News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Renew fork oil

Started by tett, May 07, 2010, 02:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie

I do mine every 2 years and it really helps the handling on the front end.
Went with a slightly heavier 15wt oil and progressive springs with gold race tech valves. Probably overkill but it has transformed the handling and I ride the thing pretty quickly .
The front end squishyness and diving are gone so very happy with the result.
Clean oil is your best friend in your forks

tett

Sigh, I guess it will be a days job. :(

Should be fun even if it is a bigger job than I first thought.  Too bad I did not think of it when I had my front wheel off two weeks ago to change the tire.

tett

Quote from: "Mustang"well you will be removing these too as there are no drain holes on them and to get at the pinch bolts easily on the trees you will be removing body work .............and then the calipers , fender and wheel . so you can tip em upside down to drain the old oil .....then you get to reassemble everything  :ImaPoser
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

oxnsox

Tett
Thanks for starting the thread, I'd thought mine had been done in one of the 2 workshop services that I've requested. But seeing the time frame involved and looking at the receipts etc... I have decided that it's unlikely, even though I may have paid for the oil.
Still that was a few years back so it'd be time for another change this winter anyway.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blacktiger

Quote from: "oxnsox"Tett
Thanks for starting the thread, I'd thought mine had been done in one of the 2 workshop services that I've requested. But seeing the time frame involved and looking at the receipts etc... I have decided that it's unlikely, even though I may have paid for the oil.
Still that was a few years back so it'd be time for another change this winter anyway.

It should be done every 12K and if you take it to a Triumph dealer for one of those services it will/should have been done.
I do mine according to mileage not age and I mix 1 litre of 15W with 1/2 litre of 10W because I felt 10W was too soft and 15W was too stiff. I feel my mix gives a good ride quality with good control.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Nimrod11

I changed mine soon after I bought the bike. Reduced diving a little. Not a huge difference, I must say.
----------
Tiger 2004