News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help! Tiger not turning on. Weird...

Started by ridin gaijin, March 27, 2010, 01:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

If it was a short you'd know about it - the wiring would get hot and fuse(s) would definitely blow.

As Oxnsox says, the only way is to be systematic and trace the system through. As you seem to have no power anywhere, check that you have a voltage arriving at the fuse box from the main fuse. If so, you need to trace further, checking for a voltage at each connection. Sooner or later you'll find it. You do have a wiring diagram don't you?

At least it's completely dead which paradoxically makes it easier. The worst electrical problems to find are the intermittent ones which "fix" themselves when you're at home in the garage then reappear when it's raining and dark, and you're tired and cold and have 100 miles to go.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"If it was a short you'd know about it - the wiring would get hot and fuse(s) would definitely blow.

not always true
if the short is on the unfused side  I have seen batterys just take the abuse and there is sometimes no indication of anything wrong other than the bike won't start
I worked on a thunderbird one time that would intermittently quit electrically
turn the key nothing
after many hours of tracing all the circuits the problem turned out to be the 30 amp main fuse that looked fine and check fine with ohm meter it was sometimes losing continuity
replaced the fuse and that bike never had another electrical issue

machine electrickery sometimes is weird

ridin gaijin

Thanks so much everyone. I was out yesterday on a date and then this morning started going through all your helpful suggestions.

It's something with the kill switch.

I started at the battery and tested my Sasquatch work. Then went to the front of the bike to try to find some power there per oxnsox's idea. Nothing...until wrestling the steering head around to try to get at a batch of wires...and presto, the headlights turn themselves on! I checked and the taillight was on too. A bit more jiggling and the Tiger was able to start.

The bad news is the next step, which I believe to be disassembling the front fairing etc. to get at the kill switch wiring. I started on this before realizing I didn't have the right size hex wrench to take off the windscreen; it was upstairs in my larger toolbox.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Interlude ~

In college I majored in Japanese Studies, including a pretty epic year spent touring Japan by motorcycle, and at some point over the years acquired a very nice Japanese sword, a katana, from the Edo period (made sometime 1603 - 1868). It was trim and beautiful, with a lovely cloud pattern to the temper of the blade. I trucked it around over the years as I moved about the country, but over the years it also became apparent that the sword needed a good polishing. To have this done correctly can cost hundreds of dollars per inch. I realized that the sword needed something I wasn't able to provide, and I wound up selling it to a collector in Germany. I choose to believe he has seen to it properly over the years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ . ~

It's not fun anymore. Each fix should be like solving a puzzle, not winning a fight (while waiting for the next shoe to drop). I need a garage with good light and a power outlet where my tools are handy, not three floors up and down, and where I can leave the bike disassembled without worrying about strangers walking past and seeing all my tools laid out. This isn't what's best for me or for the Tiger. It's not fun and good anymore--I mean, it's good when I'm riding, it always is, but here in DC and with this job and limited facilities, I'm just not in the place where I need to be in order to take care of it. Time to pass it on to someone else.

I'm going to write as honest a description as I can and post the bike for sale over in the appropriate forum. This Tiger really does have a lot going for it, some neat mods and expensive extras, and the challenges I've faced can definitely be overcome by a patient and savvy wrencher with the right workshop.  It'll go to the highest offer. You guys are terrific. Thank you.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

oxnsox

RG...  I understand where you're at. Making the best choices for you is important.... well done.

If you do get to take the fairing off, take the time to check all the connectors. It maybe that one has simply come loose and is not making good reliable contact. Hopefully you'll find that as your 'simple' fix to keep the Girly going till she finds her new home.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

akey

My mate had something like this on his speed triple, every time he turned the bars to the right (slow speed manouvres) the whole bike would die.

have a look where the ingition wires go down by the headstock and see if you have a wire worn through.

Mark

delecti

the problem may well be that the tiger has an alarm out let fitted to the bike it is in under the duck tail in front of the tail light. it has a connector that fits into it and some loop wires in the connector as there is no alarm. a mate had it come apart on him(never done up held together with electrical grease) and it came unclipped he clipped it up and bobs your uncle.

apparently it happen a bit in the past.

Mark
06 silver tiger
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?