News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Surging in IL

Started by HappyMan, May 15, 2010, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

El Tigre needs a tune up.  Unfortunately it's getting worse on my trip and getting it tuned is going to have to wait for me to get back to Minneapolis.

In the meantime, it's surging.  Feels like the Throttle Position Sensor is off and I need a TBS.  My Beemer could re-sync the TPS with a quick twist of the throttle.  Is there such a procedure for Tigger?  Also, there was a ten minute tune or something that I can't remember the details to.  I'm interested in trying to do anything I can right now for the trip home on Monday.  It doesn't feel like she's gonna die and I think (pray) she'll make it back.  

She's an 06 Girly.  She's within a thousand miles of the next 12K tune up so none of this surprises me.  But any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

try this
it's the 12 minute tune might fix you up

this is from one of stretch's posts

The Twelve-Minute Tune resets all the values read by the various sensors, and starts the 'learning' portions of the ECU over with a clean slate.

With the bike stone-cold, start the engine, then touch nothing. You don't want to give it any throttle, brake, clutch, or any other input to the ECU. Just start it and let it idle.

Start your timer when the radiator fan first turns on. Give it the full twelve minutes, then shut the bike off with the key (not the red kill rocker switch).

HappyMan

Thanks Mustang.  I'll run it after I get back from my dinner meeting tonight and the bike is cold.  Much appreciated! 8)

2mh

Hey HappyMan, I live in Chicago(about a half mile off the lakefront and maybe 5 miles north of downtown). You're welcome to use my garage and tools-I have a carbtune if needed. Let me know I'll be glad to help.

HappyMan

Thanks 2MH.  Unfortunately I just went out to the bike to run the 12 minute tune and failed miserably.  The bike barely started and when it did start it wouldn't idle.  If I forced it to a higher RPM I could keep it running but she's missing very badly.  Wow....didn't expect that.  Perhaps I won't be leaving Monday. :evil:  Trying to get it to your place might be too much of a trip at this point.  I really appreciate the offer but I don't want to put you out.

I've found two Triumph dealers in Chicago.  Motor Cycle Center in Villa Park and South Suburban Triumph in South Chicago Heights.  Of course I won't be able to call them until Monday and I've got a meeting Monday morning so this is starting to get pretty ugly.  I do have a rental car so I can leave it at the hotel right now.  South Suburban is pretty close to where I'm at in Tinley Park so if I can limp her to them it's probably going to be best.  Is there any reason I should stay away from them?  I have not had any love for mechanics at the dealerships but I'm not in much of a position to be choosey either.  Quite frankly I'm expecting the same treatment I get from Minneapolis dealerships.  They'll tell me they can look at it in a week or so or in laymen's terms..."screw you, so what if you're from out of town."

Does anyone else have any ideas for me to try? Or thoughts on what's going on?  I swear I've read of at least one other having a similar problem in this forum.

KuzzinKenny

Hey HappyMan !! sorry to about yer Tigger missbehavin on yer trip !!

think back, have you just refueled ?? might have got some bad fuel, water in it !!

did the battery crank it ok ?? did ya leave her out in the rain and she`s used to a nice warm garage  :lol:

hope its somethin simple !!

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

cosmo

No idea on S.S. Triumph, but can state that MCC are the best guys I've ever run across.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

HappyMan

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey HappyMan !! sorry to about yer Tigger missbehavin on yer trip !!

think back, have you just refueled ?? might have got some bad fuel, water in it !!

did the battery crank it ok ?? did ya leave her out in the rain and she`s used to a nice warm garage  :lol:

hope its somethin simple !!

good luck !!

KK

Thanks for the well wishes KK.  I don't ride because it's boring but I ride to keep from getting bored!  Sometimes the excitement you get just isn't what you hoped for...but its still exciting!  I was hoping for bad gas but ran her down this afternoon and re-fueled and did not improve.  

Battery is fine.

I ran down here in about eight hours of rain.  However, when I think back on it she mis-fired last weekend when out for a ride.  I thought I had accidentally bumped the kill switch.  But today she did the same thing several times and I wasn't near the kill switch and then she was surging pretty badly.  I'm sure they are related.

HappyMan

Quote from: "cosmo"No idea on S.S. Triumph, but can state that MCC are the best guys I've ever run across.

Cosmo

Thanks Cosmo.  I called them but they race Sunday and re-cooperate on Mondays.  That aint good for my schedule.  If possible I want to get Tigger in on Monday.

My other option is to trailer her back to Minneapolis.  I've got a truck and trailer here with some of my employees but the trailer is the wrong type for the bike.  It's enclosed and wouldn't fit in unless I laid her down to get through the rear door.  Once in I might be able to stand her up but not sure how I would strap Tigger down.  

Ideally I get the bike in on Monday, stay an extra night, rent the car an extra day, and continue on my trip up the Trans Wisconson Adv Trail a day later.  I just doubt that will happen.  We'll see......

coachgeo

Get a 10 foot uhaul truck.  You can also sleep in the back if you want to ruff it. There is tie downs on the walls of the box.  

I can set you up a reservation anywhere in the US.  940 686 2979
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

HappyMan

Thanks Coachgeo.  My wife and I decided that she's going to pick the bike and I up.  Chicago is not a great distance via freeways and calculated it out to be cheaper.

HappyMan

Got Tigger back today.....running better but still not fixed.  :roll:

They went through the tune, found a very bad fuel filter and figured that to be it.  Good guess but she's still surging.  What's left from the problem I had in Illinois is surging that happens when the throttle is almost closed but not quite.  At it's best it's a surge and at it's worst it's like some on is hitting the kill switch on and off briefly.

I'll drop it off at the dealer again tomorrow but if anyone has any guesses I can pass along it would be appreciated.  My best guess is a bad TPS.

I'll repost this in a better spot but thought I'd keep it with the original post to complete the thread.

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

HappyMan

I wish I had an answer.  They never found anything substantial.  I drove to Banff and back and it failed twice after re-fueling in the 3000 mile trip.  It's never gotten back to where it wouldn't run like it did in Chicago so I believe we had multiple problems, one of which could have been bad fuel since that was probably the cause of the failure during my trip....?

The bike has been solid and I'm probably a little paranoid but after my trip I feel pretty confident that the problem has gone away.  I hope.

EvilBetty

But you're still having the hard surging problem?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD