News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch Cable Lube

Started by EvilBetty, May 14, 2010, 08:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I've noticed after riding several other bikes, including a new Tiger that my Girly clutch cable doesn't move as freely as they do.  Not only does it take more effort, but it feels more sluggish.

Being my first clutch issue I thought I'd start by lubing it before I did anything else.  How do you do that exactly?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

Buy a new cable . :ImaPoser .....seriously that is the only thing that will fix it

lubing it won't do much except make a mess
new cable is 35 bucks

Timbox2

Mustangs probably right, but for info anyway.

There are a couple of ways, one involves buying a cable oiler which clamps around one end of the cable and has a little port for you to inject your favourite lube, I use spray silicon grease.

Or the old fashion way of making a sort of funnel out of a plastic bag which you attach around one end and pour lube into it while holding the end vertical

2016 Tiger Sport

walker

I'll look around - I removed a stock 2006 cable and swapped with a 2007 (because I retrofitted the adjustable lever from a 2007 - direct swap for the entire perch, only your handguard isn't compatible, but gives you a better adjustable lever, current mirror bolts right up, and the adjuster I like a lot better.... whole assembly is $68 from bike bandit)

if I have that old cable around, you can have it (well, I might need $5 for priority mail, but basically free).

Let me look when I get home..... I had stuck it in a discard pile, hopefully it never made it out of the garage...

EvilBetty

Bixxer Bob

Haven't been out to the shed to loook, but isn't the cable PTFE lined?  Most are these days, in which case lubing isn't going to help much.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Haven't been out to the shed to loook, but isn't the cable PTFE lined?  Most are these days, in which case lubing isn't going to help much.

DING DING DING we have a winner! :thumbsup

jsingraham

Another thing to check is side of the motor where the cable terminates...make sure your cable isn't rubbing on the edge of the cable shield.  Many of the girlies have brackets that hold the cable at an odd angle that allows it to  rub where it exits the shielding and therefore causes unnecessary friction and leads to prematue failures.  I had to bend  my bracket out a bit to straighten it.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

Mustang

:iagree

have seen this on a lot of em .............

walker

I checked for that cable - I'm too efficient, I tossed it last friday   :(

Good points on the alignment - I have usually used a pair of pliers to bend the bracket a little so that the cable goes straight into the sleeve and has minimum contact with the sides as it moves through the range of motion.

outrunner

Last weekend I felt my clutch action very stiff, so much so that after a 240 mile ride to the Lake District and back my left hand was aching. I put this down to what I was up to the previous weekend, which was doing this.

Playing in the sand riding to and from Piel Island off the coast at Barrow. I reckoned that the cable had picked up some sand/salt with all the splashing about so this week I oiled it.
Went out today for a little run of about 80 miles and the clutch is nice and light again so for me oiling the cable works.  :?

PS I won't post the pic of me lying in a heap in the sand and mud. :oops:

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

EvilBetty

Thanks guys, I'll go have a look today.  I do seem to remember that cable exiting the tube crooked.

Thanks for checking Walker!

tett

Dirty wet sandy sheepskin!  :ImaPoser
Please post the pic! :new_popcornsmiley

tett

Quote from: "outrunner"Last weekend I felt my clutch action very stiff, so much so that after a 240 mile ride to the Lake District and back my left hand was aching. I put this down to what I was up to the previous weekend, which was doing this.

Playing in the sand riding to and from Piel Island off the coast at Barrow. I reckoned that the cable had picked up some sand/salt with all the splashing about so this week I oiled it.
Went out today for a little run of about 80 miles and the clutch is nice and light again so for me oiling the cable works.  :?

PS I won't post the pic of me lying in a heap in the sand and mud. :oops:

Andy.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

outrunner

Quote from: "tett"Dirty wet sandy sheepskin!  :ImaPoser
Please post the pic! :new_popcornsmiley

tett

Actually the picture is not that clear.

But this one shows how dirty I got.
:D