News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

broken chain

Started by Shtiffirg, May 10, 2010, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shtiffirg

so the master-link on my chain broke...and as the chain whipped off it broke the plastic housing over the front sprocket and the chain guard. anyone know where I should look for replacements?

chairhead

It depends if you want to fit OEM or aftermarket items,when it comes to a c/s set i would always pay a little more and fit Triumph stuff,the covers you can find second hand,all of the above you will find on Ebay and possibly for sale on this forum,i dont want to teach you to suck eggs but when replacing a chain,sprockets should also be replaced,you were very lucky the chain did'nt smash the engine casing,that would have been very expensive :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph- ... ccessories

http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/a ... l/manuals/
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

Like the man said E-bay,but you sure are one lucky boy,most chains that i've seen let go,punch a hole straight through the back of the crankcase.

Most of those were some years ago,it's pretty rare in todays day and age with soft links taking over from split links for a chain to let go,only two causes, trying to save money on a cheap chain,or who ever fitted it did a bad job on the soft link,there's no place on modern day bikes for split links  :cry:

Bixxer Bob

Just to add a little to what Chris C said, I'm surprised it had a split link; I thought all chain manufacturers advise aginst them on anything above 50 bhp (standing ready to be corrected on that one).  I fitted a OEM Triumph chain and sprockets to my 900 Trident some years back and didn't use a Scottoiler in those days, I used PJ1 chainwax instead and was very careful to make sure it was done properly.  Nevertheless, when it was only about 8000 miles old, I was checking the chain as I was waxing it while it was still warm immediately after a spirited ride and found several cracked sideplates.  The cracks radiated from the pin to the outer edge of the sideplates.  I couldn't work out why it had happened, but it gave me quite a scare thinking what would've happened if that had let go during the ride home.

Like others said you are one lucky man to get away with so little damage.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Just to add a little to what Chris C said, I'm surprised it had a split link;

Um, he didn't say that it had a split link. He said "master link". Could be that it wasn't riveted properly when fitted.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Shtiffirg

any ideas about what years might have compatible front sprocket covers and or rear chain guards? mine is a 1999 885 and im trying to find these parts used on ebay. also, off topic from this posting, i need some advice on trying to locate this phantom oil leak. oil just appears all over the crankcase...maybe a gasket or something. i plan to solve this problem myself but i am a total noob, this is my first motorcycle; any advice at all would be helpful.

Colonel Nikolai

There are a bunch of O-rings behind the sprocket cover on my 96 (also an 885) Tiger that Mustang says will eventually start leaking. (Mustang is essentially a living specification for the first generation Tigers) The going advice is if you have the sprocket cover off, just go ahead and replace them. Not sure how this information translates to an Early Girly like your'n.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.