News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Guzzling Gas

Started by BigMark, April 26, 2010, 11:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMark

Popped down to Turin to have dinner with some friends and my bike was guzzling gas like a V8 Range Rover...

First thing we thought odd was that we were down from 200m per tank to 160m under the same circumstances as we always ride in Euroland.  (probably travelling lighter than previously too)
Then on the way back we were filling up at 140m then before the tunnel home we done a tank of fuel in 105miles! I know it was used or lost or whatever as when I filled it up it took 20litres. Tank holds 24. No obvious leaks, no smoking, no smells and seems to be running like a triumph – paranoia makes me think it was running with a fast heartbeat at any constant revs but could be just that (paranoia)... it was popping a fair bit when I throttled off which I quite like.

Bixxer Bob

This a Girly by any chance Mark?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigMark

She certainly is sir..

just had a major service too.

iansoady

Quote from: "BigMark"just had a major service too.

There's your problem. If it was done by a Triumph dealer.......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Mark,
I'm assuming also you've no warning lights as you didn't mention any so that rules out most of the sensors, but have a quick look at the long tube going from the right side of the airbox down the frame rail to the ECM under the seat.  That gives the ECM the air pressure in the airbox.  Make sure it's not either pinched or disconnected.  If the ECM reads atmospheric pressure rather than the depression (lower pressure) in the air box, it'll think there's more oxygen available than there really is and so bump up the fuel accordingly, making it run rich.  

Next, look for air leaks in the exhaust - especially at the cylinder head and around the O2 sensor.  If there's air getting in, that causes extra popping on overrun and the ECM will try to richen the mix to compensate for the weak reading at the O2 sensor.  It will also get gradually worse because the ECM will tweak the long term trim if it's constantly reading weak at the O2 sensor.

The O2 sensor should be reading 0.46 volts but you need something to read the values with such as Tuneboy for that.

hope this helps.... BB
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigMark

Thanks i will check that out.

What we really need in the south east is a good triumph dealer..  :?
The ones here wont tell me a price for a retune or to test the o2 sensor. they just say it will be x amount per hour and they dont know how long it will take..

I would have thought they should know that by now....

Bixxer Bob

If, by retune you mean changing the map, most dealers charge £25-30.  It will take less than 5 minutes to check the O2 sensor.

Sadly,  I don't trust dealers after getting my fingers burned (figuratively speaking) last year.  I work hard at solving my own problems, that's why I invested in Tuneboy.  It's pricey, but compared to a couple of trips to the dealers????

In your case, I'd be telling him he buggered something up when he did the service and you want it fixing at their expense.  He must know what he changed to make it do this.  Do you have a list of what he claims to have done for the recent service?

How far is Maidenhead from you?  I believe there's a good Main Dealer there.

BigMark

Just been back.  The chap that done my service is not a triumph dealer as i also dont like being ripped off. He is very good actually and does all my bikes to a very high standard. He showed me around all what could be causing the problem.

There are no loose or trapped connections. The exhaust is totally soot free and sound, throttle response is spot on and the engine seems to run a treat. he checked all the fuel connections whilst i watched and came up blank... He asked if i would mind running it down to the red light, filling it up and then recording mileage just once more and he wll have it back in three weekends if it still does it to pull it apart and work his way through the engine until he finds the cause... We done the 3 cycle tune thingy whilst there and all connections were jiggled arund and he made sure no problems. I am actually satisfied with this explanation. Especially as there are no symptoms other than a poor mpg. Usually there should be a tell tale sign and maybe a bit of jiggling may have fixed it... But he will will investigate further for me if need be.

I will see how it goes, maybe it will magically fix itself... We will see...

Chris Canning

Taking the bike to a non Triumph dealer is money down the drain,Triumphs ! as good as they as they are,are quirky,you need to find a dealer(not a new one unless he's got a mechanic from else were) and stick with it,i could write a book about the different fuel maps i've had put in mine over the years,what makes you pay attention with the maps they cannot be retro fitted,and as i've had some crap installed at various times over the years,the one I have in now,has been in at least 5 years if not more,and the last time i had the motor shimmed i told e'm to leave the map as is,which was met with a ruefull smile.

A decent non Triumph dealer if he's any good will tell you to bugger off,because he'll never be able to set the bike up.

Bixxer Bob

+1  :thumbsup

What Chris said.  

My Triumph dealer even mapped mine with a speed triple map :shock: then couldn't understand why it wouldn't run.

Short hijack: Chris, do you know which map you're running at the moment?  I'm using a heavily modified 10173 (955i late VIN aftermarket pipe).  It's not perfect, but it's the best I've had so far.  Both the standard Triumph maps are rubbish (in my bike anyway....).

oxnsox

Mark I have to go with Bob and Chris here... Though your guy may be mechanically good, engine control (management) these days is all done by the smoke and mirrors of electronics and sensors. If wiggling a wire fixes the problem then it's odds on it will return simply as the wires wiggle on your next ride????

Given that you have a rapport with the guy why don't you suggest he looks at this site....  if he has the nouse he'll pick up the right clues to mix with his knowledge and help you sort the problem.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris Canning

Bob

Towards the end of 955's they(Triumph) went to numbers to designate the map,earlier versions started at 1 and last I was aware of was either 20 or 21,i can't remember if it was 13 or 14 i had fitted,then stored the bike over the winter and then rode down to Valencia on it the following spring,it was a horror,must have been doing 65mpg at over 90mph it was running that lean,the problem being i couldn't hold the bars properly because of the vibes,when we got to Valencia got a local dealer to instal what was their current map,but older than the one in the bike,calm was restored and off went,to this day,my wife still gives me stick,as i gauge how well the bike is running with my left thumb and forfinger holder the left bar end to feel the vibes :D

Got back to the UK,met with a wry smile and a 'E'r we thought it might be like that' and that put in an even newer map in,which i think is 16,and thats in till this day,and runs pretty dam good,and I(we) have ride'n no end of big mileage days since and it's as good as ever,and to be honest way to risky to chance anything else,as i put in another post on the other site,i've tried an O2 sensor,but it flattened the engine off too much for my likeing, I reckon the tune i have in must been done in 04 or 05.

Rather oddly as i had an 885 before my 955,the aftermarket can was swapped over at the shop the day i bought my 955,so i have never ridden the bike with a stock tune in,and the standard can is still in the box 9 years on!!.

Chris

BigMark

Not sure I would agree that only triumph dealers can service a triumph... There are an awful lot of tiger owners on the web that service their own without any formal qualifications at all.

Don't want to piss in the wind but this chap has worked on Triumphs for almost 20 years and the closest dealer he recommended is Carl Rosner in Croydon. A bit out of the way for me really.

If me and half the local population had not had piss poor experiences with the local Triumph it would go there but they treat you like an inconvenience and charge something ridiculous.

I am thinking maybe it will end up with Carl Rosner..

I have contacted Destination Triumph in Brighton also, maybe they will get back to me

Bixxer Bob

Cheers Chris. Sadly I only know the maps from the Tuneboy labels ie 10172 or 10173 for late 955s.  I'll off to look at the site Iansoady recommended, might save me some work.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "BigMark"Not sure I would agree that only triumph dealers can service a triumph... There are an awful lot of tiger owners on the web that service their own without any formal qualifications at all.

Don't want to piss in the wind but this chap has worked on Triumphs for almost 20 years and the closest dealer he recommended is Carl Rosner in Croydon. A bit out of the way for me really.

If me and half the local population had not had piss poor experiences with the local Triumph it would go there but they treat you like an inconvenience and charge something ridiculous.

I am thinking maybe it will end up with Carl Rosner..

I have contacted Destination Triumph in Brighton also, maybe they will get back to me

Mark

You need a bit of laterel thinking mate,my Tiger isn't remotely stock,i do most of the work myself,i don't do the engine it's the only one i've got,how well it can run is guess work unless you've both worked and delt with others,thats 955's or what ever model you've got,and hence why i'm happy to let a.n.other work on it assuming he past my interview test!!!!.

But your major clanger,'Local' big mistake,your looking for a good job,not an easy life,i've seen half a dozen Triumph dealers come and go in Birmingham and the West Mids,i've used non of e'm.

I recently bought a K1200r Sport,yes sure i have local BM dealers,were it goes doesn't matter,but local it most certainley ain't.