News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05' Swingarm Advantage/Disadvantage?

Started by Flying Tiger, August 22, 2004, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Tiger

While  I FINALLY got my 02 tiger into the dealer for my battery/electrical issue, (1.5 hours away) I was looking at the 05 and it's changes.  I was puzzeled by the changes that Triumph made to the swing arm.  The dealer was too because he, being your average height man, noted that HE was uncomfortable with the already tall bike and with the swing arm change, the ability to 'easily' lower was eliminated with the 05 swing arm.

To me the previous ('04 and before) concentric design is better.

*Faster, easier chain adjustments and rear wheel alignments.

*Looks better.

*An easy way to lower the bike by rotating the axel to the top and sliding the forks up.  Tiger is already kocking us short riders out of their target market.

The only down side I've heard of the older concentric design is that if one over tightens the clamps, you could crack the circular clamps.

I'm curious on the more experienced Tiger owners thoughts on the swing arm design change.  My thoughts are that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Brock

In my opinion the old concentric (eccentric) swingarm is better. Much easier to adjust chain tension, easier to keep wheels in line. There's no risk of cracking anything if you use a torque wrench.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

I'd have prefered the new swing arm with the old but maybe smaller eccentric ajusters.

Chris

Dennisra12

You mention chain adjustments. I have a 05 with 200 miles on it.

Surley I won't have to adjust chain with a passenger and again when I'm solo. Right?

I  have been noticing a mechanical feeling thru my pegs.

It seems to be noticible when I decelerated or when i cruise without giving it throttle or pull.

The noise/feel is really noticible with my wife on and letting off or holding throttle steady.

Any Ideas's?

I went to dealer cause my chain moves a good inch with me off the bike.

He was closinf for the day but checked it in the parking lot  and seemd to think with me on the bike it tighted some.

He suggested i finish my 500 miles and then he's take a good look at it.

My book says 40mm. How much is that and I'll adjust  it myself.
2005 Tiger

1968 Tiger

Renman

Dennis,

I also have an '05 with that mechanical knock in the pegs.  I also feel it in the grips.  I only notice it in higher gears with a steady throttle around 4,000 rpm's.  My chain seems very loose and will try to adjust it to correct the problem.  It may be a stupid theory, but my guess is that at steady throttle, too much slack in the chain is allowing it to slap on the swing arm or something.  But then again, I am no mechanic.

I have an appointment with the dealer to check it out if I cannot fix it.  I'll post the findings (assuming there are any) if you do not have a resolution by then.

Mark

Patrick the Scot

:?:  :?

Mark;

I just bought an '05 Tiger in Albuquerque a couple of weeks ago and have the same mechanical irratically fluxuating vibration upon deceleration.  Worst between 3500 - 4500 rpm.  My theroy is that the chain is to loose.  I have 1.25 inches of vertical play on the bottom run with me off it.  I think that when the throttle is off the suspension relaxes and the countershaft spocket ceases to put a load of force on the chain.  This lack of load allows if to vibrate on its revolution around the spockets.  The manual says that it is supposed to be looser than it is but I wouldn't trust the manual as it is written in UK english.  I'm going a little tighter and see what happens.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

MikeBenzon

I too have recently purchased an 05 Tiger and I feel the vibration at speeds above 60 mph and I also feel the vibration under deaccelleration. I will be checking my chain adjustment this weekend. I have had the biked serviced for its 500 mile check and the dealer did not do anything to rid the vibration. I do not want to over tighten the chain. I would rather contend with the vibration if that's the way it has to be.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

PeterO

Me Too !!!

I've now got 1100 miles on my '05 Tiger, and I've adjusted the chain tension twice now, and I'm not sure it made any difference to the "buzz" I feel at 4000 rpm "off the throttle".

If it was a chain "thing" wouldn't you  expect it to be more rleated to the road speed than the engine speed  ?

Peter

BRG '05

Dennisra12

Hope everyone will get their  dealer to let Triumph HQ in USA know.

This is alot of bike for an inconvience.

I bought a new first year Bonnie in 01. I had a clutch clang. Dealer was

stumped. After he contacted the main distributor  and  other dealers

began calling in about the problem, Triumph came up with a fix kit.

It takes all to make it work.

I'm goning back to my dealer next week to get hiom to call.

Maybe the o5 bugs from new changes aren't tweaked out yet .
2005 Tiger

1968 Tiger

markdenv

I have a 05 Tiger which I have put 1500 miles on.  I had vibration at speeds over 55 mph.  I found that both of my tires were out of balance.  After balancing the tires no more vibration problems.

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

This vibration thing is a bottomless pit of sorts because were all different and what's a problem to some isn't even noticed by others.

No matter if you've got an 01234/or05 going from rideing one up you will certainley need to ajust your chain,if in doubt lean down and feel how slack it is.

The fuel you run the bike on will make a difference,here in the Uk i run mine on Shell Optimate,which is a higher octane.

Something that has a real effect on vibration is which tune you have installed in the bike,i've mentioned before i've had several installed on various Tigers they make a tremendous difference,some of the better performing ones have given a lot more vibes,because the program leans the mixture out,my wife thinks i really have lost the plot!! my way of testing the vibes is by holding the left handle bar end with my thumb and index finger.

I also noticed a difference when i had a 6 thousand service done on both my 900i and my 955 they install a new tune(different) when they do that.

Finally something i never see mentioned here or on any other Tiger board,for the engine to really bed down you'll need some where between 8 and 10 thousand miles,people talk about BM's needing a lot of mileage to settle in,i've found Triumphs to be exactly the same.

Chris

Brock

I've tried to keep out of this, but I think Chris C has hit the nail right on the head. We're all different, and we've all come from different bikes before the Tiger. What feels like a problem to one person seems quite acceptable to another. I came from VFRs to my first Tiger, and the two engines are quite different AND I EXPECTED THEM TO BE.

I had a Bandit once. Within a few days I was convinced the engine was shaking itself to pieces, with the kind of noises I'd never heard before.

Took it to the dealer and guess what his mechanic said?

"It's a fuckin' engine...it's full of bits that move around. It's bound to make noises." See...I'd been used to faired bikes before that, and the fairings had hidden a lot of the "natural" noises that engines make.

This vibration thing can be really subjective, and can really depend on the age of the bike, plus (as Chris so rightly said) the tune that's installed.

The only answer is...if you're really concerned, see the dealer. If it's just niggling, then give it a chance.

And if you REALLY want to experience vibration, get a short ride on an 1150GS. But don't even think about fathering kids afterwards.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

TigerTim

Quote from: "Brock".

And if you REALLY want to experience vibration, get a short ride on an 1150GS...

Spot on there Brock  :lol: Tigger is so smoooooth in comparison.

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

PeterO

Quote from: "Brock"I've tried to keep out of this, but I think Chris C has hit the nail right on the head.

So just because your bike doesn't suffer from any problem vibrations the rest of us should just keep quiet ?  Is that what you mean ?

As I said elsewhere if my old steamer was as rough as my '05 is I would have had the carbs in bits on the bench.

Peter O

MikeBenzon

In response to Brock's comments, part of what you say is very true. However, I too feel a vibration in my new 05 Tiger and I am not convinced it should be there. You see, I came from a Sprint with the same motor and the Sprint was smooth as silk. Right now, I can't tell where it is coming from.

If I pull in the clutch lever in, the vibration goes away. So, I don't think it is the tires. I think it is either the motor or the chain. If it is the chain, I am wondering if Truimph changed the front sprocket to a solid one. If so, that's probably what we are feeling. Or, it could be something to do with the chain and its relationship with the swingarm.  If it is not the motor and it is related to the spocket or swingarm then I can live with that, as Brock says, it is part of the bike ['s character]. If this vibration is in the motor, I would like to know what Triumph has done differently with this motor compared to my 2000 Sprint motor. I know, there have been changes from my Sprint's generation 955 to this present generation 955, but I haven't heard anyone on a Sprint complaining about this vibration.

If this vibration is part of the character of the new Tigers, then so be it.  The one thing I don't want to do is to live with something that is defective and should be repaired or replaced. I have made that mistake before. I lived with a flaw on a brand new bike and years later when I realized it as a flaw, it was too late to address it with the manufacture.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/