News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help!!!

Started by ramseybella, April 04, 2010, 02:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramseybella

Last couple times I started my 1998 Tiger I had to ride the starter till it started (NOT A GOOD THING TO DO I know).

Once it started and 15 Minutes to warm up it ran just fine like a bull out of the shoot, now today 70 degrees out suns out Birds chirping air is just right I want to roll and it won't fire up at all it will turnover no problem but nothing seems to ignite fresh tank of gas from last weekend!!
After melting two fearing nuts out of the tank
 (Thanks guys for showing me the trick) I looked over the maze of frame wire and hoses and that's how far I got pulled the plug/coil wires to see if any faulty wires but don't know how to check the (original coils and wires).

I didn't touch the Carbs or pull the air box I just figure I would haul it to PJ's Triumph in Albuquerque and get bent over the Cycle lift along with this Walrus I own, I know it most likely something stupid but it has me stumped Love this bike when it runs but man I am astounded at the design of this bike, nothing seems mechanic friendly at all!!

Any help will help!!

Pete

Nick Calne

Have you tried the obvious..... these ones always get me...

Check the engine kill switch is in the right position.

Have a look at the dash lights, if they light when you turn the key there is some charge in the battery.  If not maybe a bad battery.

You been working on the bike?  Perhaps the battery leads are not connected?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

sounds like whatever was causing the difficult starting has now given up completley.. ??

if its not starting at all l you can do check you have the basics... fuel, spark and air..

ramseybella

Quote from: "NeilD"sounds like whatever was causing the difficult starting has now given up completley.. ??

if its not starting at all l you can do check you have the basics... fuel, spark and air..

Around 7:00 pm it started up and was running but idle screw had to be turned up to keep it at normal idel, then as it warmed up I had to turn the idel down, the choke does not seem to do this step as it should!! :evil:

Took it for an 80 mile spin after it warmed up turned it off for 5 min's and it started up with no problem, I am sure today it will act up again?

Mustang

have you checked the valve clearances , that is the first place to start ....
that is the very symptom for valves that are not shutting all the way crank forever and no joy .

if the valves check out in spec , intakes especially
intakes .10-.15 mm ( .004- .006 inch)
exhausts .15-.20 mm (.006-.008 inch)

move on to the coils with a plug attached to the plug lead and grounded to the engine see if there is a spark on each of the coils , simple test to verify spark ........
if yes move onto the carbs
if no check the resistance with ohm meter  they should be .6 ohm.... even though they can still be bad and ohm fine  :shock:

carbs if they get dirty on the pilot jets the bike will run bad as you are usually on the pilot circuits 90 % of the time

My bet is you have some intake valves with zero clearance .

ramseybella

I have a local shop that works on BMW's and Triumphs, the problem is I don't have the location, or the time to do major stuff, but thanks for the help that makes sense on the valves sounds like it is not giving time to build up pressure..
Still going to be $$$ spent to get her done.
Breaks, plugs, filters, oil change and chains I can do but don't have time space or knowledge to perform valves..

I will update when it gets completed..

Thanks again.
. :oops:

Mustang

If you already have the tank pulled you can have the valve cover off in ten minutes and valves checked .............then you will know if you need a shim job or not
it's easy to check the valves
see this post
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5386

it's not that hard to do yourself

a dealer is gonna get like $400 +++ to do it .

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"If you already have the tank pulled you can have the valve cover off in ten minutes and valves checked .............then you will know if you need a shim job or not
it's easy to check the valves
see this post
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5386

it's not that hard to do yourself

a dealer is gonna get like $400 +++ to do it .

Well just to let you know  PJ's Triumph in Albuquerque are not professionals, they won't work on Triumphs over 10 years old wanted to charge me $1.100 to clean the Carb's and that was a maybe another place called the accessory Pit wanted to charge me $85.00 a valve.
I know a guy I work with Ex Marine Helicopter engine mechanic that builds motors for fun on the weekend will help me do the job..
I just need to buy Carb parts Any rebuild kits for sale also mustang how much is the valve tool you have?

Hope is not lost thanks again guys..

Mustang

QuoteOnce it started and 15 Minutes to warm up it ran just fine like a bull out of the shoot, now today 70 degrees out suns out Birds chirping air is just right I want to roll and it won't fire up at all it will turnover no problem but nothing seems to ignite fresh tank of gas from last weekend!!

this tells me that your carbs are fine and the valves are suspect .....intakes with no clearance

The keihin carbs are simple and really need nothing for parts ,there isn't anything in them that wears out really .

clean the pilot jets and main jets and check to make sure the slide is not worn out (some wear marks on it are normal don't worry ) if they are worn out beyond service they will be distorted and obvious that they are screwed . I doubt they are
and the rubber diaphrams that are molded to the slides need to be in good condition no rips tears or holes and not stretched out either
but other than that there isn't much else .

take the pilot jets out and verify that they are indeed open by looking thru them when held up to a light source.
I bet there is nothing wrong with the carbs .

you don't need a tool to check the valves other than a feeler gauge .

when you pull that valve cover my bet is you are going to find intake valves that have zero clearance , if you cant spin the shim bucket by hand when the cam lobe (the pointy end ) is off the bucket and shim and your smallest feeler won't pass under it you have no clearance

if most of your intakes are like this it will explain the hard starting problems you are having especially when cold .

the tool works good for doing the shim replacements but if you have a lot of shims to replace just pull the cams it is faster . the shim tool is less invasive (meaning you don't have to take anything apart )

And your dealer is not unusual ........most won't touch anything over10 years old , Hondas , yamahas etc etc , it's not just a triumph thing
they want you to buy a new bike from them .

if you decide you want a shim tool just click the www button at the bottom of my post

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"
QuoteOnce it started and 15 Minutes to warm up it ran just fine like a bull out of the shoot, now today 70 degrees out suns out Birds chirping air is just right I want to roll and it won't fire up at all it will turnover no problem but nothing seems to ignite fresh tank of gas from last weekend!!

this tells me that your carbs are fine and the valves are suspect .....intakes with no clearance

The keihin carbs are simple and really need nothing for parts ,there isn't anything in them that wears out really .

clean the pilot jets and main jets and check to make sure the slide is not worn out (some wear marks on it are normal don't worry ) if they are worn out beyond service they will be distorted and obvious that they are screwed . I doubt they are
and the rubber diaphrams that are molded to the slides need to be in good condition no rips tears or holes and not stretched out either

take the pilot jets out and verify that they are indeed open by looking thru them when held up to a light source.

when you pull that valve cover my bet is you are going to find intake valves that have zero clearance , if you cant spin the shim bucket by hand when the cam lobe (the pointy end ) is off the bucket and shim and your smallest feeler won't pass under it you have no clearance

if most of your intakes are like this it will explain the hard starting problems you are having especially when cold .

the tool works good for doing the shim replacements but if you have a lot of shims to replace just pull the cams it is faster . the shim tool is less invasive (meaning you don't have to take anything apart )

And your dealer is not unusual ........most won't touch anything over10 years old , Hondas , yamahas etc etc , it's not just a triumph thing

if you decide you want a shim tool just click the www button at the bottom of my post

Mustang,

You're like the Dr Phil of the Tiger forum thanks for easing my worries, this does not seem as hard as it looks I have just been getting frustrated winter is over and time to see the west and having a lame horse has been killing me!!

As far as Triumph wanting me to trade the old Walrus in, that was mentioned in the conversation!! :x

Thanks I will let you know how thing turn out will be the next two three weeks.

What size Plug socket does the spark plugs?

Mustang

Its an 18mm I have found that the one in the toolkit is about the only one that likes to go down the hole

if you dont have one you need to probably grind a socket to fit in the hole

Bixxer Bob

I'm not sure if Steamers are the same, but I thought for 3 months that the previous owner must have lost the toolkit on my Girly..... then I found it, in it's proper place, strapped in a recess under the seat  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ramseybella

Quote from: "ramseybella"
Quote from: "Mustang"

Mustang,

You're like the Dr Phil of the Tiger forum thanks for easing my worries, this does not seem as hard as it looks I have just been getting frustrated winter is over and time to see the west and having a lame horse has been killing me!!

As far as Triumph wanting me to trade the old Walrus in, that was mentioned in the conversation!! :x

Thanks I will let you know how thing turn out will be the next two three weeks.

What size Plug socket does the spark plugs?

As you stated all the intakes but one are .002 one is unknown but under .002 or less at this time (#3 outside) don't have a feeler gage under .002. The exhausts are around .008 one is well within spec!!!  

Looks like Cam pulling time tomorrow (maybe valve job HOPE NOT!!)   :evil:

Plugs looked a little dark but not burnt or crumbed up with oil in short good shape, inside motor is clean you can eat off it.

How can something run so well after warm up have such a FUBAR Valve Clearance?

ramseybella

Well we have clearance!!

Left the exhaust valves alone at.008 dropped 240's in the intake unknowns and one was at .005 (GOOD) and the other was over .006, removed the one 240 and installed a 245 now it's at a tight .002 .003 won't fit a 243 would work but in the real world that shim will need to be milled from the 245..
What should I stay with; all the others are within specs? :?

Mustang

go with the .006 clearance on the 240 shim ...............