind a handful of GS's and the lights change, sounds like someone just dumped a handful of bricks into a 40 Gal oil drum  :wink:  :lol:
:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :icon_salut
Nearly had coffee all over the keyboard,that tickled me!,Ref the "clunk"
yep,mine does that too,its also agricultural compared to my Bandit12 which is oh so silky smooth
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

iansoady

It's funny but mine is silent going into first when it's stone cold, but clunks as reported once it's warmed up. It's irritating as I tend to slip into neutral at traffic lights etc. Keeping the clutch out for a second or so before selecting first helps as does briefly selecting second then first.

Unlike the old Meriden twins which always needed the clutch plates freeing by using the kickstart with the clutch out otherwise there was a horrific clang on the first gear selection of the day.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "iansoady"It's funny but mine is silent going into first when it's stone cold, but clunks as reported once it's warmed up.

Vara is the same, Steamer same before I ripped it to bits  :roll:

redbirds

The ST 1300 I had before the Tiger clunked even worse. Just a Tiger trait.
Living vicariously through myself.