News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front brake pad replacement

Started by jawad, April 15, 2010, 11:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jawad

I dont have my Streamer manual with me. ( My life is in transition.  My stuff is all in storage.  Books are in boxes that are behind and underneath it all.)  My front brakes sound squeaky.  I may be going metal on metal soon.  They have 8K miles on the pads.  I have done lots of wrenching on this bike, but always with the help of the book and you guys.  I dont even know how to check the pads for wear.  I did the rear pads a year ago, and it was simple.  My choices:

1. Buy a new manual.  Then sell it/ give it to someone who needs it.  I have one already.
2. Just pay the dealer to replace the pads
3. Just do it. It will be obvious.
4. Ask you guys how.  Maybe someone can post the relevant page/diagram.

Thanks

ArcticTiger

Will you please select Option #1!
And then I will volunteer to take care of your spare manual when your brakepad change is done :hat10
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Bixxer Bob

It's not hard and can be done without the book. Basically, you just remove the capscrews protecting the pad retaining pins, remove the pins and the pads will pretty much fall out.  Note how which way round they are and how they fit.  It's a good idea to ease the pistons back using the old pads before the pads drop out though, or there won't be room to slide the new ones in.

Next remove the spring clip noting carefully how it fits, clean it and put it back.

Without getting it on the brake material, put a thin smear of copper grease on the back of the pads and slide them up into place. If the holes don't line up with the pin it's because you haven't bedded the lug at the other end of the pad properly.  Poke around with your finger and you'll get it, it's slightly akward to get to but it'll go. Put a thin smear of copper grease on the pin and the pin threads, screw it in, put the capscrew back and you're done.

Mustang'll be along with some useful pics no doubt :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "jawad"3. Just do it. It will be obvious.

if you did the rear the fronts are identical just pay attention how the pad with the hook goes in

BTW the hook is the wear indicator

only the two pins with 5mm allen heads hold the pads in

Colonel Nikolai

I replaced all 6 pads on my 96 Sprint in about 40 minutes and I'm an idiot. I think I read the manual, but I didn't refer to it while I was doing it.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Nick Calne

It's not hard providing the brakes are generally working well.  If the pistons are need servicing it becomes a more awkward job and you should attend to the pistons before installing the new pads.

There is nothing in a manual that you would not deduce from just looking at the calipers it's so mechanically simple.

Even I can do it!  :shock:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?