News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which cylinder head fits what Triumph

Started by Rocinante, April 12, 2010, 05:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

As I´m debating whether to buy a complete engine or a used cylinder head for my 98 Steamer, I´d be interested to know which cylinder heads and engine fits my bike.

I know the carb´ed Sprint and Trident from 93 to 97 does. Does the early models of Trophy and Daytona too? Which others does?

Could this be an interesting bit of info for the cross reference list? I couldn´t find any info on this topic from before.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Mustang

You can put any first generation Triumph motor into a 93-98 tiger chassis .

The frames were all the same

not sure if the 1200 four cylinder will go though

you can even put a t bird or legend or adventurer motor into the 93-98 tiger

the heads from any T309 or T409 bike / engine will bolt right in

pretty sure a t-bird head will bolt on too

if you want to take full advantage of the speed trip or daytona head you need one that has a different cam color than the tiger IE red or blue
they are just paint marks on the cams for reference denoting the 3 different cam grinds used  Tigers were green cams

if you use a speed trip head and cams and use the igniter for the speed trip you just made your self a steamer that is near 100 BHP and you willl need to use the jetting for a speed trip also .

the shift drum needs to be replaced though with the tiger drum or they shift backwards .

Rocinante

Thanks Mustang.

All the info I need in there. I´ll opt for a low mileage head from an equally powered engine, if a new head is the way to go.
www.dagjen.no

Bixxer Bob

Mustang,  how many horses are the Steamers supposed to put out?  My 1993 Trident 900 Triumph claimed made 97bhp.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Mustang,  how many horses are the Steamers supposed to put out?  My 1993 Trident 900 Triumph claimed made 97bhp.

Steamers put out a claimed BHP of 84 and loads of torque

the "Green " cams they were fitted with have a grind that makes lots of torque , you can easily do 6th gear throttle roll ons from low (and I mean low )rpms :P

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Rocinante

Quote from: "Mustang"if you want to take full advantage of the speed trip or daytona head you need one that has a different cam color than the tiger IE red or blue
they are just paint marks on the cams for reference denoting the 3 different cam grinds used  Tigers were green cams

if you use a speed trip head and cams and use the igniter for the speed trip you just made your self a steamer that is near 100 BHP and you willl need to use the jetting for a speed trip also .

Sooo, the heading here is misleading, is it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 3093wt_941

With red marks it should be from what, the Speed Triple?

The seller sent me the shim sizes, which range from 2.5 to 2.7 mm, so the head seems to be in good shape.

But if this head is from a Speed Triple, can I use the cam shafts I have and is there then a difference at all to my current setup?

Dag, confused
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

Quote from: "Rocinante"With red marks it should be from what, the Speed Triple?

The seller sent me the shim sizes, which range from 2.5 to 2.7 mm, so the head seems to be in good shape.

But if this head is from a Speed Triple, can I use the cam shafts I have and is there then a difference at all to my current setup?

Dag, confused
the head is the same as the tiger head ......so with your cams bolted in (you might have to fiddle with shim sizes to match your cams) your current jetting and igniter will be just like always . the bike will behave like it always has.........the only head that is truly unique to the 309 series was the Daytona Speed III head which was reworked by Cosworth

all other 309 series heads are the same but I will double check my manuals to verify that the intakes and exhausts are in fact the same diameter , and post a reply later today

Mustang

Quote...the only head that is truly unique to the 309 series was the Daytona Speed III head which was reworked by Cosworth

all other 309 series heads are the same but I will double check my manuals to verify that the intakes and exhausts are in fact the same diameter , and post a reply later today

Upon further research it is interesting to note that all of the early 309 / 409 series engines do in fact use the same head including the super III
they all have 26 mm exhaust valves and 30mm intakes
doesn't matter what engine 750 trident daytona 1000 etc etc all the triples used the same head
only the cams , carb jetting and igniters were different to make the various models oh and  different piston configurations

Rocinante

Excellent. You´re a walking and talking help center... :hello2  :bowdown

I´m tempted to go for this cylinder head. Wouldn´t you agree it looks like a good deal looking at the shim sizes?

Shipment is 116 USD, and all in all this will cost me less than half of what a full service on the existing head would, and about 1/6th-1/7th of a new engine.

The engine mounts that are cracked should be possible to weld one day, if the home made support cracks up.

And last but not least, it would be a hell of lot of fun to see my engine up on the 200 000km range one day...:)

Anything else I would need for the replacement except a new main gasket?
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

Quote from: "Rocinante"Anything else I would need for the replacement except a new main gasket?

by main gasket I assume you mean the cylinder head gasket ...........and don't forget you need a tube of hylomar to reseal the cylinder bases .

Even though you  probably are not going to bother them it is entirely possible when removing the old head that you will disturb the seal around the base of the cylinders and coolant will be able to leak past and your cherished steamer won't make the 200.000 km mark if that happens
it's cheap insurance to reseal the liners and highly recommended by Triumph

you can get it at your dealer  or it is available from Bike Bandit

theoretically you are supposed to replace the head bolts with new but if the old ones are not all rusted up and pitted I would go ahead and reuse them .

Rocinante

Yes I mean the head gasket. I´ll keep your advices in mind.

I decided to go ahead and buy that head. Imagine this; I´ll go back to my dealer with the six valves I bought a while ago. He accepted to take them back. The value of the valves are about the same as the head I just bought, including shipment and VAT.

How did we do these things before ebay...:)
www.dagjen.no