News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Odessey batteries

Started by Sasquatch, April 03, 2010, 05:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Anyone ever install an odessey battery in a Girly?  If so, which one did you use?

EvilBetty

The Tiger's charging system seems to be very rough on batteries.  Better to use a cheaper battery and change it every couple of years IMO.

It's not like our Buell.  I just changed a 10 year old AGM battery out if it last fall.

That said, this is the battery Odyssey recommends...
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/DekaETX14.htm
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Timbox2

I have it on very good authority that there isnt an odyssey battery that will fit, well not in the UK anyway
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Timbox2"I have it on very good authority that there isnt an odyssey battery that will fit, well not in the UK anyway

Sadly without going into a long winded story the man is correct,recently i did get a 535 jammed in,but it was such a hassle,the only real option would be to mock up new battery box,i have an extensive stock of Odysseys so it's a little frustrating :evil:

Sasquatch

Sounds good.  Another cheap battery it is.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Sounds good.  Another cheap battery it is.

Which is what i had to do,great!!! when you've got a stock of Odyssey's :(

Sin_Tiger

Any of those fit a Roadie  :lol:  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

In fairness i don't know,the problem with Odyssey they don't make batteries for motorcycles,they make batteries and some fit motorcyles!!

You've only got 310/535/545/680

I can't get one thats fits my K BM either :evil:

delecti

if there isn't an odessey battery to fit is there a recommended gel battery that anyone has tried? the original has 40,000km on it an 3.5 years old and starts and runs everything as good as the first day when i picked it up brand new! but if it died it would be handy to know.:wink:

Mark
06 silver tiger
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

iansoady

I have a Westco AGM on my 04 which I bought from Tayna a couple of years ago. It has a high CCA, seems to hold its charge well and so far I'm happy with it.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

EvilBetty

I put a PowerStar* AGM battery in the Tiger last go round.  Can't beat the price.

http://www.powerstarsla.com/pm121276.html

I put it in last summer so no time trial on it yet.  I wanted to put one in the Buell too but Patty thought if the OEM Harley battery (probably made by PowerStar  :) ) lasted 10 years, a new one was worth $140 from HD  :shock:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Chris Canning

I went completely the other way and put a cheap Varta battery on,when you have somthing like an 1100s and it doesn't start an Odyssey is a god send,the Tiger battery can be accessed in seconds.

delecti

Thanks guys,  the powerstar looks good all that increase in cold crank amps really get the nerves tingling.

well you know what i mean.  :)

Mark,
06 Silver tiger
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Sasquatch

I found a US made Deka battery that tested at 360 cca (spec is 200).  Problem is that the battery was not the problem.  I am having a slow crank issue on my 01.  Spins fast when warm, slow, like half dead battery slow, when cold.

Ran a jumper cable from the battery to the starter to bypass all the wiring and it still cranked slow.  It is either my starter getting weak or something internal to the engine.  I know I have the soft intake valves issue, but even if the clearances went down to near zero it would still spin at the same speed.

Mustang

it would actually spin faster if your valves were at zero clearance as you wouldn't have compression to deal with .......

could it be that the starter sprag clutch is going or the starter motor itself
you can ohm the windings in the starter motor which will tell you if you have a set of windings that are kaput . but other than that electric motors don't get weak . if it spins good warm my bet is sprag clutch is slipping