News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lights on but no one at home...

Started by KiwiTIGERnOZ, April 10, 2010, 02:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

KiwiTIGERnOZ

OK! plug in the OBDII into bike and USB to my laptop. Freeware program installed and run "Scantool". DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) showing on ECM:

P0230 = Fuel Pump Primary Circuit
P0463 = Fuel Level "A" Sensor High
P1231 = Open cct or short cct to earth
P1611 = Low level fuel indicator lamp short cct to earth / open cct

Ok so found that for some reason there was a melt down in wires on the plastic connector from the alternator to the rectifier - nasty. Changed that, re-run OBDII no P1611, other codes still apparent.

I have 12V on fuel pump plug when IGN is on and it spins up to pressurise to 3bar (guessing that's the pressure without a guage).

Trying to trouble shoot with reference to the service manual, it's really difficult to trace wires for continuity with-out pulling apart the wiring loom??

I've made sure that the metal fuel couplings are not blocked by depressing the valves inside and on the plugs - petrol is expelled.

Any ideas PLEASE!!!
 :?
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

iansoady

From the Tiger manual:

P0230 = Fuel Pump Relay Fault
P0463 = Fuel Sensor High Input
P1231 = Fuel Pump Relay Open Circuit
P1611 = Low level fuel indicator lamp short cct to earth / open cct

I'd ignore the fuel level ones. However, the fuel pump ones will stop it starting. Are these stored DTCs or current ones?

Most of the bits & pieces are permanently live (eg the injectors) and the earth is switched by the ECU. A cursory look at the circuit diagram indicates the same is true of the fuel pump, so merely seeing a voltage at it won't tell you anything useful.

I suppose you could check whether the pump is running by detaching the top (return) connector from the tank and see whether fuel is pumped through but I would be very very careful about doing this. In fact personally I wouldn't.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Thanks Ian,
Yes DTCs are new not stored. I cleared them and they came up again.
The service manual warns not to disconnect any fuel lines while in operation - I will heed this advice, don't need anymore problems.
Also took the RH side of the fuel line, there's a big o-ring sealing it in. Checked that there were no blockages. Checked all the fuel hoses for blockage.
Is there any chance of air bubble blockages?

The bike doesn't even seem to gurgle when I turn it over, can smell fuel from exhaust pipe.
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

Bixxer Bob

Just had a look  at my Haynes book of lies wiring diagrams, and all the injected Tigers, with or without fuel pump relays, have supplies connecting to the alarm connector block - a well known source of electrical gremlins.  I'd check you've not got any corrosion in that area, it's under the tail cover.

Have you checked that the relay hasn't given up on you?  Put 12v across pins 4 and 6 and it should audibly click and close the circuit across pins 1 and 8 (don't ask me why they aren't just labelled 1,2,3 and 4)...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KiwiTIGERnOZ

cheers bixxer bob. I've checked the alarm unit and all seems ok. I've been studying my wiring schematic aswell. Bike has been off the road since a few weeks before Easter!
No relay on my Girly for fuel pump. Could it be to do with the fuel pressure regulator? I've pulled the tank out again and it's getting de-moralising.  :(

Bixxer Bob

I just re-read the thread and noticed that you've checked the pump works and that you can smell fuel in the exhaust, so we can assume the fuel is getting through.

Have you checked your plugs are sparking? I'm assuming you've not disturbed them...... but if you've got fuel, there has to be another reason for no start.  It's hard to fault find without being hands on  :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KiwiTIGERnOZ

IT'S WORKING!!  :P  

Realised that when I replaced the handle bars with pro-taper bars the throttle didn't seem right and when I hooked up the diagnostic tool the throttle was reading at 39% open.
I dismantled the RH instrument cluster and released the cable. Tank back in and BROOOOOOM!!! She purred away like nothing was wrong! I was ecstatic!
The only problem I have is the little 'o' rings i bought are a few mm too large and won't seal the quick couplings so have to find the right ones.
So the Tiger won't start if the throttle is open.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Matt   :oops:

Bixxer Bob

Glad it's done.  The manual says don't touch the throttle when starting and explains that if you do, the ECM may misinterpret where the closed throttle position is but, if I recall correctly, it doesn't say it won't start.  Nevertheless, it's one to chalk down in the knowledge base; it's certainly a new one on me although, to be fair, if we'd known about you changing the bars as well.... :roll:

Go ride and enjoy!! :lol:

iansoady

As always, if it won't start but was running perfectly previously, start by looking at what you've done in between.

You're lucky it didn't jam when you were riding......

I suspect if the throttle's open when you're trying to start the ecu will supply too much fuel as it'll be looking at throttle position - the opposite of clearing a rich mixture on a carbed bike by kicking it over with the throttle wide.

The handbook does suggest that in very cold conditions starting may be easier with the throttle open a bit which supports this view.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

EvilBetty

Quote from: "KiwiTIGERnOZ"The only problem I have is the little 'o' rings i bought are a few mm too large and won't seal the quick couplings so have to find the right ones.

Autozone has some Viton o-rings in a variety pack in the HELP! section.  2 of them will fit the fittings like a glove.  I think they rings themselves were a color other than black.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"As always, if it won't start but was running perfectly previously, start by looking at what you've done in between.

yes indeed most home mechanic problems are self inflicted , in the old days of my 67 bonneville whenever it would malfunction I would always look at the last repair or item I messed with and the problem would be at hand ..........