News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need the scoop on chain adjustment

Started by pizzaman383, April 17, 2010, 06:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pizzaman383

Well, my Tiger is about to turn 10K miles.  I've ridden 9K of those.  I'm beginning to wonder how frequently I need to adjust my chain.  I sprayed the chain reasonably frequently for most of those (mostly road) miles.  I've cleaned the chain a few times and I just installed a pro-oiler.

How often do I need to check my chain tension?  How often do I need to adjust it?  When I adjust it how do I get the right tension?

The search didn't show me this so I hope it's not too much of a repeat question.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Nick Calne

The Haynes manual recommends checking the chain tension as a daily check.  It then contradicts itself by suggesting this is a once every 500 mile check.  According to the Haynes manual it's supposed to have 35 to 40mm free play in the middle of the chain.  This is true for Girly and steamer models.  Don't know about Roadies.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

yep 35 to 40 mm free play when the bike is on the side stand with unloaded suspension is a pretty good place to run the chain .they like to be loose

**TIP** When the chain starts to require frequent adjustment it is time to replace it .
With modern oring chains they usually require no adjustment after the first 500-1000 miles (especially if they are being lubed by a chain oiler ) once they start needing to be fussed with all the time they are toast .

redbirds

40 to 45mm is about right on the Roadie. Any less causes shifting and vibration issues. Dealers usually set the tension according to the book and this is a bit tight.
Living vicariously through myself.

pizzaman383

Thanks!!

When checking for slack, does it matter where you have the preload set on the rear shock?  It seems that position of the suspension would impact the measurement.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "pizzaman383"Thanks!!

When checking for slack, does it matter where you have the preload set on the rear shock?  It seems that position of the suspension would impact the measurement.
no to the preload of the shock

ideally what you want to do is sit on the bike with your normal riding gear and weight and have a helper check the free play so that you have approx.40 mm slack up and down
now when you get off the bike and have it on the side stand recheck to see how much slop there is and now you have a reference to go by to check it by yourself .

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang" **TIP** When the chain starts to require frequent adjustment it is time to replace it .
With modern oring chains they usually require no adjustment after the first 500-1000 miles (especially if they are being lubed by a chain oiler ) once they start needing to be fussed with all the time they are toast .

I agree. I've barely adjusted the one on my 04 in over 17,000 miles.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

HappyMan

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Mustang" **TIP** When the chain starts to require frequent adjustment it is time to replace it .

I agree. I've barely adjusted the one on my 04 in over 17,000 miles.

Yes, they don't need adjusting often but if you change your own tires and go through them every 3K you tend to get real good at keeping it adjusted just right and knowing when it's not.

+1 on the dealer keeping it too snug.  All they can do is go by the book unless you happen to find a mechanic that actually rides your bike and then they will be more familiar with it's peculiarities.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

pizzaman383

Quote from: "redbirds"40 to 45mm is about right on the Roadie. Any less causes shifting and vibration issues. Dealers usually set the tension according to the book and this is a bit tight.

I measured it at 46mm when I pushed the chain up and down to get the largest measurement.  Is that the right way to do it?
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Mustang

yep and you should move the bike backwards and forwards checking the free play in several different spots on the chain
if you have tight spots and loose spots
IE one section only moves 35 mm and another section can move 45 mm  your chain is junk and needs replacing

PeteH

Quote from: "pizzaman383"Thanks!!

Did with mine, pre-load is what it says- lifts the rear for a given weight and so alters the chain tention.
I sit on Tiggs then check that theres 1/2 - 3/4 of travel upwards movement in the bottom bit of the chain, works for me :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

blacktiger

If you have a centre stand, here's what works for me:-
Put bike on centre stand.
With your finger, push chain upwards at the middle of the lower run.
If the chain can JUST touch the plastic chain guard on the underside of the swingarm, pivot end, the tension is right. if it touches too easy you need to tension. If it don't touch at all you need to loosen.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

JTT

Thanks Blacktiger.  I've been looking for the tension measurement from centre stand.   :occasion14
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

jphish

I read somewhere from some knowledgeble someone (Stretch or Mustang) that suggested 50mm (2") was better than 40mm - Girly Tigers dont like tight chains ??  Or Im just having another bout of dementia ?

RiderX

I noticed that mine is also a bit on the loose side (3 inches of play while on the center stand, about 1 inch when I'm sitting on it) and that it makes some noise from near the front sprocket when it is in gear on the center stand. Can't hear anything when riding. Ideas?