News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help! Tiger not turning on. Weird...

Started by ridin gaijin, March 27, 2010, 01:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

Rode it all last week. It has the Sasquatch mod and a new regulator and stator. The voltmeter shows the bike charging at around 14.6 volts when running at good rpms, and 12-13 at a stoplight. Fires up no problem...

...or used to. Went down to run an errand last night, key in the ignition, turned it, and nothing. No lights, no EFI whine, nothing. Voltmeter shows 12.5. All fuses, including the massive 30 amp in the Sasquatch fix, are good. WTF?

As always, any assistance greatly appreciated lads. Thanks!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

coachgeo

search in here for Kick stand safety switch... also if I recall right a clutch safety switch?  is your manual kill switch set correctly?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

ridin gaijin

Ehm...I'll have a look around; but if memory serves, the bike will still turn on when the kickstand is down. It just won't go. The kill switch I toggled off and on a few times. The clutch switch is new to me though, unless it has some function other than not letting the bike start if the clutch lever isn't pulled in? But we're not even making it to that point. No dash lights come on, no headlights, there is no power to anything.

Sin_Tiger

I wa going to suggest neutral switch but it sounds a bit deeper than that, time to get the meter out. How about the handle bar kill switch, I see you've toggle it but does the kill switch normally shut off everything or just the FI on the Girly?

Sorry not being much help not having a Girly myself, Bixxer Bob should be up in a few hrs and he's bound to have more helpfull suggestions.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Buffalo

Been a while since I have been into mine, but I recall a big fuse clipped to the left outside of the battery box. It is kind of hidden so you have to look for it. I believe it is a main fuse for the ignition. Don't know if the Sasquach fix moves or removes it. Worth a look, good luck.
\'05 Tiger 955i
74 Suzuki GT550

Bixxer Bob

Buffalo is right, if you've lost all electrics, pretty sure you'll find you've blown the main fuse attached to the left side of the battery box, it's the only one that takes everything down.

Once you've checked it, you need to have a think about what happened prior to it blowing, you'll have a serious short somewhere to take it down.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!  

Just a thought  - are your battery terminals tight?  I had this happen once outside my local dealer after working on the old girl.  I'd done the battery bolts up finger tight but was in a hurry and forgot to tighten them before putting the seat back on.  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ridin gaijin

Main fuse is fine, all fuses fine. I guess it's something in the ignition.

I'm totally demoralized about this. After all the work I've done on the bike over the past year, being in these stupid DC apartments with no room and no tools. I just don't want to face taking the tank off and tearing up the front end, again, and the whole buying of tools to take out the shear bolts etc. I just don't have the time and the brain energy to come home at night and mess with it. I'm sort of exhausted of working on the thing and wish I could just ride it. I wish things would stop going wrong for about two months in a row sometime. If someone wants it they can have it [edited--bike now for sale in proper forum].

Geoff D

sounds like a kill switch problem......
The older I get the faster I was...

Bixxer Bob

Geof,

Kill switch takes out ign, fuel pump and dash lights, but not the head and tail lights, they stay on. At least they do on mine!!!

RG, does the park light come on when you turn the ign key all the way off? That'd prove you have volts at the switch and the problem is in the switch somewhere.

I'd give the ign switch a good squirt of contact cleaner and work it in a with a few throws (might be an idea to disconnect the battery to save shocking your ECU etc) then have another try.  Don't lose heart, you're probably just over tired.

If nothing comes of that, check the ign switch loom plug.  You should have power at the brown lead with the ign off; power on the blue/yellow and green with ign on.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Could it possibly be the battery??,
i know you say its showing 12.5 volts under load it will be less,maybe you can try and jump start it from a car,or maybe you have pulled a plug somewhere,i hope its somthing simple and gets sorted asap
chin up mate
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

12.5 volts is enough to light the dash lights etc so probably have to disagree there CH, although - as I said earlier - I once forgot to do up my battery terminals and that had the same "all out" effect.

RG sounds so down about it I wish I was close enough to help.   :roll:

Geoff D

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Kill switch takes out ign, fuel pump and dash lights, but not the head and tail lights, they stay on. At least they do on mine!!!

Of course, you're right ... doh  :oops:  :roll:

Geoff D

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"RG sounds so down about it I wish I was close enough to help.   :roll:

Me too  :(

Mustang

RG
you have done some electrical mods over the winter months ,?

go back and check them all for a short
check your HID light install check the regulator you moved and used stainless zip ties on  you have a dead short somewhere , even though the battery shows good on a voltmeter .

Last week on my brothers truck , we came home from the gun shop to my house and all was fine .
when he went to leave the truck had nothing no lights no click no nothing
no blown fuses or anything
we pawed around and found that the battery isolator the rv place put on a few years back had fallen out of its mount and was dead shorted to the chassis
fixed that and all was good

MY point is go back and check your electrical mods you have done
somewhere you will find a short

oxnsox

Or an Open circuit.

Based on what you've said... it was all running fine one day and dead the next?  
Sounds like a wire has come loose or disconnected, maybe from a crimp fitting. Loosing the neg will kill everything.  

You have to start from the battery and work away from there. Sounds like you fitted a voltmeter so the numbers you read are on that? And it's still reading but power ain't going anywhere else?
Take the seat off and connect your multimeter to the battery, leave it connected and see if the voltage changes when turn on the ignition or operate the kill switch, headlight... anything.

Did you check the main fuse with the multimeter or just a visual check?

Leave the neg lead of meter connected to the battery and see if you can find +12volts anywhere at the front end of the bike?  If you can then try leaving the +ve lead on the battery to see if you can find -ve at the sharp end.

If it was running on day and wouldn't turn over the next after simply parking her up... it should be a findable fixable fault.....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~