News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rattle in the tranny?

Started by Colonel Nikolai, April 12, 2010, 02:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

My 96 Tiger has a rattle in what sounds like the transmission area. It's not too loud: could it just be a very worn front sprocket? I do not hear it when I'm not moving. The chain and rear sprocket looks not too bad, with the chain being the worse of the two.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

front sprocket nut could be loose..............or is your chain too tight that will make a rattle sound too ....1 1/2 inch free play they need

how's the rub strip?

alternator rattle..........?

Colonel Nikolai

Rub block looks fairly new. Chain needs tightening: it's headed toward 2" of freeplay. I thought about the DAR, but I only hear it when moving?

Mustang

Sounds like you need to inspect the front sprocket , I have seen many times on my own bikes and others bikes when you go to take the front sprocket off the nut is loose and only being prevented from unscrewing because of the lock tab . and that is after it's been on there for like 10000 miles and was put on as tight as I could possibly make it using a  4 foot pipe on a ratchet . sometimes they loosen up sometimes not ...........thank god for lock tabs . :shock:

and if that front sprocket has been on there for more than 15k miles I bet it is hooked and very worn , i've seen em come off bikes with teeth missing .
out of sight out of mind is some peoples motto .

i will put on a new front sprocket everytime I change a chain , the rear I sometimes will reuse . but the front never it takes a real beating .

Colonel Nikolai

Ok, will do, then! Thanks Mustang.

I recently bought a used sprocket cover from a 900 Trophy. This would be a good time to investigate splitting the sprocket cover and doing the dipstick delete!

Colonel Nikolai

I decided to replace the sprockets and chain and not wait to get around to splitting and doing the dipstick delete on the existing sprocket cover. Before the next set it will be done: I'm really motivated to do it now since it was such a pain to do with the existing sprocket cover.

The front sprocket was the worst I had ever seen a front sprocket. Could easily saw wood or be converted to a replacement for animated shark fins on a carnival ride or something.

Back on the bike and I swear I didn't hear the rattle anymore for about 15 minutes. Now I hear it again, but it's much quieter (or maybe I was just too enthused about riding again in the first 15 minutes and I just didn't notice it, not sure).

Here is what I'd like to do: can someone in the Minneapolis area who either owns a Steamer or has owned a Steamer previously take my bike out for a ride and see if they can detect what I'm talking about and tell me if they think it's something to be worried about?

Am I just a bike hypochondriac?

Cheers,

Nick

Mustang

did the sprocket nut loosen up in the first 15 minutes ???

Colonel Nikolai

No I almost gave up. Ended up using a breaker bar and a pipe.

Sin_Tiger

Give the slider a real good clean, it might be worn through at one spot and you just can't see it. That ally swing arm sounds like a drum when you tap it, is it noisier accelerating or on over run?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Give the slider a real good clean, it might be worn through at one spot and you just can't see it. That ally swing arm sounds like a drum when you tap it, is it noisier accelerating or on over run?

I'm not sure. I think it's about the same but I notice it more when I let off the gass I think because the engine is quieter. I don't hear it at idle which is why I don't think it's the DAR.

Wish my 96 Sprint was running. Then at least I would have a close apples to apples comparison.

Colonel Nikolai

Oops. I just discovered that the rub block on the chain underrun is GONE. I was just looking at the rubber on the underrun, not the tensioner block (or whatever its called). Oddly my 96 Triumph Sprint doesn't have this part so I never thought to look for it. :oops:

Now I believe this is likely the rattle I'm feeling. At least that's what my wallet is telling me ;)