News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Micromesh Screen Repair Kit

Started by Timbox2, March 25, 2010, 05:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

OK, so its not that often that I am truly impressed with a product, but this is one of those times. Some of you may be aware that I dropped the Tigger on sunday. Probably the most noticeable damage was to the MRA screen as it slid down the wall.

Id heard of this stuff and as Im not far from Woodys Sport Importarium http://www.sportouring.com.  popped round to have a look.
£30 sounds  alot for what at first to me seemed like a box of wet and dry and a few other bits and pieces, but sometimes you gotta have faith. The instructions are very thorough and for deep scratches like mine you actually start with standard 320 grade wet and dry before moving through the 9 different micromesh grades, from 1500 to 12000!! Then finally with the included microgloss abrasive liquid. Because the micromesh has a special cushioned cloth type backing it is reusable many times apparently

Here is the before and after, about 1 hours work between the 2 shots.
Those are deep scratches take it from me.

Im impressed :D

2016 Tiger Sport

akey

I can vouch for this stuff as well, we used to use it on aircraft (helicopter) perspex bubbles.

You need a little patience but if you are careful and follow the instructions its great stuff.

Geoff D

The older I get the faster I was...

Sin_Tiger

Do you know if you can get just the final polish separately and would there be any saving worth considering?

My Roadie screen is scratched all over from me using the wrong cloth, just millions of tiny scratches that end up looking like a haze, unsightly rather than anything else.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

EvilBetty

I had a 3M kit like this for polishing aluminum.  But instead of water you used WD-40!

Plastic backed sand (like) paper.  Never did wear it out after polishing an entire mountain bike frame.

In retrospect though I should have paid the $100 to have it done by a pro.  Took weeks and I got impatient.

Plastic though... will work a bit faster than aluminum.  :)

Wonder if that would work on Buell Blast body work?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Timbox2

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Do you know if you can get just the final polish separately and would there be any saving worth considering?

My Roadie screen is scratched all over from me using the wrong cloth, just millions of tiny scratches that end up looking like a haze, unsightly rather than anything else.

The place I bought the kit from only sells that kit, but below is the manufacturers website and microgloss is listed separately for sure.

According to the little instruction book as long as you cant feel the scratch with a finger nail, the microgloss should work, as long as its acrylic rather than polycarbonate( Like a helmet visor), apparently polycarbonate is almost impossible to "polish out" as its a soft plastic.

http://www.micro-surface.com/
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

I was afraid of that :)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Sin_Tiger

Thanks for the link Timbo, I shouldn't look at the prices on US sites when I know what is being charged in the UK  :roll:

Some very useful information on there, gives me a good feeling about a product when a maker recognises and is upfront about the limitations. I thought I read somewhere on their site that polycarbonate was on the doable list, maybe only for light scratches.

EB - The US price is so reasonable for the small bottles that it might be worth a try and look on the bright side, if it doesn't work I'm sure I would find a use for it elsewhere at sometime in the future.  

"Test on a small inconspicous area first"  :ImaPoser "Read the instruction manual fully before commencing" yup, I always do that  :?  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint