News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lights on but no one at home...

Started by KiwiTIGERnOZ, April 10, 2010, 02:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Pulled the tank out to replace fuel couplings and fuel filter. Charged the battery, cleaned all connections etc.

Key in, dash lights on, fuel pump spun up....moment of truth....starter spins....no brrromm broom!!??   :?

Bike has been off road for about 3 wks while I waited for parts from US - Australia.

Yes there's petrol in the tank.

Please help.

Matty
AKA KiwiTigernOZ :wink:
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

JasonS

Quote from: "KiwiTIGERnOZ"Pulled the tank out to replace fuel couplings and fuel filter. Charged the battery, cleaned all connections etc.

Key in, dash lights on, fuel pump spun up....moment of truth....starter spins....no brrromm broom!!??   :?

Bike has been off road for about 3 wks while I waited for parts from US - Australia.

Yes there's petrol in the tank.

Please help.

Matty
AKA KiwiTigernOZ :wink:

since you had the tank off...try repowering the bike a few times in a row... IE trun on, let fuel pump do its thing, turn off and repeat. Then crank fro a while... it may just not be getting fuel.. or somehow you didn't get the fuel connectors reattached right???  just making guesses...

gooruck!
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Mustang

WELCOME to the site

check the stickys at the top of each forum they are full of information for the various tigers and topics

see this thread here tank removal

perhaps you have  a vent line or fuel line hooked up backwards

something to check seeing how you had the tank off for awhile ..............

Bixxer Bob

To eliminate the possible vent line mix up just open the filler cap.  If there's a slight noise of a vacuum being filled as you do that, there's your problem, although it should have run for a few minutes to cause the vacuum before cutting out if this really is the problem.  Next try to start her with the filler cap undone.  If she runs that confirms it.

There's really nothing else tank related to cause this because if the pump winds up and then cuts out that proves the connectors are good and the fuel line is pressurising properly (if it wasn't you'd soon spot the fuel leak anyway).  Any other mistakes would throw up an ECU fault but it would still start.

Oh, and the fuel couplings probably have one-way valves in them.  you did install them the right way round, eh?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Thanks for the help guys. Man am I glad I found this site!
I've got the MIL illuminated (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). As I don't think the shop will let me borrow their diagnostic tool then I may have to buy my own.  I'll have a listen with the petrol cap open.
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Oh, and the fuel couplings probably have one-way valves in them.  you did install them the right way round, eh?

They don't have one-way valves just shut-offs (that is, apart from the Triumph replacement metal couplings that apparently don't have them so piss fuel everywhere when you take them off).

I can confirm they can go on either way round as I've had them both ways on mine (04) with no problems.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

iansoady

Just a couple of (unlikely) possibilities:

1. I once tried vainly to start mine until I realised it was in gear with the side stand down. It'll turn over with the clutch pulled in (which of course you always need to do) but won't fire.

2. Your bike may have a tip-over switch (under the seat). This may have been tripped.

3. Kill switch?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

TheMule

Quote from: "iansoady"3. Kill switch?

Pulled this one myself on a recent ride with others. Having never used the kill switch I didn't think of looking there when the bike wouldn't start. I must have brushed the switch while getting off the bike. Felt like a fool when a guy came over and pushed the switch and the old girl fired right up....
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

JasonS

.. just a note that later model 955 Tigers only have one fuel connector... dam hard to get that one wrong... lol
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Timbox2

Quote from: "iansoady"Just a couple of (unlikely) possibilities:

1. I once tried vainly to start mine until I realised it was in gear with the side stand down. It'll turn over with the clutch pulled in (which of course you always need to do) but won't fire.

Yep, I'll admit to flattening the battery on mine before I twigged that one, not long after I bought her
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

Actually the CPC fittings are sold either with valves that close when you disconnect the fittings, or without them.  I have hooked up my fittings backwards before and the bike ran fine till I took the tank off the next time and discovered the problem.  :shock:

The vent hoses on the other hand are different.  one has a back flow valve, and the other one is straight tube.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

iansoady

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Actually the CPC fittings are sold either with valves that close when you disconnect the fittings, or without them.  

True, but I understand the ones Triumph provide for the recall don't have the valves.

QuoteThe vent hoses on the other hand are different.  one has a back flow valve, and the other one is straight tube.

Not all - mine doesn't.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

EvilBetty

Correct, the Triumph metal replacement male fittings are not valved.

The valve in the overflow / vent tube apparently is a rollover valve on newer Girlies.

ROLL OVER VALVE - US & CA ONLY SERIAL NUMBER 260568 AND HIGHER
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

iansoady

I think "US & CA ONLY" may give us a clue........
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Robbie

Quote from: "iansoady"I think "US & CA ONLY" may give us a clue........

Mine has one in the vent line. black cylinder 2" long pipe in at top out at bottom

without it a lot of juice will spill out of that tube when the tiger takes a nap
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger