News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oh boy have i been having fun and games !!!

Started by Dan, April 12, 2010, 08:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Hello good peoples !!

Just had a nice run to Northern Ireland last week, did the coast road etc, was ace!! Stopped somewhere called Tor Head, and the bike wouldna start! No bother, I roll down the hill and bump start her .. its about another 100 mile home from there, so I made sure she was fueled and didn't let her stop!!  My inclination was .. new battery time.

How wrong I was!!!  One boiled battery later!! :D And recovered from Belfast to Birmingham .. that took 20 hours heehee

Never a dull moment on my road trips !!

Anyways, problem solved with new reg/rec and stator. Largely due to the great tech info on here as well. I might get round to doing the voltage fix one day too.

I do however have another issue .. a leak of sorts.
But only when she gets hot, I am assuming, from my meagre spannering knowledge, that the triple has a thermostat in the cooling system. So I am making the assumption that, when it is hot enough, the thermostat lets the coolant into another chamber, and then it leaks. The coolant  appears to leak at the swingarm end of the bike. Haven't been able to isolate it yet. short of letting her run til she gets that hot at least. This has only happened a few times so far .....

I have had search around, but not seen anything similar on here. All tips appreciated!
If I was any better, I\'d be twins!!!

2001 Girly = Swiss Army Knife
2010 Blade = Scalpel

EvilBetty

Swing arm end?

The radiator and fill take are up front.  Usually when it overheats, it bubbles from either the radiator cap on the left front of the bike (from the radiator cap) or the left front of the bike (from the fill box).

There is a large return hose that connects at the radiator and runs down the left side to an engine case... that would be as far back as anything in the cooling system runs.  If if's running down onto the swing arm that would sound like it's coming from the head, though I've only heard of the head weeping during nights of very cold storage.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Dan

yep swing arm end, bloody odd i thought, as all the fittings are at the front. And we are not talking a drip, a good few ounces came out.

I'll have to strip fairings off at weekend, run her till she leaks, and work out where its coming from, and how its getting down the back there..

gotta love a challenge :thumbsup

2010 Blade = Scalpel

aesdj

Sorry about your troubles and I carnt help with your leak problem but whats this voltage fix thing all about?

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Sin_Tiger

Not being a Girly owner, it's not the drain from the battery box is it?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

The overflow from the expansion tank does in fact go to just above the s/a on the right hand side of the bike. The theory is that as the coolant in the engine expands, the cap in the thermostat housing lifts and allows any surplus to be pumped up into the expansion tank (behind the RHS of the fairing). When it cools down again, the low pressure in the engine sucks the coolant back. If enough coolant goes into the expansion tank, the surplus drains down that pipe.

However, there can be several problems.

1. Some Tigers left the factory with the overflow and over-pressure pipes swapped over at the expansion tank. This meant that in the over-pressure situation coolant went up to the expansion tank but didn't come back. Mine was like this even though theoretically not one of the affected bikes.

2. Lots of people have had trouble with the pressure cap.

3. It has been known for the elbow that the over-pressure pipe attaches to in the expansion tank to fracture. This gives a similar effect to 1.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Dan

Quote from: "iansoady"The overflow from the expansion tank does in fact go to just above the s/a on the right hand side of the bike

Ahaha!!! this makes sense!! Thanks for that. And the fact they might be swapped over is a help too :thumbsup  .... gives me a bit of grounding when i get the spanners out saturday!!

2010 Blade = Scalpel

2004Tiger

Quote from: "Dan"
Quote from: "iansoady"The overflow from the expansion tank does in fact go to just above the s/a on the right hand side of the bike

Ahaha!!! this makes sense!! Thanks for that. And the fact they might be swapped over is a help too :thumbsup  .... gives me a bit of grounding when i get the spanners out saturday!!
Dan, it will be helpful, in future, to identify your bike. Some faults are year-specific. Let me emphasize that swapped tubes are common, as well as broken fittings at the expansion tank.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Dan

Fair point, and one I had forgotten. Apologies for that.

Have updated my sig , to reflect what year it is, and because I know i will forget again!

2010 Blade = Scalpel

iansoady

I think that's probably in the affected range. IIRC you can look it up via the VIN on the Triumph factory website.

BTW I'm fascinated that you managed to get from Belfast to Brum without letting the engine stop.......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

aesdj

Quote from: "EvilBetty"VOLTAGE FIX, by Sasquatch

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3843

"Search is your friend"

Thanks for this.I'll check mine out both at idle and 3000rpm but I don't think I'll need it as I'm not running a load of extras.

Dan

Quote from: "iansoady"BTW I'm fascinated that you managed to get from Belfast to Brum without letting the engine stop.......

ahahahahah  :lol:  :lol:

Made me giggle ..  :D

2010 Blade = Scalpel