News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885 to 955 engine swap

Started by barbwire44, March 23, 2010, 01:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbwire44

Could you remove the 885 engine and install the 955 in it's place easily, or I guess will it bolt up and what else would cross over is my question, the frames look really similar. Have seen a few 955 low mile engines going for pretty cheap, just wondered if it was do-able and maybe a fun winter project for next year???
2000 Triumph Tiger
KTM 300 XC-W
XR650L  Big Red Pig!

barbwire44

or maybe not..LOL!!! no responses,,has anyone done this??? I looked up the frames and they are the same, seems as if it would not be too big a job if the fuel system is a bolt-on, they are not the same, but I don't know what is different other than the part numbers, same with the wiring harness, I'm betting 90% of the connections and wires are the same, but the different alternator, and fuel system could be a pain, or could just get a newer harness also???
2000 Triumph Tiger
KTM 300 XC-W
XR650L  Big Red Pig!

Chris Canning

I've had both,if you look on UK e-bay a hybrid has just been sold on there,withe an RS engine in,so i'd say yes a 955 will fit,but you'll need the loom and ecu injectors ect.

Timbox2

Id have thought that as long as you get the matching ECU and loom it should be doable, having seen the Tiger on ebay with the sprint or similar engine, 03 frame with 05 swingarm etc etc, go on give it a go youd be a wealth of info afterwards :wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Could do with Bob keeping this as a sticky,there is a mine of info with these photos.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-Triumph-Tige ... 45f19183ef

barbwire44

since you have had both, is there really a big horsepower difference?, would money be better spent on an exhaust and re-mapp, or just ride and be happy..LOL!!
2000 Triumph Tiger
KTM 300 XC-W
XR650L  Big Red Pig!

Chris Canning

Even though both bikes share so many parts,i found i sat in my 885 and on my 955,why i haven't a clue,power wise like chalk and cheese,over 100mph the 885 is out of it's comfort zone,i've ridden a 955 for the best part of 14 hours at over 100mph and more importantly it's able to respond at that kind of speed,i'm not suggesting that everyone wants to ride at those speeds but just show the difference.

I'd keep the 885 as his,mine would just about pull a 19t sprocket which keeped it a little more relaxed ,and then when the time comes sell and buy a 955,what i can tell you the gap between the 955 and the 1050 isn't as big as the other way.