News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

headlights for european tigers

Started by rybes, March 27, 2010, 10:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

evenin :D i wonder if anyone can help me ? when ive finished rebuildin me tiger, its first trip will be 3000 miles throo europe. i figure to get headlights for europe will be easier than uk lights with lekky tape. anyone know where i can get some from ?

thanks all :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

chairhead

Hmm,
i do belive that the tape will be alot cheaper and easier,buying a set of lights just to do 3000kms is a nonsense,how much night riding will you be doing,surley the money would be better spent on other things,i travel to Europe 4-5 times a year and my UK lights(sans tape) are fine,come to think of it so are my mates lights who travel with me.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

rybes

for travellin and visitin thas fine. thing is ill be movin to denmark sometime in the summer so im gunna need em anyway for their roads so its all good :D p.s. anyone know how to import bikes to denmark ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

Quote from: "rybes"p.s. anyone know how to import bikes to denmark ?

theres an English bloke living in Denmark  on another forum I frequent..I'll ask him if you like as he imported a couple of Guzzis from here recently...

rf9rider

Quote from: "NeilD"

theres an English bloke living in Denmark  on another forum I frequent..I'll ask him if you like as he imported a couple of Guzzis from here recently...

I know an English bloke living in Denmark on another forum i use, maybe its the same one?  :lol:
YZF forum by any chance?

Sin_Tiger

I know the Steamer's units are not very common, they didn't even use them on other models of the same vintage as I enquired with Sprint Manufacturing, so LHD units are unlikely to be easily available, might be worth asking on one of the German forums, lot of Steamers there.

I also spent some time trying to find more modern reflector / lens combinations to get better output with my friendly local Hella agent, who is rarely stuck for a solution, he couldn't come up with a comaparable unit even in RHD format.

My suggestion is try to get the best out of your current setup and use the tape. I am going to do a write up on improving the light output with comparisons for posting up eventually but can I offer the following suggestions as this is the route I will take.

1) Clean the internals of the lens / reflector with a lint free cloth and IPA or similar. I've done this already and was amazed at the muck that came off, see below.
2) Uprate the cable from the relay to the lamps.
3) Fit higher output, not wattage, lamps. My Hella agent / motor factor again recommends Osram Bilux H4 Night Breaker 12V 60/55W P43t 64193NBR 472NBR, I managed to get a set of two at less than 15 quid with trade discount. He reckons these are currently the best available, he sells at least four other brands, to the trade and all the local commercial drivers who have been very positive about the improvement. I have only done a quick garage test comparing it to the last top make "brightest" that I bought. Night and Day, pun intended.

One caveat, my experience of several makes of these high output lights is that they don't last as long, which is not surprising, so I would suggest carrying at least one spare H4 lamp.

For cornering illumination I would suggest fitting a set of Hella Micro DE's, they give a very wide flat topped output that, even with the standard lamps, lights up road verges and surrounding vegetation very well without inconveniencing oncoming traffic. They are quite reasonably priced to, normally around 50 quid. A guy in our local Vara group that took my advice and then shot me down at one meet claiming they were crap, until I pointed out he had mounted 90 degrees off the vertical getting a pencil beam, he hasn't spoken much to me since and the other guys still smile every time he switches them on now that they are properly mounted  :oops:

I personally prefer to have better wide close range illumination than worry about mega range driving lamps, the standard high beam is good enough.

Just be thankful you don't have a Roadie with a single really crap dip  :shock:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oxnsox

Rybes, I had the same but opposite requirements for my Girly a few years back after I brought it back with me from Europe (Dips to right) to NZ (Dips to left).

I felt the cost of buying a set of new lenses was excessive so bought just one (for me it was the left, but for you it would be the right). I then swapped the relays so that Low-Beam used only the left headlight.  It was the simplest solution that enabled it to pass the requisite Transport agency tests.

Haven't done anything else to improve light output as haven't use the Girl at night for more than commuting distances.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Calne

I have helped ship a fireblade out to Denmark for a friend but he handled all the admin side.  I'll drop him an email and see if he can explain what needs doing.

Expect some sort of import tax...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

Quote from: "rf9rider"I know an English bloke living in Denmark on another forum i use, maybe its the same one?  :lol:
YZF forum by any chance?

no Guzzi forum..  :D  :wink:

I'll PM you what he's just sent me..

Bixxer Bob

Many many years ago I was posted to Germany and had to find a set of LH lights for my car, which was an Austin Princess ( :oops: I know, but with 2 small kids I was borassic in those days) with the trapeziodal headlights.  I thought I'd have to pay more than the car was worth, but -like has already been suggested here - I found a local German breaker had a set for peanuts.  One man's gravel is another man's gold or something like that...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...