News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

sat navs

Started by rybes, May 02, 2010, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I sort of agree with Bob.  When I go somewhere using SatNav it's like I don't 'learn' the area and the next time I go back I'm none the wiser.  When I use the map it's as though the information is hardwired into me.

When I'm wondering around I like to go the wrong way too.  You discover stuff this way.

(Truth - Also too tight/skint/miserable to splash £300 on a bike sat nav!)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

EvilBetty

+1

BUT... after I'm familiar with my route I still like having the GPS on the whole way to prompt me for turns.  Nothing better than just... driving... with your only concern being watching the road.

Nothing worse that realizing you just... drove... an hour past your turn.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

rybes

cheers for all ya replys blokes :D i like the arguments ya come up with for maps. i like the sound of that idea. makes the journy more memorable and excitin. will i get lost ? wont i get lost ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

oxnsox

You're only lost when you don't know how to get back to somewhere you know...
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Stenhouse

I'm never lost, I just get unsure of my exact whereabouts!

I hate sat navs, so haven't joined in here I'm afraid I agree with Bixxer, but I will say they have their place. To find one streeet in an unfamiliar city they are the tops.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Geoff D

Totally agree John I hate 'em too, never used one on the bike, ....... I always have a route card & map in my tank bag, but can't see 'em without reading glasses now. So guess I'll still do route cards & take maps (part of the fun of touring I think) & will have some sort of back up.

Can you pre program these sat nav's to go the way you want instead of the way it wants to go???
The older I get the faster I was...

Mustang

mine you can put in stops along the way and force it to go exactly the way you want to go .

what I really like about it is I put in the city I want to end up at in the end of the day and don't really take the exact route it picks I just kind of meander along and the gps keeps picking a new route to eventually get me where I wanted to go once I start following it's directions  :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Geoff D"Totally agree John I hate 'em too, never used one on the bike, ....... I always have a route card & map in my tank bag, but can't see 'em without reading glasses now. So guess I'll still do route cards & take maps (part of the fun of touring I think) & will have some sort of back up.

Can you pre program these sat nav's to go the way you want instead of the way it wants to go???

Certainly can.  I like maps, but the one area I find they really come into their own is you can get within a couple of miles of somewhere you've never been before with a map, but the last couple of miles are usually wherre you get lost.  The satnav takes over and gets you to the door.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"get me where I wanted to go once I start following it's directions  :ImaPoser

I often do just that, pick where I want to end up, let it figure out a route then switch it off and switch it back on only when I'm done enjoying myself  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

My satnav is known as Doris; she's the only woman in my life I can ignore and get away with it... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JasonS

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "Mustang"get me where I wanted to go once I start following it's directions  :ImaPoser

I often do just that, pick where I want to end up, let it figure out a route then switch it off and switch it back on only when I'm done enjoying myself  :lol:

One of the most exhilarating days on a MC for me was in 2005, cruising South on I-81 on a loaded Sprint ST, getting battered by semi-buffeting, I picked a geographical spot NW of Atlanta, told the GPS to take me there and avoid Hwy's... I rode all day and had no idea where I really was on the large scale.. I was just riding and enjoying.... ended up getting motel as I crossed I-40 about 60 miles East of Ashville NC.   The roads I took were awesome.. rural blacktop with no lines, through rolling countryside and up over the Mountains crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway... just a stellar day.
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

EvilBetty

THAT is what I love to do.

I really don't like the bike nights and meetups near as much as driving to them.  The farther away the better.  The less highway the better.  GPS can be great for this!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

DESERT RAIDER

last year i took a trip around Europe , and with having to get a new bike very close to the trip date and money was short and wanting to use a satnav , i had one for the car and didnt want to spend a fortune on one just for the bike , i got my hands on this its a givi satnav bag , its got loads of padding , its waterproof and it just velcros on , so i use my tomtom 500 it does everything and best it was cheap