News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by moose, April 05, 2010, 02:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Hi All

I'm totaly new to the biking world, infact my Tiger is my first bike after passing my DAS and so far im LOVING it.

I bought a used 2000 Black Tiger which is in need for new tyres, I've been looking round and saw the big thread on tyres (the sticky) but wondering what are the disadvantages of using Dual Purpose tyres on the road.  I'm never going to be using my bike off road, so im confused if I should go pure road tyres or keep the bike as it should be and get dual purpose tyres.

The road tyres I've seen does not seem to have so much tread on them to displace water (living in the UK) when compared to dual tyres.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Rob

outrunner

If you had no issues and are happy with the tyres that were on the bike when you got it then why not go for the same? At least you know how the bike feels with them. I think that the Tiger just does not look right with pure road tyres fitted. I am now on my third set of Conti Trail Attack tyres which to be honest are just a slightly chunkier looking Road Attack and I love them. :D

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

cbxtc6

I've found I get much higher mileage with the 'dual purpose' tires, such as the Metzler Tourance, as compared to 'pure' street tires.  I only got ~4-5k miles from a street tire, vs 10-12k on the Tourance.
That's been my experience.  Oh, and much less hydroplaning on wet roads too!!

Timbox2

My Tiger came with Tourances but when I came to change them a few weeks back I also went for the Conti Trail Attacks and I am very pleased with them, I think I would agree with a test I read that If I thought I was going to be riding in rain a lot, I would go with the tourances, but there isnt much in it, and in the dry the contis are fantastic and still pretty good in the wet.

cbxtc6: You are doing well, the only negative the tourances got in the test I read was that they wore out too quickly, they only managed around 5000km!!! Mind you I think they were ragging them.
2016 Tiger Sport

tett

If you are not planning on doing trails or fire roads and are planning to stick to tarmac then the popular choice is to stick with stock Michelin Anakee tires.  These are great long lasting tires which are nice and quiet on the road and perform very well in all kinds of conditions.  They do very well on wet pavement.  Read reviews from various sites and you will see that these always come out at or near the top.

I am planning to do gravel and dirt roads along with rougher access roads and so have just bought a set of Heidenau K60's.  Looking forward to trying these out.  Also very popular for rougher roads etc. are the Conti TKC80's.  These are a very popular semi knobby tire.

Cheers!

tett

Quote from: "moose"Hi All

I'm totaly new to the biking world, infact my Tiger is my first bike after passing my DAS and so far im LOVING it.

I bought a used 2000 Black Tiger which is in need for new tyres, I've been looking round and saw the big thread on tyres (the sticky) but wondering what are the disadvantages of using Dual Purpose tyres on the road.  I'm never going to be using my bike off road, so im confused if I should go pure road tyres or keep the bike as it should be and get dual purpose tyres.

The road tyres I've seen does not seem to have so much tread on them to displace water (living in the UK) when compared to dual tyres.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Rob
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

cosmo

+1 on the Anakees. I've near 15,000 on mine, and not needing new just yet. I do ride like an old guy (I am), but still...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

oxnsox

Seems in the States the standard tire fit was an Anakee and in Europe the standard tyre fit was a Tourance...  Am I right in this??

My Girly came with what I believed were originals fits (Tourances). Am now halfway thru a pair of Trail Attacks.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

I'm working my way through a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trails.

Chunky like Anakees, but much sharper steering and phenominal grip.  I spent the whole of last summer never thinking for a second "Is it gonna grip" like I often do on the Blackbird.  Very impressed with them.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "oxnsox"Seems in the States the standard tire fit was an Anakee and in Europe the standard tyre fit was a Tourance...  Am I right in this??

My Girly came with what I believed were originals fits (Tourances). Am now halfway thru a pair of Trail Attacks.
The steamers in the USA came with Michelin T-66's as standard OEM tire .......remember those .
I think (but not sure) the first Girly bikes in US (99-2000 ) were still wearing t-66's and then the girlies got tourances which by now everyone was running on a tiger as replacements anyway .
If the girlies went to Michelin Anakees it was on the later 2005-06 girlies .

moose

Thanks for all the quick replies, I've learnt so much just browsing around this forum, its AWESOME  :D

The bike came with very worn Tourance and as this is my first "jaunt" into motorcycle riding I have nothing to compare them to.  I have been having a look around and reading reviews and it seems that the Anakee's comes highly regarded.  I think as I have only had the bike for a couple of months I will go for them and use them as my base for future experiments.  My main criteria is grip wet and dry plus high mileage, two things I know dont go hand in hand.  But it seems that the Anakee's are a good all rounder

Thanks Again

AK Tiger

Don't forget about the Sinko E705 Trail Master.  I was absolutely shocked by how good they are.  I have about 4200 miles on mine and remain impressed.  Honestly, the fact that they are about 1/2 the price of the Metzlers do not factor into their evaluation.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

Mustang

I have Shinko 705's mounted up on all three steamers and one on the hack too !
Tigger 2 is wearing a dunlop D616 on the rear only because Shinko doesn't have a 705 in a 180/17 for my trophy wheel
The set on 1 bike has over 8000 miles on them and very little wear on the front.......... the rear is going to see 10 k easy

Sin_Tiger

+1 on the Anakee's, 20,000 km (this on a Vara which is big fatgirl compared to the Girly) and getting near changing, good in the wet, the front is starting to "cup", just ordered a set of Anakee 2's  

Love to try the Shinko's but the local Dist is not brining in the full range  :cry:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

moose

Im very interested in trying these Shinko tires, but finding it hard to find a dealer in the UK, but it looks I could get them shipped from the US and still works out a little cheaper if not the same as a pair of the Anakee's or Tourance.

Anyone know any good stores online to get these from?  :)

Mustang

They are very hard to find right now in Tiger sizes ........once the BMW crowd showed up .

There is rumors that the 150/17 and 110/19 are going to be replaced with a radial version in June  although  at a much increased cost .
They will no longer be the bargain that they are the bias plys if you can find tiger sizes are about 110 dollars front and rear shipped to your door (US address)
The new Radial version will be more like $220 a set according to Western Power Sports
****info gotten from the thread on ADVRIDER for the shinkos******